Upgrading from AMD CPU/Mobo to Intel CPU/Mobo

Hello Everyone!

Happy New Year to you all!

I had a quick question regarding an upgrade that I wanted to do and I'm hoping someone can answer my question. My current machine is an AMD Phenom II X2-550 with 4 gb DDR2 memory and an Gigabyte motherboard (AMD 760g chipset) + Geforce 550 ti video card. I plan to upgrade to a Core i5 3330P and an MSI Z77A G41 motherboard with GSkill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3 1600 MB RAM. Although I don't game much anymore, I do occasionally play PlanetSide 2! And my current system can't handle it.

Would it be necessary to wipe out my system volume (the one with windows loaded on it) and reload a fresh copy of windows+software or can I simply swap the mobo/cpu/ram and just install the chipset/cpu drivers when I load into windows?

Also I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 loaded on a Sata II 1TB WD 7200 RPM drive.

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrading mobo intel mobo
  1. I think you can install the new drivers, but delete/ uninstal the old ones.
  2. ^ he never tried it himself.... dead wrong

i5 3330P is often priced similar with 3470... keep an eye for 3470 price :)

if you change the mobo, no direct swap, fresh install is a must
  3. Orthokid are you sure?

Has anyone ever attempted/succeeded in doing a CPU/Mobo upgrade without formatting the system drive?

AMD Radeon, Thanks! I was wondering if you could offer a little bit of an explanation as to why it's mandatory to do a fresh install? Would it cause some problems with Windows 7?
  4. Yeah, I was just thinking off the top of my head and have no experience, lol.
  5. It has been done, especially if the chipsets are similar (ie. same cpu type) but will always cause a bunch of trouble and you probably will have to re-install anyway. Best to backup your data and do the fresh install with all the latest drivers. If you're not going to overclock you can get a cheaper, non z77, motherboard...
  6. Yep, I don't plan on Overclocking. I just want something quick and stable. I like the 3rd gen Core i5 and also the PCIE 3.0 that Intel motherboards have to offer.

I was searching for a good H77 chipset motherboard, but majority of the reviews said they were DOA or have some issues with audio/USB/Stability, so I thought I'd go for a better quality board. Can you recommend an H77 board that's cheaper (yet stable enough) than the MSI Z77 (currently on sale at Tigerdirect)?
  7. this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
    4 stars on newegg

nothing perfect from all the brand, there must be a defective one in 100 mass production
  8. The only issue with the board you mentioned is that it has only 2 RAM slots (because its Micro ATX). I want to be able to add more RAM in the future, so I need at least 4 slots. If I search the same chipset from the same brand in ATX form factor, its $80 which is more than the MSI Z77.

H77 AsRock :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

Z77 MSI :- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3431743&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

Anyone have any experience with this particular board?

I'll do some more research on which board would suit my needs best before buying.

Regarding the question in the OP, I think I'll need to buy a Blu Ray Burner to burn all my data, any recommendations on something reliable and durable?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt AMD CPUs Systems