3rd monitor not detected

StanChase

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi:

I was using two monitors with two ATI Radeon 4800 cards and that worked fine. I just purchased another monitor (Samsung) and now I cannot get it detected. The device manager is only showing 2 generic PnP monitors. I'm not sure why they would not be the specific monitors brands either (one Samsung and one Acer).

Any way of getting the third monitor detected? I've heard about deleting the graphics card drivers and then the monitor might be deteced. But I do not know the procedure for doing that.

Thanks

Solution
Crossfire doesn't support more than 2 monitors. So you'll either have to disable Crossfire when you're not gaming or change your cards to the 5800 series that support Eyefinity.

StanChase

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanks a million, that was exactly the problem. Once crossfire was disabled it immediately started to indentify monitors.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Cheers for the medal - happy to help.

Incidentally, your monitors are coming up as Generic PnP because monitors don't have internal ID data. Windows knows it's PnP because it can detect the technology but it won't know anything else.

It's no biggie, but your monitors may well have a driver disc that has INF file and some colour profile settings that you can load in.