January 6, 2013 1:50:43 PM

What is the bottleneck in my system.

Specs:
Cpu: Amd fx-6100
Gpu: Amd radeon HD 7850 Xfire
Mobo: ASrock 970 extrem3
HDD: 1TB HDD Sata 6gb/s
RAM: 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

I think it's my CPU, but I'm not sure. I got the same performance with and without crossfire.

More about : bottleneck system

a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 2:55:47 PM

Amd fx-6100
their many cores are weak....

similar performance to dual core intel. dont ask how 4 core intel architecture performs....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 2:57:13 PM

make sure you provide enough power cable to power your 2 GPU, dont use molex to power pin gpu
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 3:18:24 PM

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Some games do not do well with crossfire, so that might not be a cpu issue.
Most games do not use more than 2-3 fast cores. Half of your FX-6100 may be irrelevant, and... the bulldozer cores are perhaps only 70% as effective at the same clock rate as Intel.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 3:18:34 PM

Assuming you CPU is indeed the limiting factor, here are options:

$30: buy an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one (coolermanster hyper 212 evo is the standby around here). and overclock your 6100. This will be almost enough for a pair of 7850's and is by far teh cheapest option.

$160: buy an fx 6300 ($130 from amazon) along with the hyper 212 and overclock it. At the 4.5+ Ghz mark, the 6300 performs on par with an i5-3450. This would give you a pretty well balanced system.

$300+: dump the platform for a sandy/ivy bridge I5.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:03:09 PM

quilciri said:
Assuming you CPU is indeed the limiting factor, here are options:

$30: buy an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one (coolermanster hyper 212 evo is the standby around here). and overclock your 6100. This will be almost enough for a pair of 7850's and is by far teh cheapest option.

$160: buy an fx 6300 ($130 from amazon) along with the hyper 212 and overclock it. At the 4.5+ Ghz mark, the 6300 performs on par with an i5-3450. This would give you a pretty well balanced system.

$300+: dump the platform for a sandy/ivy bridge I5.

What would be the best intel cpu that would give me the fps that I would normally get with Xfire 7850s. Best price preformance ratio.
m
l
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 8:16:16 PM

toomuchtes said:
What would be the best intel cpu that would give me the fps that I would normally get with Xfire 7850s. Best price preformance ratio.

I would not change anything until I understood exactly what the problem was.

For that, more info would be helpful.

1. What games are at issue, and is it single player or multiplayer? For example, BF3 in single player needs graphics power. In multiplayer, it can be very cpu limited.

2. What fps are you getting? What do you need?

3. Is microstuttering an issue for you:
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

4. What resolution are you using, and what level of eye candy do you want?

5. Is consistency of response times important to you?
Here is an interesting comparison of how that plays out with GTX660ti vs. 7950. Might this apply to you?
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...
m
l
January 6, 2013 11:22:47 PM

geofelt said:
I would not change anything until I understood exactly what the problem was.

For that, more info would be helpful.

1. What games are at issue, and is it single player or multiplayer? For example, BF3 in single player needs graphics power. In multiplayer, it can be very cpu limited.

2. What fps are you getting? What do you need?

3. Is microstuttering an issue for you:
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

4. What resolution are you using, and what level of eye candy do you want?

5. Is consistency of response times important to you?
Here is an interesting comparison of how that plays out with GTX660ti vs. 7950.
Might this apply to you?
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...

I mostly play RPGs, skyrim (35-60 fps), fallout new vegas (45-65 fps), fallout 3 (45-65 fps), ect...
With crossfire I thought I would get double the fps, future proofing my pc (I didn't know what I was doing when picking out parts, being self taught and and being my first custom build
I play at 1080p max settings (for skyrim I sometimes use the texture pack, I loose about 3 fps)
m
l
a b À AMD
January 7, 2013 1:02:54 AM

toomuchtes said:
I mostly play RPGs, skyrim (35-60 fps), fallout new vegas (45-65 fps), fallout 3 (45-65 fps), ect...
With crossfire I thought I would get double the fps, future proofing my pc (I didn't know what I was doing when picking out parts, being self taught and and being my first custom build
I play at 1080p max settings (for skyrim I sometimes use the texture pack, I loose about 3 fps)

I don't think your results are out of line.

A year ago, Tom's did an analysis of skyrim.
It appears that the game uses two cores, and faster cores do help.
Your fx-6100 is not very good there.
You might want to read the article.
The individual 7850 cards are comparable to the GTX570 which was one of the cards used in the tests.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

As to the other games, do some research.
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:57:16 AM

geofelt said:
I don't think your results are out of line.

A year ago, Tom's did an analysis of skyrim.
It appears that the game uses two cores, and faster cores do help.
Your fx-6100 is not very good there.
You might want to read the article.
The individual 7850 cards are comparable to the GTX570 which was one of the cards used in the tests.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

As to the other games, do some research.

All the games I have basically use the same engine... So I was looking online and I was wondering which is the best i5 processor?
m
l
a b À AMD
January 7, 2013 2:49:03 AM

toomuchtes said:
All the games I have basically use the same engine... So I was looking online and I was wondering which is the best i5 processor?

The best cpu for gaming is the i5-3570K with a conservative overclock from stock 3.4 to the 4.3 range. It is a $200 cpu.
You will need a Z77 based motherboard to allow overclocking.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 2:51:13 PM

Your total cost to swap to a 3570k and overclock will be at least $330, unless you live near a microcenter

$200 - CPU
$100+ - motherboard
$30 - cooler
m
l
January 7, 2013 6:12:09 PM

geofelt said:
The best cpu for gaming is the i5-3570K with a conservative overclock from stock 3.4 to the 4.3 range. It is a $200 cpu.
You will need a Z77 based motherboard to allow overclocking.

Thank you very much for the help!!!! How much would the preformance increase from going for an i5
m
l
a b À AMD
January 7, 2013 6:18:22 PM

toomuchtes said:
Thank you very much for the help!!!! How much would the preformance increase from going for an i5

I can't tell you; I don't know.
But, the cpu performance for gaming with the 3570K will be about as good as it can get for the next several years.
Haswell, next spring may be 15% faster.
m
l
January 7, 2013 6:30:54 PM

quilciri said:
Your total cost to swap to a 3570k and overclock will be at least $330, unless you live near a microcenter

$200 - CPU
$100+ - motherboard
$30 - cooler

I bought a liquid cooler, but I was waiting to put it in. I live near a microcenter I love that place.
m
l
January 7, 2013 6:33:11 PM

geofelt said:
I can't tell you; I don't know.
But, the cpu performance for gaming with the 3570K will be about as good as it can get for the next several years.
Haswell, next spring may be 15% faster.

Thanks for the replies it was a lot of help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 6:35:24 PM

toomuchtes said:
I bought a liquid cooler, but I was waiting to put it in. I live near a microcenter I love that place.

great, then that'll be about $50 off for you- the 3570k is $190 there, and you'll get $40 off if you also buy the motherboard from them.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 6:46:13 PM

You seem to be getting good FPS on max settings, why upgrade yet.
m
l
January 7, 2013 6:54:02 PM

FinneousPJ said:
You seem to be getting good FPS on max settings, why upgrade yet.

I wanted to be set for a few years. I'm future proofing my system.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 7:13:19 PM

That's silly. Your system still works fine. Why don't you save your money and upgrade in two years or whenever you feel it's inadequate? You will have new, better technology available.
m
l
January 7, 2013 8:29:53 PM

It was going to be in a year to 2 years anyway. I don't have the money
m
l
!