Sign in with
Your question

Ideal PSU for Intel i5 3570k Overclocking & HD 6870 Crossfire

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 8:43:25 PM

Hello,

About 1 or 2 weeks ago, I recently swapped out my OCZ StealthXStream 600w power supply for a refurbished OCZ EliteXStream 800w psu. It says it delivers 744w on a single 12v rail with 62 amps.

An interesting thing to note was that, upon installing the unit and connecting the power cord, I heard a very low volume buzzing (like a electrical spark kind of sound) even when the PSU's on/off switch was set to off.

At first, I didn't think too much of it and decided to run some Battlefioeld 3 on a full 64-player server. I never thought that my I5 3570k would bottleneck my cards even for BF3 but, at stock speeds, it hit 100% usage quite a few times. If it wasn't hitting 100% usage, it was anywhere between 60%-90%.

I overclocked the i5 3570k and saw improvements, as well as seeing both GPUs @ full 100% utilization. These overclocks were definitely stable enough to run BF3; I also ran some custom tests in Prime95 to make sure there was no crashing/errors. Temperatures were well within safe ranges <75C

The problem is that, my stable cpu overclock settings from a maximum of a week or 2 ago, are showing signs of instability.

Also, randomly, I decided to turn on my PC and heard high piched squeal come out of the PSU. (This happened on my older 600w PSU). However, it was just that one time and I haven't heard it since.

Today, I swapped out my power strip for a more decent quality one and the high pitched squeal seemed to have stopped but, the weird "buzz" or "spark sound" is still audible only during the booting stage of the PC (that buzzing just happens once, like a little click, and then I don't really hear it again).

- I've read a lot of reviews on this OCZ EliteXStream 800w and most are negative. (Many reviews state the PSU died within the first couple months).
- I was hoping the refurbished one would provide to be a bit more stable
- I'm also seeing lots of CPU spikes during Battlefield 3 gameplay.

Just for reference, Starcraft II, a less demanding game than BF3, runs like butter.

Main Question: Is this PSU dying on me?
- Could it possibly be RAM as well?

RIG:
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2 ghz
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Crossfire
OCZ Vertex 3 90 GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)DDR3-1600 MHZ @ 1.65v CL9
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
OCZ EliteXStream 800w

January 6, 2013 9:11:25 PM

OCZ's power supplies are pretty good. And 800W is more than enough for your system. Kingston HyperX RAM is decent, too. If the squeal happened to your old PSU, then there might be a problem with where the power is coming from. The electrical outlet that you use might be damaged and it's not supporting enough power.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 10:50:40 PM

You're looking at 700W+ really. I'd get 750W if it were me.
m
l
!