What is minint

mrbig_56

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
When I view my Address leases in DHCP, most of the leases have names such as jackson.blank.com. The others have minint-frs78g3.blank.com.
I'm trying to find out what does minint mean?

riser

Illustrious
Minint stands for Minimum Windows NT - It is a preinstallation name used by things like WinPE (Windows PE) or even BartPE. The alphanumeric characters are the serial number of the system. This is found in the bios, so when WinPE or another program like it run, it pulls Minint and adds the unique serial number to the name.

riser

Illustrious
First you need to know how they are getting there. I'm guessing you have dynamic updates turned off, otherwise when the PC picked up a new name with the same IP, the system would update DNS. As it stands it sounds like dynamic updates are off, thus only the DHCP server can update DNS.
That being said, there is a chance you are updating your environment in a non-standard way. An example being dumping the ARP tables from your switches into DNS. That's not a popular way of doing it though.

Verify if you have dynamic updates allowed on your DNS server.

allvers

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It is filling up my client address leases in DHCP.
g.gif

baseknock1

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Mostly accurate. The alphanumeric characters are randomly generated and not the serial number of the system.