Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Problem in Alienware

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2012 3:31:49 PM

Hello, this is my first question here. I use Alienware M14x with the following specifications:
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
RAM: 6 GB
Processor: Intel Core i7

The problem is, my laptop is almost an year old now. I have played quite heavy games without any problem and glitches. But two months back I have been experiencing glitches in my gaming experience and since last two weeks from now, the problem has increased. When I start the game, it works fine but after 2-3 minutes it becomes dead slow and the temperature on GPUZ reaches upto 97C-98C. Is there any problem with the fans? If yes then how do I check whether the fans are working properly or not?
It's been a hard time and also it has been a trouble finding the problem. Please HELP! :( 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 3:38:07 PM

It seems that it needs to be given a good dust cleaning. It'll clog the heat fins and lower airflow increasing temperatures.
November 22, 2012 3:48:48 PM

Okay, thank you so much. I will look into this. :) 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 9:42:14 PM

I'm not sure if this would be covered under warranty or not. But to be done right you should disassemble it. If you want to do it the best you can even reapply the thermal paste. This should lower temperatures compared to what they were to start.

This is good thermal paste if you don't mind doing it yourself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
November 23, 2012 11:32:37 AM

Well thanks again. The warranty of my laptop has finished, so I am planning to disassemble the laptop myself. I will try to do this asap and will let you know if everything works fine.
Hoping for the best. :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 3:29:12 PM

Good luck and just be thorough to make sure you know what your doing with taking it apart and especially putting it together.
Score
December 12, 2012 5:36:11 AM

Best answer selected by ashima123.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:42:12 AM

So I take it you tried it and it worked?
Score
!