Sign in with
Your question

Dell 660s for HTPC/DVR?

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 4:03:12 PM

I just bought the lowest end Dell 660s to use as a HTPC and it occurred to me that I should have asked someone in the know if the processor and RAM would be up to the task. I’m primarily concerned about whether it would be adequate for recording TV with Windows Media Center (I have ordered a tuner card as well). I would eventually like to use it to:

- Playback Blu-ray Discs
- Stream HD from internet content providers (Netflix, Amazon, etc.)
- Record over the air TV from up to 4 tuners (I don’t watch that much and can never conceive of needing more than this)
- Playback downloaded HD movies
- Play some retro game ROMs
- Run a program that allows for mouse control with a smartphone/tablet

I’m providing the link to the specs below. If people don’t think this will work I need to know so I can send it back. Thank you for any help or advice you can provide:

Link: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660s/pd

• Processor: Intel Pentium G645 Processor (3M Cache 2.9 GHz)
• 500GB, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
• 4GB,Non-ECC, DDR3 1600MHz - 1 DIMM
• Intel HD Integrated Graphics
• 2 PCIe slots

More about : dell 660s htpc dvr

January 6, 2013 4:09:07 PM

yes it will work perfectly as htpc :) 
intel hd graphic will be sufficient
January 6, 2013 4:21:23 PM

Agreed. That system should do everything except play blu-ray discs (need the BL drive and software for that).

-Wolf sends
Related resources
January 6, 2013 4:29:52 PM

Awesome. Thanks to both of you. I know it needs the software for bluray but that will be a later upgrade. I thought this would work but I started doubting myself...Thanks!
May 26, 2013 5:16:26 AM

sandersw said:
Awesome. Thanks to both of you. I know it needs the software for bluray but that will be a later upgrade. I thought this would work but I started doubting myself...Thanks!

Check this out - and if you move quickly, it is on sale today only, free!
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/aiseesoft-blu-ray-pl...

November 13, 2013 1:06:54 PM

The 660s now has the G2030 processor -- can I assume that this build would also be adequate for an HTPC with 4GB RAM? I want to be sure it will stream Netflix in HD, and also be able to wake from sleep via RC6 ir, which seems to be a struggle on many PCs.
!