Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard comaptability help

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 10:05:16 AM

Hi, my friend and i are building rigs with the amd fx 8320 cpu and the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 MoBo, we need help with gpu compatibality. at the moment we will only have 1 display but later will go to 2, so brings us to our issue. we would like the Palit GF GTX650 2gb card but are unsure if it is compatible with this board and if sli is compatible. We are confident that the other card we looked at when we ran into this issue, the hd 7770 ghz edition 1gb, will work with this board and crossfire will work so we can hook up 2 monitors in the future. So is our nvidia card compatible?? and is sli?? also which card is better, the hd 7770 ghz edition 1gb or the Palit GF GTX650 2gb for gaming, like high end, high settings etc. PLEASE HELP US!
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:23:58 AM

Radeon HD7770 is better. You could probably get high settings in games at 1680x1050 or lower. You can max some older games at 1080p but for newer games, probably medium settings.
m
l
a c 172 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:37:26 AM

Any single card will allow for multiple monitors. For high-end gaming across multiple monitors, you're probably going to want to go with two high-end graphic cards. Your selected motherboard does not support SLI, though it does support CrossfireX (it will also support any single graphic card). The problem is, the second PCI-Ex16 slot is only at x4. If you're wanting to go Crossfire (or SLI), it's better to have the two PCI-Ex16 slots drop to x8/x8 (or even better not drop at all and run x16/x16).

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:41:35 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Any single card will allow for multiple monitors. For high-end gaming across multiple monitors, you're probably going to want to go with two high-end graphic cards. Your selected motherboard does not support SLI, though it does support CrossfireX (it will also support any single graphic card). The problem is, the second PCI-Ex16 slot is only at x4. If you're wanting to go Crossfire (or SLI), it's better to have the two PCI-Ex16 slots drop to x8/x8 (or even better not drop at all and run x16/x16).

-Wolf sends

I don't think he's trying to game on multiple monitors. He's probably hooking up 2 monitors for work or general usage while still game on a single monitor.
m
l
a c 172 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:46:39 AM

I'm sure the OP will let us know once s/he chimes back in.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 6, 2013 9:45:52 PM

Ill game on 2 but a bit but mainly just on one and use the other for having chrome open on while gaming or something, but could this card handle 2 or 3 screens gaming? Or crossfired could it handle it? Or is there a better card for not much more for what i want, I don't have a big budget
m
l
a c 172 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 9:52:16 PM

For single monitor gaming, the HD7770 EzioAs recommends is fine. It will also handle multiple monitors (even for gaming, but not as well).

-Wolf sends
m
l
!