New Year, time to update my gaming rig

Hey Guys

Looking for some advice please.

I have a now elderly gaming setup and am looking to upgrade. I have an Antec 900 Case and a decent PSU which I would like to keep.

On the list for replacement are :

CPU
Motherboard
Memory
GPU

I also plan to buy an SSD, I was considering splitting this between a 60 GB SSD for the OS and another 250gb to run my steam games. Then just using my old HDDs for photos, music, backups, etc

I mainly play at the moment Secret World, EVE, Dishonored, Assasins Creed Family, etc. I do not have widescreen monitors, I have older monitors running standard resolution which I am fine with.

I have spent, as we all do, too much tme searching and changing my mind so I am giving in :)

My initial choice was the FX6100 s thats about the budget I was looking at for a processor, I did not want to spend more than £500 total..

Anyone have recommendations ?? :)

thanks

Alik
8 answers Last reply
More about year time update gaming
  1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H
    RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD7870 Hawk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95.23 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $578.19
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 10:32 EST-0500)
  2. Well, I think at UK prices that would break the bank

here is what I have so far :

FX6100 - 84 quid
    Asus 970 Mobo - 64 quid
    Corsair 16GB CL10 Vengeance - 60 quid
    Nvidia GT 640 - 73 quid

Disks/mounting kits - 200 quid

So thats within budget, so some critique or alternates in the same price range sphere would be appreciated.
  3. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  4. What are disks/mounting kits and why are they so expensive? If you're talking about 2.5" mounts they are cheap

Anyway, I suggest you change the cpu to an FX-4300, get 8GB of 1600MHz memory and get at least a Radeon HD7770 or 7750 which smokes the GT640 any day
  5. ok, thanks, would an intel processor be better, i3220 are same price today on amazon ??
  6. It depends on the usage. For gaming, the i3-3220 is usually faster although the FX-4300 is pretty close as well in certain games. If you want to go Intel, get that cpu, a B75 motherboard, 4-8GB RAM and a GTX650ti/Radeon 7850 1GB(faster, but slightly more expensive)

I honestly think you should go intel because I've seen benchmarks on Assassin's Creed 3 and Intel cpu dominates AMD
  7. Yes an i3 would be better than a 6100. However, a 6300 would be slightly better than an i3.
  8. ok, thanks very much, will go the intel route and spend extra on the graphics, apprecaited.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product