Sign in with
Your question

System hard locks on games or Prime95

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 2:14:19 PM

Gigabyte H77-D3H Mobo
Intel i5-3450 CPU
EVGA GTX660
8 gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
G.SKILL Phoenix III FM-25S3-120GBP3 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State Drive (SSD)

PSU is a 6 year old Xclio 550 watt

DVD Drive is similarly old

Whenever you try and play Skyrim or Civ5 on this box it hard locks after a few seconds. If you try and run Prime95, same deal.

Thoughts:
The PSU has a 4 pin molex plug for the CPU, but this mobo has an 8-pin plug. The thing is, version 1.0 of this board has a 4 pin plug, and since we aren't overclocking, how can this thing eat enough power to need two rails just for it? A single 4 pin molex adapater powered my overclocked E4300 C2D processor just fine. But, its there.

Second thing was memory, but I checked BIOS and XMP is disabled. ITs running at stock DDR31333 speeds.

CoreTemp reports that this thing is running cool when it locks. I ran Skyrim in Windowed mode, and kept CoreTemp and Task Manager open: when it locks, temps are fine and cpu usage isn't over 50%, memory usage is around 33%.

Any idea whats wrong? This box works fine when we don't stress it, hours of internet surfing are possible. Its just when it tries to do anything complex.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 2:34:40 PM

power shortage, you put your stuffs into danger by powering it from non-trusted psu
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:38:43 PM

the power supply may be the issue, as capacitors decline over time.
the core 2 duo was 65 watt and the i5 is 77 watt so it does use more power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but if it software (ie driver or av)
click start type
"record steps to reproduce a problem"
and hit enter

click record
try doing somthing that causes a problem, like a game. try to alt tab out before it would lock up and click stop on record. look at the report for problem.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 3:30:31 PM

the great randini said:
the power supply may be the issue, as capacitors decline over time.
the core 2 duo was 65 watt and the i5 is 77 watt so it does use more power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but if it software (ie driver or av)
click start type
"record steps to reproduce a problem"
and hit enter

click record
try doing somthing that causes a problem, like a game. try to alt tab out before it would lock up and click stop on record. look at the report for problem.

The thing is, previously this PSU pushed a GTX 260 and that E4300 (Which, I forgot to mention, was OC'ed to 3 gigahertz with higher VRAM, basically it matched a 90 watt CPU). So it should have enough oomph, I would think.

I ran Memtest. It locked up during memtest (in the memtest preboot enviroment). I took out one stick of RAM at random and *bam* things started working. It ran about 4 minutes of prime 95 no problem. I restarted, plugged in Skyrim and my GPU (which was out for the Prime95 test) and ran Skyrim and it worked. I got past character creation no problem. Speedfan reported normal temps, etc.

So then just to test things out I tried putting the sticks in a different slot (maybe bad ram slot). No go. It just hard restarted and BSODd. IT has to be a bad stick of RAM.

I'm grabbing RAM out of another box now, I'll try it first. I know it works in that box so here goes nothing.
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:26:25 PM

scryer_360 said:
The thing is, previously this PSU pushed a GTX 260 and that E4300 (Which, I forgot to mention, was OC'ed to 3 gigahertz with higher VRAM, basically it matched a 90 watt CPU). So it should have enough oomph, I would think.

I ran Memtest. It locked up during memtest (in the memtest preboot enviroment). I took out one stick of RAM at random and *bam* things started working. It ran about 4 minutes of prime 95 no problem. I restarted, plugged in Skyrim and my GPU (which was out for the Prime95 test) and ran Skyrim and it worked. I got past character creation no problem. Speedfan reported normal temps, etc.

So then just to test things out I tried putting the sticks in a different slot (maybe bad ram slot). No go. It just hard restarted and BSODd. IT has to be a bad stick of RAM.

I'm grabbing RAM out of another box now, I'll try it first. I know it works in that box so here goes nothing.

So RAM out of the other box did not work. I tried both sticks and it failed to post. Then I tried one stick in the one slot it worked in and in BIOS things went hay-wire, the screen tiled up and I lost control. I did not try multiple slots with that RAM. But I know it works, its in the box I'm typing from right now. DDR3-1066, no XMP. The RAM in the other box has XMP disabled as well.

I put in the "bad stick" of ram I had earlier with nothing else. And lo and behold, it posted. And it is running Prime95 with no errors for like 20 minutes now. If I have two sticks of RAM in this MOBO, the thing fails to post.

MOBO needs rma'd? =This is runnin ghte F7 BIOS, there is an F9 available, should I try a new BIOS.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:20:58 PM

@$!$#@#

So here is what I know: both sticks of ram in, no GPU in, its ran P95 now for like 12 minutes no problem. With the GPU it locks up. With the GPU in but one stick of RAM out, it ran P95 for maybe 8 minutes before I stopped it.

With my old RAM from my LGA1156 build in the thing wouldn't post, then it would post then go haywire (tiled screen in BIOS) after a few minutes in BIOS.

What. Gives. I wanted to say the MOBO needs RMA'd, then the memory needed RMA'd, but the only common denominator appears to be if everything is in. With one of them out, it works.

So you guys may of had something with the PSU. question: if the PSU can't provide the juice, shouldn't the thing just shut down rather than hardlock? OR powercycle or something? Why would it just hardlock when it is not getting enough amperage?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 5:46:02 PM

you put ALL your stuffs into danger by powering it from non-trusted psu

bad electricity can degrade quality anything inside pc
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:15:57 PM

That PSU has worked since 2006 on three different GPU's, two different CPU's, and 4 different mobos.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:07:34 PM

What AMD Radeon is trying to say is that the PSU is old (6 years old by your account) and that power requirements change.

Not only is that PSU absolutely ancient by PSU standards (frankly, kudos to you for keeping one in working order for so long) but that it's almost 100% certain that it's insufficient to power your current machine regardless of overclocking and whatnot.

Your problem is almost certainly that PSU, the fact that it runs fine while idle is likely due to the fact that the i5 can pull as little as 10-15 watts while idle but once SpeedStep kicks in (like when gaming or running Prime 95) it'll jump to 70+ Watts in an instant, thus pulling more power than your PSU is capable of putting out.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 8:33:56 PM

I doubt that the psu is part of your problem.
Xclio is a tier 2 unit on this list, so it is not normally a bad unit at all:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A GTX660 only needs 430W, so you should be plenty good there.

You could buy a molex to 8 pin cpu adapter so you could fully populate the motherboard cpu 8 pin connector. But, usually 4 is ok, and the motherboard manual should tell you when all 8 pins are needed.

I do think you have a ram issue because some ram configurations run, some do not.

Some motherboards are sensitive to ram construction and mismatched ram.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

You can also verify compatibility with the motherboard by accessing the ram vendor's upgrade configurator.

If your ram is supported, you should get lifetime support from the major ram vendors.
m
l
!