Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a PC, software and hardware questions.

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 6, 2013 4:34:14 PM

I have a few questions regarding some PC building,

I have my parts ready to be bought,

CPU - Intel i5-2500k
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Case - Cooler Master RC-p32-KKUS
HDDV - Seagate ST500DM002
DVD - Samsung SH-224BB

My current PC was a store bought HP, and I changed the graphics card to an Nvidia GTX-560Ti.

First question:
What makes my CPU an HP computer? Is it in the parts, or in the harddrive?

Seeing as I have a W7 Upgrade disc from HP, it states I am only allowed to use it on an HP product. If I get a new CPU and Mobo, does it change my PC "brand," hence my W7 disc will supposedly no longer be usable.

If I get a completely new parts from scratch, can I use my upgrade disc to install W7 on that? Is it possible to use that disc on more than one system?

Any advice, answers are appreciated, thanks in advance!
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 77 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 4:48:29 PM

2500k is older generation

get 3570k with similar price
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b α HP
a c 78 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 9:24:21 PM

Quote:
What makes my CPU an HP computer? Is it in the parts, or in the harddrive?

It's probably a combination of tweaked hardware (particularly, the motherboard) and customized software that renders a system as an "HP" system.

Quote:
Seeing as I have a W7 Upgrade disc from HP, it states I am only allowed to use it on an HP product. If I get a new CPU and Mobo, does it change my PC "brand," hence my W7 disc will supposedly no longer be usable.

More than likely, the W7 Upgrade disc from HP is specifically designed to ONLY work with HP products. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but when you link the upgrade OS to specific software and hardware, it just may not work with off-the-shelf hardware.

Quote:
If I get a completely new parts from scratch, can I use my upgrade disc to install W7 on that? Is it possible to use that disc on more than one system?

More than likely, the answer is no. OS licensing is generally tied to the motherboard anyway, so even if you could get a successful installation, Microsoft may refuse to activate the license, leaving you with a defunct system.

If you're building a new system, your best bet is to get a new operating system.

-Wolf sends

P.S. As for your components, I agree with AMD Radeon in that you should look at getting the latest generation CPU.
m
0
l
!