Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on, monitor does not get signal. Please help.

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 5:01:47 PM

Hello,
I recently built a computer (Within the past 3 weeks) and I was working perfectly up until 2 days ago. I left it on to finish a download over night and when I woke up the computer was on but the monitor was not receiving a signal. Since then I have tested both PCIe slots, both sticks of ram, disconnected the HDD, unplugged and replugged just about everything, and reset BIOs. That is when I realized that I was getting 5 short post beeps followed by a pause and then 1 sharper beep. I have done some research and this might mean a processor failure but I am hesitant to take it out. Can someone help me solve this problem?
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Power Supply XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
If I do end up having to take out my processor will I have to reapply thermal paste? If my processor is dead what are the chances it is covered by a warranty? Can someone help me solve this problem?

UPDATE:
After reading some removes about my motherboard and hearing similar complaints I am going to most likely RMA. Thank you for all the help.(I hope this works)
January 6, 2013 5:16:15 PM

hmmm the beeps is ussualy a warning so it cant be fried

and if you remove your cpu you have the remove the old paste and apply a new paste on it
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:19:19 PM

Double check if you placed it in right? it may have dislodged somewhat overnight.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:29:25 PM

This has happend to me on my new build, I don't know if you tried this, but make sure the VGA is plugged into the Video Card. A lot of people put it onto the motherboard. If you already tried this, I have no idea. It could be the Video Card if thats what you have been plugging it into.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:23:52 PM

My motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics so it has always been in the video card. Also the fan for the video card works and im not sure if that means the video card is fine though.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:27:30 PM

Did you try one stick of RAM? It MAY also be a short on a certain part of the Mobo. It doesnt sound like a GPU problem from what I hear.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:36:54 PM

The cpu didn't dislodge and i don't seeing the thermal paste being the problem
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:14:21 PM

orthokid said:
Did you try one stick of RAM? It MAY also be a short on a certain part of the Mobo. It doesnt sound like a GPU problem from what I hear.

I have tried each stick of ram individually in the first slot. I did not see any results.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:15:21 PM

jcurry23 said:
The cpu didn't dislodge and i don't seeing the thermal paste being the problem

I didn't think thermal paste was a problem I just wanted to know if I had to reapply it if I took of my cpu cooler. But thank you.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:18:26 PM

orthokid said:
Double check if you placed it in right? it may have dislodged somewhat overnight.

I have double checked every thing but the cpu and I really don't want to take it out because I don't have anymore thermal paste.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:58:36 PM

5 short beeps is indeed indicative of an error with the processor, however this is also not always a dead CPU.

If possible (I'm not familiar with that model of motherboard, sadly) update your BIOS as I happen to know that the manufacturer loaded BIOS does support your CPU but it isn't exactly reliable, so grab the latest version and update it if you can.

Once you've updated your BIOS, hop into it and load setup defaults. Restart the machine and see if it boots fully. If it does then you can restart and re-do your BIOS settings to taste.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:13:23 PM

How can I update BIOs if I'm not getting any short of picture?
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:18:06 PM

Like I said, I'm not familiar with that model of BIOS but some are capable of being updated from a USB drive even if you can't get a picture. Check your motherboard instruction manual for any instructions regarding if this is even possible.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:37:12 PM

WskOsc said:
Like I said, I'm not familiar with that model of BIOS but some are capable of being updated from a USB drive even if you can't get a picture. Check your motherboard instruction manual for any instructions regarding if this is even possible.

Alright i'll check it out thank you
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:43:22 PM

It could just be a faulty part, its worth calling the returns department, the CPU has a 3 year warranty, and the Mobo has 1 year warranty.
m
l
January 6, 2013 9:52:36 PM

orthokid said:
It could just be a faulty part, its worth calling the returns department, the CPU has a 3 year warranty, and the Mobo has 1 year warranty.

The thing is im not sure what part I need to return.
m
l
!