Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 in Crossfire or Sapphire VaporX Radeon HD 7970

Deceptivejunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870. It plays most of my games on the highest settings, but in games like Skyrim, it stutters a little when a lot of AI is on the screen at once. I also use my PC for video editing.

Should I buy another 7870(Gigabyte version is 240$, but stays cool), or get a Sapphire VaporX 7970(6 GB), which is 600$? I'll have to save up either way, but which will I benefit more from in the long run?

EDIT: I also run just one monitor right now, but I plan on getting a 3-monitor set-up eventuallu

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
the sapphire 7870 come with 6 pin to molex adapters so you wont need to worrie about how many 6 pin connectors your psu has .

i personally will be running 2 of these already have 1 overclocked and get pretty decent numbers so far my best bench mark on 3d11 perfomance is 8450 i planning on a 13000 + score after the second card comes in .

the 1 7870 ghz oc edition that lets my play planetside 2 on max settings and still get fps between 55-160 fps with v-sync and smoothing off shadows low, everything else is on max settings. using an amd fx-8350 cpu

will i need a better power supply then this one to run crossfire 7870's ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182278

and if your absoultly sure it wont work, can some please provide a fair priced psu that will work.

for skyrim the 7870 should not have a problem, any stuttering will be emphasized by crossfire. get a better single card. the stuttering could be caused by your cpu overheating and throttling, among many other things. I could run skyrim with a single gtx660 maxed out at 60fps solid, and a 7870 is slightly better than a 660.

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
If you have an amd CPU it is a must to turn all power saving features off like throttling turn you windows power setting to performance to doable throttling also heck in your bios for power saving and auto settings and set it up manually this should eliminate most stuttering issues with amd CPUs

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
If you have an amd CPU it is a must to turn all power saving features off like throttling turn you windows power setting to performance to doable throttling also heck in your bios for power saving and auto settings and set it up manually this should eliminate most stuttering issues with amd CPUs