Building my First PC

G

Hey all,

This is my first post, so please excuse minor problems (like if hyperlinks aren't working). I am a 16 y/o trying to get off of the piece of s*** (I starred it out) laptop I currently own (I have an Asus Notebook X54H). I don't have much money to work with (seeing as my age and lack of time for a job), I am looking to spend in the $500 to $600 range... I know this is a heavy limiter but unfortunately I don't have much to work with.

I am finding it hard to pick our parts, I want to be able to game and record but I know with my budget it wont be the easiest thing to do... I have only one thing "nailed down" and that is the CPU, I want to get an i5 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz Processor (I know this destroys my budget basically but I do no think I have a choice).

I cant decide on a Motherboard, despite my extreme searching on the subject (I have spent hours on this forum alone trying to find a possible answer to my problem). Then there is the issue of everything else, once I get the MOBO nailed down I think I can start looking at everything else...

Any and every little bit of help is appreciated...

Thanks in Advanced,
Josh

PS: I want to do the majority of my purchase through NewEgg, is there a better place that I can get the same products for perhaps cheaper but similar service history?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($106.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $516.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 14:02 EST-0500)

leaving you room for monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc

Solution