CM HAF 932
ASUS P6X58D-E
Windows 7
CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3

It's about 2 and a half years old, but it's running like it's 5 years old. I just reinstalled Windows to see if that would help, it didnt.

Any ideas on what it could be? I do a lot of multitasking, playing a few games and listening to music and watching a movie at once.

Thanks

More about : computer running slow

a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 2:41:01 PM

can you be more specific about what slow?

if you do multitasking, open simultaneous files

try get an 120GB ssd
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:53:54 PM

Check temps it could be throttling from getting hot.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 3:10:17 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. By slow I mean I tried to transfer 20 songs from my external harddrive to my desktop, it took an hour to do 5 songs then froze, then I tried to play a song and halfway through windows media player froze.

It seemed like netflix was having trouble playing by it's self, it just kept getting choppy

All 4 CPU core temperatures are 40 degrees Celsius
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 3:14:20 PM

oh transfer file..... sure... are you using usb 2.0 or 3.0?

and make sure you transfer it only ONE simultaneous transfer, not 2 or more copy pasting
m
l
January 6, 2013 3:30:46 PM

Jvass said:
Thanks for the quick replies. By slow I mean I tried to transfer 20 songs from my external harddrive to my desktop, it took an hour to do 5 songs then froze, then I tried to play a song and halfway through windows media player froze.

It seemed like netflix was having trouble playing by it's self, it just kept getting choppy

All 4 CPU core temperatures are 40 degrees Celsius

If it's freezing while playing them locally, you could have a bad cable or bad drive. The cable is the quickest/cheapest option so try replacing the cable first.
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:04:55 PM

It actually seems to be running smoother now - is it possible that it's because I didn't use it for a month and then started using it?
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:20:03 PM

1TB and above drives, especially when a couple of years old can build up a LOT of clutter.

My advice is to defrag it intensively using something like UltraDefrag.
m
l
!