Your question

Help me build my dream machine

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 10:54:12 PM

I have it in my head that I am capable of building my own mod, where I get that idea I have no idea. This will be my second attempt; my first was a complete disaster. Meaning, I installed a Koolance external water cooler only to find (the hard way) that they NEED to be tested “before” powering the motherboard. OUCH!! :cry: 

So why am I here? Why not just get to work making a mess of things again? Well to answer honestly, I’m not happy with my current build. It is seven years old and still going but its graphics and memory are too limited. I have spent countless hours reading this site (packed full of awesome mods) and reviews to get ideas for this build. And thought you might be willing to look over what I have and make a few suggestions.

The build itself is a few weeks away as I went slightly over budget, so this will give me time to tinker with it on paper before the commitment. This build is IMO looking toward the future with 1 screen and 1 video card now but 3 screens and 2 cards in a year.

I have a lot to learn in a short time, always used cable select to manage drives but now desire raid 0, hope that is easy to set up. I also desire a 15% - 20% over-clock of the CPU and maybe a slight over-clocking of the video card as well; I have never attempted an over-clocking. For data backup I will be installing an eSATA/USB external HDD case with a 1TB SATA HDD and using Casper™ 7.0 for daily auto backups. The rest of the components I am sure you will understand better than I do. Your comments, suggestions, and criticism are welcome.

2- Intel 335 Series SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1- Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System (closed system, no leaks)

1- Seagate SV35 Series ST1000VX000 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1- Rosewill Tachyon Series Tachyon-1000 Continuous 1000W @ 50 Degrees C ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready (maybe a little overkill)

1- Rosewill RX-358 U3C BLK 3.5" Black USB3.0 & eSATA External Enclosure

1- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit – OEM

1- MadCatz M.M.O. 7 MCB4371300C2/04/1 Glossy Black 15 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac

1- Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

1- GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1- Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless USB Connector Circumaural Gaming Headset

1- Corsair Vengeance K90 Black/Metal USB Wired Gaming Performance, MMO Mechanical Keyboard

1- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A2400C9

1- COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1- ASUS VG Series VG278H Black 27" 2 ms (Gray to gray) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LED Backlight LCD Monitor (2 more next year)

1- ASUS GTX690-4GD5 GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (another next year)

1- ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler

1- BitFenix Recon Fan Controller model BFA-RCN-KS-RP (front, side, rear, VGA duct)

I know giving you everything is a bit overboard, but I am looking for opinions, your knowledge and experience might save me some frustration later. I play World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike, RoM, and tinker with some video editing. I am disabled so I spend a lot of time on my computer.

Thanks for looking

More about : build dream machine

January 6, 2013 10:58:20 PM

You might want to distill that list down to the important stuff, the fact that the CPU is buried dead center in it doesn't help for communication. Also we dont need to know your buying a HDMI cable and cable ties.
January 6, 2013 11:05:09 PM

sorry about that. I took out what i don't need opinions on. thanks for looking
Related resources
January 6, 2013 11:19:00 PM

It looks like an ultimate gaming machine with a not so ultimate but still strong video editing/compute performance.

Couple of things I can see.

- You dont need a 1000W PSU, something like an 850W will cover you for dual 690's.

- You dont need Windows Ultimate, there is just simply no point for it over Professional for the home user (or even Home Premium if you dont need 16GB+ RAM). If fact I advise getting Windows 8 64bit.

- On a rig of this caliber, you can get real watercooling and not the all-in-one solutions that barely perform better than air. Something like an XSPC Raystorm RX240 kit will perform way better and is only ~$30 more. It will also allow you to expand the loop later to cool those 690's, though I think you will need a lot of radiator to cool two of them.

- No point for RAM above 1600Mhz, and chances are that kit runs at 1.65V, which is bad your your Intel CPU. Need a RAM kit that runs at 1.5v or less. Also you may want to get Low-Profile RAM, you considering that your at least going to get an all-in-one watercooler this probably isnt an issue.

- The HDD you picked is optimized for surveillance systems where it will have to cope with sustained writes, not really desktop usage. Get a HDD from the Barracuda series.
January 6, 2013 11:20:49 PM

Are you buying from Cyberpower or are you building your own? There's a lot of stuff that you don't need in that build (the fan controller, external enclosure, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate for starters) and I think that cooling system is ridiculous overkill. You could build your own for far less and get a better system out of it.

I personally wouldn't purchase an aftermarket VGA cooler - there's potential for something to go wrong there and manufacturers will void warranties if they find out you've been using one. On a $1K video card I wouldn't take that chance.

I also wouldn't purchase a 690 - dual GTX 670s will give you near identical performance for far less money. Don't purchase Intel SSDs either - I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Get something like a Vertex 4 or a Crucial M4 instead. I'd also drop the closed liquid loop and instead purchase a Noctua D14 instead.

For a gaming rig you don't need a 1K PSU and you certainly don't need the 3770K either - you can drop that to the i5-3570K.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($424.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($424.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1985.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 20:23 EST-0500)
January 6, 2013 11:35:41 PM

Thank you for your advice, looking everything up and reading about it now but wanted to post this. I am buying most everything from Newegg. I am saving it to a wish list that is now public titled rick7425. The few items I cannot get from Newegg will be purchased from quality site.
January 7, 2013 12:16:27 AM

When I was building my computer I was told that 850W wouldn't be enough for dual 690's. Considering you're putting all the bells and whistles in your computer, I would say 1000W would be fine and would give you that extra sense of security. Honestly though if you're just playing WoW or counter strike this machine is insanely overkill. You would be able to max out those games and do some video editing for 1/3 the price.

Also the guy who said two gtx 670s can reach the same performance is dead wrong. A single 690 is almost as powerful as two 670s.

Go for a 660Ti or single 670 and a 450W platinum power supply, the i7 3770k is great if you're doing video editing. 8gb @ 1866ghz is fine for video editing, if you're a hardcore editor consider getting 12GB. If you want the best Z77 chipset mobo go for the Sabertooth Z77, it looks nice performs nice and has a 5 year warranty. For what you're doing you don't need a Noctua nor liquid cooling, just get a hyper 212 evo unless you're a hardcore overclocker (which you wont need to be) then you can go for the noctua otherwise it's not worth it. With the money you're saving from not getting dual 690's you'll be able to get a 480gb+ SSD and a 1tb 10000RPM velociraptor hard drive and a nice full tower case.
January 7, 2013 1:18:45 AM

My ultimate goal is to have a triple 3d monitor gaming system for WoW 3d (completely insane I know, but hey). I want a system that knows no lag in video editing (I do very little now but might pick up a bit when the computer can handle it) and can render Daz Studio better without that black-screen reboot). Counter-Strike and Diablo do ok now, I’m sure they will be awesome later.

Going down to the i5 was a thought at first, but I like the reviews of the 3770k much more I in fact considered the 3930k for a brief period (according to what I have read it will do nothing for me except empty my pocket).

As for the Sabertooth, that is one mean board, but when comparing the bench tests side by side (if I remember correctly) the Z77X-UD5H out performed it. And this option gives me a cable less link to printer/fax in the other room (I hope). When I finish reading about the cooler and options regarding it I will try to find that link and double check.

I have little faith in Windows 8 ATM, but I am changing from 7 ultimate to 7 professional. I am also changing from the 2400 1.6v memory to 1600 1.5v low profile (sticking with 16gig for now). Maybe after the build there will be room for a memory fan.

Not sure about the Vertex 4…
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-...

Please… this is a learning experience for me and I am dead set on getting it right. Don’t stop telling me where I am wrong, you are providing so great information and I am very grateful for it.

edit: P.S. after market VGA cooler on a 1k video card IS a bad idea... thank you, you may have saved me.
January 7, 2013 3:19:16 AM

If you really want to improve the cooling of the GPU you could always replace the thermal paste, this usually decreases the temps from 5-10 degrees. I suggest Arctic MX4, from what I've heard it's the best for that.

16GB is overkill. Unless what you're saying is you already have it. I'd go for 1866 ram, it's the highest you can go while staying safe.

This build will allow you to max WoW on 3D and utilize the 120hz for super smooth gameplay, along with great multitasking and video editing capabilities:

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wiYa

I don't know much about SSD's so I didn't put one in.
January 7, 2013 3:38:17 AM

:(  this motherboard does not support 1866 ram. Starting to think i need to start this planning all over... And the water cooling setups I am looking at are starting to scare me LOL, but I am up to the challenge.

There are some nice systems out there, but this one will take your breath...

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/threads/8956-my-new-ga...

I will never do anything like that but it gives me some great ideas :) 

**Continue reading water cooling or rethink Motherboard**
January 7, 2013 4:23:58 AM

Wow that is incredible. I've been interested in modding and making custom cases but I don't really know anyone with the tools to do it or what tools you would need lol.

1866 isn't really that important, if you really want that motherboard then you can go for it. Otherwise I would look for something slightly better and more aesthetically pleasing.
January 7, 2013 4:45:34 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
When I was building my computer I was told that 850W wouldn't be enough for dual 690's. Considering you're putting all the bells and whistles in your computer, I would say 1000W would be fine and would give you that extra sense of security. Honestly though if you're just playing WoW or counter strike this machine is insanely overkill. You would be able to max out those games and do some video editing for 1/3 the price.

Also the guy who said two gtx 670s can reach the same performance is dead wrong. A single 690 is almost as powerful as two 670s.

How am I wrong? I cite this benchmark: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/39605-nvidia-gef...

Every single benchmark in this article puts the GTX 690 within +- 2 FPS of each other.

Quote:
Go for a 660Ti or single 670 and a 450W platinum power supply, the i7 3770k is great if you're doing video editing. 8gb @ 1866ghz is fine for video editing, if you're a hardcore editor consider getting 12GB. If you want the best Z77 chipset mobo go for the Sabertooth Z77, it looks nice performs nice and has a 5 year warranty.

Wait - the OP wants to get a powerful gaming / general use PC and you're suggesting a far less powerful GPU and a 450W power supply? :heink: 

Also don't purchase the Sabertooth - it's overrated, expensive, and the thermal armor traps more heat than it prevents.

Quote:
or what you're doing you don't need a Noctua nor liquid cooling, just get a hyper 212 evo unless you're a hardcore overclocker (which you wont need to be) then you can go for the noctua otherwise it's not worth it. With the money you're saving from not getting dual 690's you'll be able to get a 480gb+ SSD and a 1tb 10000RPM velociraptor hard drive and a nice full tower case.

Why would you waste money on a Velociraptor HD? Don't purchase expensive storage devices that aren't worth the cost per GB and don't give you that much of an extra benefit. Also the 480GB SSD isn't really worth it right now.

Quote:
As for the Sabertooth, that is one mean board, but when comparing the bench tests side by side (if I remember correctly) the Z77X-UD5H out performed it. And this option gives me a cable less link to printer/fax in the other room (I hope). When I finish reading about the cooler and options regarding it I will try to find that link and double check.

Here's the thing about the Sabertooth - every single review of it I've read has said that the thermal armor covering the board isn't ready for prime time and it actually gets hotter with higher usage. And you know what Asus has done to counter this? Include two very cheaply made 80mm fans that can be mounted below the motherboard.

Quote:
I have little faith in Windows 8 ATM, but I am changing from 7 ultimate to 7 professional. I am also changing from the 2400 1.6v memory to 1600 1.5v low profile (sticking with 16gig for now). Maybe after the build there will be room for a memory fan.

Yeah you don't need Windows 7 Ultimate unless you need the language packs or XP emulation. I have Windows 8 - once you get past Metro it's Windows as normal.

Quote:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Int [...] ew/?page=2

I have a Vertex 4 - have had zero problems with it so far.
January 7, 2013 4:49:57 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Are you buying from Cyberpower or are you building your own? There's a lot of stuff that you don't need in that build (the fan controller, external enclosure, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate for starters) and I think that cooling system is ridiculous overkill. You could build your own for far less and get a better system out of it.

I personally wouldn't purchase an aftermarket VGA cooler - there's potential for something to go wrong there and manufacturers will void warranties if they find out you've been using one. On a $1K video card I wouldn't take that chance.

I also wouldn't purchase a 690 - dual GTX 670s will give you near identical performance for far less money. Don't purchase Intel SSDs either - I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Get something like a Vertex 4 or a Crucial M4 instead. I'd also drop the closed liquid loop and instead purchase a Noctua D14 instead.

For a gaming rig you don't need a 1K PSU and you certainly don't need the 3770K either - you can drop that to the i5-3570K.

Try something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1985.72
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 20:23 EST-0500)

I second this build. Far more sensible.
January 7, 2013 5:08:07 AM

g-unit1111 said:
How am I wrong? I cite this benchmark: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/39605-nvidia-gef...

Every single benchmark in this article puts the GTX 690 within +- 2 FPS of each other.

Quote:
Go for a 660Ti or single 670 and a 450W platinum power supply, the i7 3770k is great if you're doing video editing. 8gb @ 1866ghz is fine for video editing, if you're a hardcore editor consider getting 12GB. If you want the best Z77 chipset mobo go for the Sabertooth Z77, it looks nice performs nice and has a 5 year warranty.

Wait - the OP wants to get a powerful gaming / general use PC and you're suggesting a far less powerful GPU and a 450W power supply? :heink: 

Also don't purchase the Sabertooth - it's overrated, expensive, and the thermal armor traps more heat than it prevents.

Quote:
or what you're doing you don't need a Noctua nor liquid cooling, just get a hyper 212 evo unless you're a hardcore overclocker (which you wont need to be) then you can go for the noctua otherwise it's not worth it. With the money you're saving from not getting dual 690's you'll be able to get a 480gb+ SSD and a 1tb 10000RPM velociraptor hard drive and a nice full tower case.

Why would you waste money on a Velociraptor HD? Don't purchase expensive storage devices that aren't worth the cost per GB and don't give you that much of an extra benefit. Also the 480GB SSD isn't really worth it right now.

Quote:

Here's the thing about the Sabertooth - every single review of it I've read has said that the thermal armor covering the board isn't ready for prime time and it actually gets hotter with higher usage. And you know what Asus has done to counter this? Include two very cheaply made 80mm fans that can be mounted below the motherboard.

Quote:

Yeah you don't need Windows 7 Ultimate unless you need the language packs or XP emulation. I have Windows 8 - once you get past Metro it's Windows as normal.

Quote:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Int [...] ew/?page=2

I have a Vertex 4 - have had zero problems with it so far.

The benchmarks compare a 690 to 670's in SLI and the 690 is better than the 670's every time.

Well he doesn't need dual 690s to play WoW, but since he's playing it using three monitors in 3D he will.

It's not wasting money, it's the fastest mechanical hard drive you can get. 7200RPM drives are already too slow for loading certain games so it wouldn't hurt to upgrade. Also a 480+ gb SSD is totally worth it if you can afford it. I would rather get two 480gb ssds than an ssd and a mechanical hard drive.

I hadn't seen a single review that proves that the thermal armor is counter productive. When I was asking for new build advice, it was one of the most recommended Z77 motherboards I received. I've been using it for months and can assure you that the temps stay consistent and do not raise more than a degree or two when playing games like crysis 2. It's a solid MB, easily one of the best and ASUS provides a 5 year warranty.
January 7, 2013 5:16:10 AM

Quote:

The benchmarks compare a 690 to 670's in SLI and the 690 is better than the 670's every time.

Well he doesn't need dual 690s to play WoW, but since he's playing it using three monitors in 3D he will.

Yeah three 3-D monitors will require an incredibly powerful setup to pull that off yeah.

Quote:
It's not wasting money, it's the fastest mechanical hard drive you can get. 7200RPM drives are already too slow for loading certain games so it wouldn't hurt to upgrade. Also a 480+ gb SSD is totally worth it if you can afford it. I would rather get two 480gb ssds than an ssd and a mechanical hard drive.

Yeah but that's not the place I would spend money on a build. When you have a fast SSD as your primary the speed of your second, third, fourth, fifth hard drives becomes a moot point. It doesn't really matter if it's 7200 RPM or 10K RPM. On my work PC I run everything off a central file server and I can open files as fast as if they were on the primary drive. The thing you have to remember with SSDs is that the read - write times are far more limited and can slow down when you load them over 80% capacity (a big problem with Sandforce based drives and some Marvell and Indilinx drives even have this problem). Mechanical hard drives can take a lot more punishment than SSDs can.
January 7, 2013 5:35:43 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

Yeah three 3-D monitors will require an incredibly powerful setup to pull that off yeah.

Quote:

Yeah but that's not the place I would spend money on a build. When you have a fast SSD as your primary the speed of your second, third, fourth, fifth hard drives becomes a moot point. It doesn't really matter if it's 7200 RPM or 10K RPM. On my work PC I run everything off a central file server and I can open files as fast as if they were on the primary drive. The thing you have to remember with SSDs is that the read - write times are far more limited and can slow down when you load them over 80% capacity (a big problem with Sandforce based drives and some Marvell and Indilinx drives even have this problem). Mechanical hard drives can take a lot more punishment than SSDs can.

It's kind of crazy how 3D is so demanding, I hope the technology is made so that it only cuts 1/4 of the frames instead of 1/2 in the future.

Well I just think that if you can afford a 500GB SSD then totally go for it, sure they're crazy expensive but what can you do. Then get another 256gb or higher ssd if you can afford it and if not then a velociraptor hd and if not then a 7200RPM drive. I just think that although a mechanical drive may be more durable and cheaper, in the end an SSD is going to offer a massive speed increase, and to me speed is most important. I can compensate for lack of space when my loading times are always blazing fast. That's how I see it.
January 7, 2013 6:12:40 AM

I would stick with the 690 over getting 2 670's or 2 7970's, simply because it'll produce less heat, use less power, perform the same, and have less microstuttering and such. Also takes up less space than 2 cards.

Stick with an SSD over an HDD as your main drive (like 240-256gb) You can always go with something like a 1-2tb HDD (go for a WD Black Edition) as your data drive and expand as you need. The brand of SSD doesn't matter as much now, but stick with something like the Samsung 830/840/840 Pro, OCZ Vertex 4, Crucial m4, or Intel.

For 3D gaming, I think the 3570k should be good enough for now and in the future. But if you're not going to update again for 7 years. I'd go big now with a 3770k.

Go with Win 7 Pro or Win 8 as your OS. I also agree that you don't need Professional.

Stick with max 16gb of Ram at 1600mhz. Any higher and you'll gain maybe 1-3 fps. Going above 1.5v is also not good for Intel CPU's.

EDIT: What is your price range? Like how much are you willing to spend right now?
January 7, 2013 6:52:41 AM

fudoka711 said:
I would stick with the 690 over getting 2 670's or 2 7970's, simply because it'll produce less heat, use less power, perform the same, and have less microstuttering and such. Also takes up less space than 2 cards.

Stick with an SSD over an HDD as your main drive (like 240-256gb) You can always go with something like a 1-2tb HDD (go for a WD Black Edition) as your data drive and expand as you need. The brand of SSD doesn't matter as much now, but stick with something like the Samsung 830/840/840 Pro, OCZ Vertex 4, Crucial m4, or Intel.

For 3D gaming, I think the 3570k should be good enough for now and in the future. But if you're not going to update again for 7 years. I'd go big now with a 3770k.

Go with Win 7 Pro or Win 8 as your OS. I also agree that you don't need Professional.

Stick with max 16gb of Ram at 1600mhz. Any higher and you'll gain maybe 1-3 fps. Going above 1.5v is also not good for Intel CPU's.

EDIT: What is your price range? Like how much are you willing to spend right now?

-A 690 has all of the same sli problems and microstuddering normal cards have. Also microstuddering is easily fixed by free programs anyways.

-A 690 will be at least 20-50% weaker than 2x7970 GHz overclocked (You can't really overclock a 690 much). Don't kid yourself.

-Two 670's is around 40% cheaper and will overclock better than a 690.

-Two 670's will use around 50w more. Big deal!
January 7, 2013 7:38:48 AM

Ok. A quick reply and I’m off to bed for a bit. I build a new PC every 6 to 8 years so when I do it I try to build one that will still be of use when it’s time is up (I clean them up and give them to neighborhood high school kids needing one). That last PC I tried to mod I made a complete mess of it, had to pay a shop to finish the job. But it is still up to date and expandable for the most part. I set myself a $5k cap this year and have gone over it many times on paper. I have been playing with configurations for over a week now, review after review, but I am learning and accepting to your opinions (just don’t get upset if it doesn’t get through my hard head) :D 

:hello:  Motherboard change…

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 is now my preference, I know the other has the water blocks already on them (can replace with aftermarket anyway) but I am not a fan of the reviews and the onboard Bluetooth and 3gig chip was a seller. Not to mention the OC Key. Wish I had seen this board earlier. The suggested ram for this board is CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR3 2666 chip, but you have me worried about any 1.6v ram with an Intel processor. I have an AMD processor in my current system and will never make that mistake again.

I read using the 960’s I can only use 2, but to compete with the power needed to run 3 screens in 3D I would need a 4 sli of the 670’s. (forgive my terminology) To me (novice at best) it would cost more to keep them cool than to go with the 690 pair. I was reading something about soldering a wire to the video card but my brain is mush ATM, will get back to that tomorrow (err. later today).

Just talking to you guys/gals has saved me from ruining a warranty on the 690, moved me to a better mobo, set me on the right track for cooling (long track for a noob), have me rethinking the ssd drives (maybe 2x 500gig 7200 on raid 0). And believe it or not I am still under cap (though I have no idea what the cooling will cost yet). Please accept my thanks and continue to offer suggestions. As for now, GoodNight
:sleep: 

edit: Just noticed your reply Captain Tom. Hmmmm more to consider.

What are your thoughts on 2 of these, ASUS GTX670-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 670 4GB 256-bit? Haven't seen test yet but same core clock and boost clock within reason. Not to mention 4gig on the 960 is only 2 gig each chip, maybe the 4gig has a little more to offer than to 2gig version. Tired, time to shut up.
January 7, 2013 8:12:35 AM

CaptainTom said:
-A 690 has all of the same sli problems and microstuddering normal cards have. Also microstuddering is easily fixed by free programs anyways.

-A 690 will be at least 20-50% weaker than 2x7970 GHz overclocked (You can't really overclock a 690 much). Don't kid yourself.

Yes, 2 670's oc'd will beat a 690. Just remember that the 690 is two 680's, not two 670's. So by default it's faster. Also, you're the first person ever on Tom's or anywhere else, and I mean ever, to mention a simple program fixing microstuttering. So I don't exactly trust what you say anymore. Also having 4 cards (4 670/680/7970 or 2 690 renders that whole problem moot).

What I'm trying to figure out is what is best of the OP in the long run. He will build a new pc to last 6-8 years. Getting 2 690's in SLI is much better than getting 4 670's or 680's in terms of power usage, heat (omg the heat), and simplicity (moving parts, cooling, etc.).

Now that I know your cap is $5k, you have a LOT of room. How much are you spending on the three 3D screens? That way we can figure out how much left you have to spend on the actual desktop.
January 7, 2013 8:41:27 AM

Didn’t plan on getting the other 2 monitors until late October but the one I currently have on mind is $600. At this point I am at 4.2k and I have hit 3k playing with cooler parts, going to rethink that if I ever get to sleep LOL. But I think I would need 1x 360 radiator (push/pull 6 fans), 1x 240 radiator (2 fans), a good pump, a large reservoir (would like to find one that isn’t in a drive bay, need to remove to many to fit everything in), and all the hose, water blocks, and adaptors.

I have all the time I need to get this right, but I had hoped to start ordering parts in the next week or so. I would like to make sure I have the right mobo, processor, power supply, and radiators before I order anything, which will get me started on the build. As for what is in my list atm. Not sure how they like them but this might work. Yes I know it needs work LOL.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

turning the screen off before i see another response LOL
January 7, 2013 3:36:05 PM

CaptainTom said:

Microstuttering isn't really an issue with NVIDIA cards. It is with certain AMD cards - mainly in the 78XX and 79XX models but NVIDIA doesn't really have that problem.

Quote:
Just talking to you guys/gals has saved me from ruining a warranty on the 690, moved me to a better mobo, set me on the right track for cooling (long track for a noob), have me rethinking the ssd drives (maybe 2x 500gig 7200 on raid 0). And believe it or not I am still under cap (though I have no idea what the cooling will cost yet). Please accept my thanks and continue to offer suggestions. As for now, GoodNight

I still don't think I would spend a ton of money on drives. All you really need is one 256GB SSD and one 1 - 2 TB mechanical HD. I wouldn't get anything more or less, and you certainly don't need to pay huge premiums for expensive gimmicks like the Velociraptors or OCZ Revodrive - they won't offer you any benefits for the prices you would pay for said drives.
January 7, 2013 5:01:55 PM

Ok, so reading seems to just make things worse if I don’t know what I’m reading LOL. Can someone help me understand this please?

The board I have chosen has an MSATA option, now if I drop a 120gig MSATA card in and load windows on that, would it make enough difference that I could, drop to a couple Western Digital Blacks or Seagate Constellations and set them on raid 0 for more speed. I know the load times on the games will be slower but it isn’t load time I’m concerned with as much as it is performance. Or would the MSATA be better to used for cache?

I have a few questions about cooling as heat seems to be a major concern with this build but right now I want to get the basic needs down so I know what I have to play with cash wise.

Winners so far...
Maximus V Extreme motherboard,
Intel 3770 ivy bridge 3.5,
Dominator GT 16gb 2133 ram,
Windows 7 Professional,
HAF X RC-942 case.

Still going back and forth on the GTX690 or dual GTX670’s and now SSD or HDD; I really appreciate your help and advice; I just want to get this right the first time.
January 7, 2013 5:43:30 PM

I strongly recommend that you go for 690 SLI. If I had the money to get an 690 I would have totally got one however I settled for a 680. It makes absolutely no sense to quad sli a 670 over a sli 690. Everyone has been offering pretty solid advice but telling you to not go for the 690 is like suggesting getting 8 tires for your car when you only need 4. Especially since 3D is so demanding, you'll need all the GPU power you can get your hands on.

I wouldn't recommend you go for anything faster than 1866, it'll wear out your motherboard and parts a lot faster. Also 16GB is insane and unless you're running heavy load servers or rendering up the ass I wouldn't recommend anything higher than 12GB. 8GB is perfect for your needs. 6GB is all you need for gaming, however 8GB gives you some room for rendering and the sort.

That MB is overkill. You do not need to spend more than $300 unless you're going to be overclocking 24/7.

I don't recommend a rosewill power supply for your computer. They are a great brand for budget builds but for a high quality build like yours I would not settle for anything short of the best. If you cheap out on the PSU, and it shorts or something happens and it fries your entire build, that's $5,000 down the drain.

Intel SSD's are kind of overpriced.

ASUS VG278HE from what I've heard is better than that monitor and cheaper. It's the newer model I believe.

Windows 7 home premium should be fine, DO NOT waste your money on windows 8.
January 7, 2013 5:51:20 PM

ModKiller said:

Winners so far...
Maximus V Extreme motherboard, waste of over $100
Dominator GT 16gb 2133 ram, No. Just no. waste over $200
Windows 7 Professional,
HAF X RC-942 case.

Still going back and forth on the GTX690 or dual GTX670’s and now SSD or HDD; I really appreciate your help and advice; I just want to get this right the first time.

Save at least $400 by not buying things you don't need, and use that to allow you to get two 500GB SSD's. You'll have 1TB of SSD storage, and you'll be the envy of many. Don't go for intel because theirs are way too overpriced.

Get the 690.
January 7, 2013 5:57:00 PM

ModKiller said:
Ok, so reading seems to just make things worse if I don’t know what I’m reading LOL. Can someone help me understand this please?

The board I have chosen has an MSATA option, now if I drop a 120gig MSATA card in and load windows on that, would it make enough difference that I could, drop to a couple Western Digital Blacks or Seagate Constellations and set them on raid 0 for more speed. I know the load times on the games will be slower but it isn’t load time I’m concerned with as much as it is performance. Or would the MSATA be better to used for cache?

I have a few questions about cooling as heat seems to be a major concern with this build but right now I want to get the basic needs down so I know what I have to play with cash wise.

Winners so far...
Maximus V Extreme motherboard,
Dominator GT 16gb 2133 ram,
Windows 7 Professional,
HAF X RC-942 case.

The Dominator RAM is ridiculously overpriced. Just get a 2 x 8GB set of G.Skill Ares RAM and call it a day there - there's no need to pay $300 for RAM, that's not an area of the build you really need to overspend on.
January 7, 2013 6:33:12 PM

fudoka711 said:
Yes, 2 670's oc'd will beat a 690. Just remember that the 690 is two 680's, not two 670's. So by default it's faster. Also, you're the first person ever on Tom's or anywhere else, and I mean ever, to mention a simple program fixing microstuttering. So I don't exactly trust what you say anymore. Also having 4 cards (4 670/680/7970 or 2 690 renders that whole problem moot).

What I'm trying to figure out is what is best of the OP in the long run. He will build a new pc to last 6-8 years. Getting 2 690's in SLI is much better than getting 4 670's or 680's in terms of power usage, heat (omg the heat), and simplicity (moving parts, cooling, etc.).

Now that I know your cap is $5k, you have a LOT of room. How much are you spending on the three 3D screens? That way we can figure out how much left you have to spend on the actual desktop.

If the OP wants to be the most future proof, then 7970 GHz's are the way to go. They have 3GB of ram and enough bus to use it. They are also quite a bit stronger than the 680's when both are fully overclocked (About 10-20% or a full tier as Tomshardware's GPU hierarchy shows). Last the 7970 GHz will be better at future high resolutions too as benchmarks have shown.

The bottom line is that the 7000 series is more future proof than the 600 series overall.

Don't get a 4GB 670. Tests have shown that using more than 2GB of VRAM really slows Fermi cards down since their 256 bus cannot keep up. The same goes for 7970's with more than 3GB of RAM, it's just a waste of money.

This is out of stock on newegg but I am sure it is in stock somewhere. This 7970 GHz usually clocks 5-10% higher than standard ones so it is really the strongest card out now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

P.S. Have you considered waiting for the 8000 series? Only a month I think...
January 7, 2013 7:12:37 PM

Keep in mind that when I built this system most of the parts were special order or waiting list parts.

My current system has the ga-ma-770-ds3 motherboard, amd phenom 9500 quad core processor (first and last amd), asus gforce 8400 video card, and 4x 1 gig super-talent ddr2 pc6400 ram, XP Pro, and I paid the tech that fixed it (my mod goof) to have it overclocked out the *bleep* (what he said).

When I built this everyone was telling me the same thing, “overkill” but you can go to Wal-Mart with $600 and run circles around it now LOL. I have burnt up 2 video cards and had 1 HDD failure in that time.

I’m not telling you this to brag about my “wonderful” machine, just to give you an understanding as to my view point. I am not rich by any means, but in my condition I don’t get out much so I am in a better position to save than most. I just want a good solid machine that will last as long as this did. Currently I lag so bad in some instances I just shut it down, total fail. WoW 3D, Counter-Strike, Diablo II (forget it in this pc), little video editing, some tinkering in DAZ Studio are the goals as well as longevity.

If I have to wait for a game to “load” I will go fill my tea glass LOL, as long as when I get in it I can stay as long as I want and do what I want without any problems. So I guess you can say I’m looking to build the ultimate gaming PC with a few extra bells.

So far every bit of advice I have received has been great. Even those I don’t agree with (like I have knowledge comparable to yours..NOT) has provided enough to help me get to the next step.

You know far more than I ever expect to, and you seem to hate my mobo and ram ideas and I guess the video card is a love/hate thing too. Geez mom, can’t I get anything right LOL. 8000 series??

I guess I am back to the drawing board (this is why I am here, keep me straight)
January 7, 2013 10:41:14 PM

Back from the drawing board. What do you think of this?

HAF X RC-942 case

Maximus V Formula LGA motherboard (good reviews

Core i7-3770k 3.5 processor

GTX-960 video card (1 for now)

Corsair Dominator 16gb 1600 (latency 7) ram (not much $ more than the G Skill and fits nicely with board colors)

3 barracuda 500 gig HDDs (please correct me if I am wrong but a SSD would only benefit loading right, I hardly ever turn my PC off, so a raid 5 array would give more speed and almost 1tb storage?)

Corsair HX 1050 80 plus gold power supply (before you yell at me, an online calculator determined I needed 1027 power supply. That was with the second 960 card added and suspected water cooling needs. Almost went with the ax1200)

Your opinion matters
January 7, 2013 10:56:39 PM

If you're looking for a 5+ year future proof build, then I'd strongly recommend a 3930K. The cores aren't utilized now however given a couple of years I could totally see it being a benefit, by the time the CryTek Engine 4 or 5 is released.

Motherboards really don't do much other than hold everything together. Unless you're going to be overclocking like crazy, you wont need to pay attention to what motherboard is better than the other. As long as it doesn't have a history of falling apart and has a decent warranty there shouldn't be problems.

As for the whole 16GB ram deal, I would still only go for 12GB seeing as the requirement for RAM can't possibly increase by more than double in less than five years time. Also go for 1866 speed ram.

SSD would benefit loading, especially boot times and overall system load capability.
January 8, 2013 12:05:41 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
If you're looking for a 5+ year future proof build, then I'd strongly recommend a 3930K. The cores aren't utilized now however given a couple of years I could totally see it being a benefit, by the time the CryTek Engine 4 or 5 is released.

Motherboards really don't do much other than hold everything together. Unless you're going to be overclocking like crazy, you wont need to pay attention to what motherboard is better than the other. As long as it doesn't have a history of falling apart and has a decent warranty there shouldn't be problems.

As for the whole 16GB ram deal, I would still only go for 12GB seeing as the requirement for RAM can't possibly increase by more than double in less than five years time. Also go for 1866 speed ram.

SSD would benefit loading, especially boot times and overall system load capability.

I have to agree with all of this. Since you will not be building a new system for 6 years give or take, then getting 6 physical cores on your cpu will be ideal (and it has 12 threads total). That way you should be able to handle pretty much anything until you build your next system.

Again, 16 GB of ram is overkill, but then again there's not much difference in price between 12gb and 16gb of ram. Also, if you go the i7-3930k cpu route, then I think you will need 4x4gb of ram since the cpu/mobo will be quad-channel not dual channel. No speeds higher than 1866mhz. Honestly 1600mhz will be just fine though.

And yes, getting an SSD will definitely help all load times, even if you keep your system on 24/7. You will notice programs open more quickly and games will load more quickly than HDD's in any RAID format (I'm pretty sure at least).

Stick with trying to get 2 GTX 690's and don't go for the 7970's or 670's. If this really is your dream machine and you want it to be as future proof as you can make it, getting 2 physical cards makes much more sense than getting 4 cards. Just think of all that extra heat 4 7970's produce and how much more power they take. 4 670's just doesn't make sense either. Getting 2 GTX 690's means that you can either forgo any sort of special water cooling on your graphics cards OR it will be much simpler to water cool 2 physical graphics cards as opposed to cooling 4. I know you said you had a bad experience with water cooling with your current dream machine. No reason to complicate things more.
January 8, 2013 12:15:27 AM

ModKiller said:
Back from the drawing board. What do you think of this?

HAF X RC-942 case

Maximus V Formula LGA motherboard (good reviews

Core i7-3770k 3.5 processor

GTX-960 video card (1 for now)

Corsair Dominator 16gb 1600 (latency 7) ram (not much $ more than the G Skill and fits nicely with board colors)

3 barracuda 500 gig HDDs (please correct me if I am wrong but a SSD would only benefit loading right, I hardly ever turn my PC off, so a raid 5 array would give more speed and almost 1tb storage?)

Corsair HX 1050 80 plus gold power supply (before you yell at me, an online calculator determined I needed 1027 power supply. That was with the second 960 card added and suspected water cooling needs. Almost went with the ax1200)

Your opinion matters

Honestly If you want to future proof, a 7990 is better (And cheaper) than a 690. Although I will say again that you should just wait a month or two for AMD's new line of graphics cards, and Intel's new line of CPU's to come out. They are right around the corner...
January 8, 2013 1:05:04 AM

For $5000 i would definitely go for a 6 core Intel. You really can't go wrong with either GTX 690, HD 7990, GTX 670x2, HD 7990. The advantage of the single *physical* GPU's is the heat, and less space taken. The advantage of the two *physical* GPU's is having more VRAM which might come in use with 3 monitors that you are gonna be using for 3d. Its your choice whether you want to sacrifice a little bit of performance (not that much really) for a easier solution video card setup.
January 8, 2013 1:46:30 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($253.93 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($247.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($984.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($162.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($236.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG278H 120Hz 27.0" Monitor ($564.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $3522.60
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-07 22:31 EST-0500)

This is a configuration I just tried to put together for you.

There are a few things I would like to point out about it.

I only listed 1 gtx 690 since you thought you could wait. There is also only 1 3D capable monitor listed right now. I believe you also said you'd wait until October to buy the other two. This 27" monitor should do just fine until then and look beautiful once you have 3. Of course there are other brands to look at, this is just my personal preference.

I listed the best SSD there is on the market right now. I also listed two 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's that you could set up in RAID if you wanted. Personally, I would just go with a single 2TB HDD instead, but maybe you just need a single 1TB HDD for you data and a second one as its backup.

The optical drive is really up to you of course. I just put in a blu-ray drive because you might as well have one if you're getting a system like that. They vary in price from like $50 to $100 for standard blu-ray optical drives. You could also just get a regular DVD drive for ~$20.

Now, the processor is the 6-core Intel core-i7 3930k, which I believe you should get in lieu of the i7 3770k because of how long you're going to be using this particular build.

The motherboard is really something I'm not sure about. I chose something that is actually 4-way SLI compatible (if you do decide to go with 4 physical cards, instead of just 2 GTX 690's). If you're sure you're just going to buy 2 GTX 690's, then you could go for a motherboard that has just two PCI-E 3.0 slots @x16/x16 (I think you could go with x8/x8, but I'd still get x16/x16 just in case). The one I listed goes at either x8/x8/x8/x8 or x16/x0/x16/x0 and will leave some room between the two cards (allowing you to try out water cooling if you want).

The RAM is chose is pretty good and is also low-profile, which allows you more freedom with picking your cpu cooler. RAM sticks with tall/large heatsinks can sometimes get in the way of the CPU heatsink.

The power supply is from Seasonic, which is pretty much the best brand there is. It's also 1200W and 80 PLUS Gold rated. On Newegg.com this particular build came out to ~1100W after adding in a second GTX 690. There is a 1050W version of the same PSU, but it might not be enough.

As for the CPU heatsink/cooler, I actually have no idea what you'd want. I'm sure you or someone else knows a lot more about it than I do. I just picked a decent, higher priced CPU cooler off of what was listed on pcpartpicker.

Other things like the keyboard and mouse I didn't add because I'm pretty sure you already know what you want and you don't need anybody else's input on those items.

Total purchase price for this was $3522 using this particular site. Something to keep in mind though is that another GTX 690 will cost $1000 and buying two more of the monitors I listed will cost another ~$1150-1200. This will put you way over your $5000 budget. If that is a big issue, then you can definitely downgrade your monitor to 23-24" instead (there is a huge difference in cost between 24" and 27" monitors for some reason). You could also save some money by getting a the i7-3770k and/or getting a cheaper motherboard.

Hopefully this helps!
January 8, 2013 3:01:13 AM

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 DELUXE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($357.55 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($1017.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($264.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Mad Catz CCB437130002/04/1 Wired Laser Mouse ($133.14 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $3752.02
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-07 23:56 EST-0500)

Thank you very much. Btw… I love that part picker place LOL, that is just over the top.

Any advice about this list. I don’t know these parts like you do, I have spend all day finding information about 4 or 5 of them.

still looking at cooling options. eyes getting blurry LOL
January 8, 2013 3:27:01 AM

Sorry, I need to take a break; I’ve been looking at reviews so much everything I see reminds me of something else.

Yes. The 23 inch monitor was my first choice but when I was finished with the build (on paper) it was over 7k so I stepped down to one 27 inch monitor and one 960 card and kept playing with it until I came to you. This site is teaching me a lot and you are all a lot of help. Thank you.

The new choice of motherboard was one this site found to be in the top 5 and it reviews very nicely other places as well. I love that I can add the 60gig SSD for cache and the memory can later be expanded (if I desire to do more video editing) to create a ram drive (not that I understand what that is, but sounds geeky to say). Add another SSD for operating system and a couple games and put everything else on HDD all SATA 6.0 (I think).

Not sure what site I read it on but it is my understanding that if I desire to overclock this board I would want to use 1866 ram, is that correct?

That site is very nice; it saved me over $300 from buying everything from Newegg. But I am a little adamant about the video card coming from Asus, my understanding the evga versions are not as powerful, that Asus bids higher to get the better performing lots from Nvidia, (don’t ask me where I read that, it was a week ago) please correct me if that information is incorrect but 50 bucks for a better card is worth it in my book (video that is).

Thank you all very much for your help and advice here. Please… don’t hold back.
January 8, 2013 4:08:38 AM

ModKiller said:

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 DELUXE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($357.55 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($1017.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($264.98 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Mad Catz CCB437130002/04/1 Wired Laser Mouse ($133.14 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $3752.02
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-07 23:56 EST-0500)

Thank you very much. Btw… I love that part picker place LOL, that is just over the top.

Any advice about this list. I don’t know these parts like you do, I have spend all day finding information about 4 or 5 of them.

still looking at cooling options. eyes getting blurry LOL

Again this is stronger and $108 cheaper:

Also have you considered getting a 2560x1440 monitor?
January 8, 2013 5:04:52 AM

No, but will check it out.

This was my first choice in monitors

and my first choice in video cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...

According to this the 7970 won but I don’t understand how, read it twice (a lot of fn reading too) and it seems if the 960 was cooled it would have walked the dog. but again, I have very little experience here.

The big thing I dislike about the 690 is all that heat staying in the case. But every site I have been sits it on a thrown.
January 8, 2013 5:17:18 AM

ModKiller said:
No, but will check it out.

This was my first choice in monitors

and my first choice in video cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...

According to this the 7970 won but I don’t understand how, read it twice (a lot of fn reading too) and it seems if the 960 was cooled it would have walked the dog. but again, I have very little experience here.

The big thing I dislike about the 690 is all that heat staying in the case. But every site I have been sits it on a thrown.

LOL I just bought that monitor! It's great and truly the best 1080p monitor you can buy. However the 3D is not that great. It works but there is ghosting. However I still use the 3D for PS3 games.

As for the graphics car choice; you are spending a *** ton, so why not buy the best? The 7990 won't overheat at all (It has 3 massive fans), and it IS the strongest card out. Heck at high resolutions the 7990 will probably be 50% stronger many times. Again it is cheaper too.

IMO the 690 is an amazing card since it somehow uses only 300w while doubling a 670's performance. However it should cost $800. But it doesn't, and you can get so much more for your money...
January 8, 2013 5:37:47 AM

ModKiller said:
My concern with dual setups is

http://sharenoesis.com/article/fix-crossfire-microstutt...

seems the only way to fix it is add a third card. that is just crazy money there.

That's what you need to understand: Double cards have the same software problems as 2 separate cards. You get a double card to save space, energy, and remove any bandwidth issues. However it doesn't remove the annoying as hell firmware and support issues BOTH Nvidia and AMD have with crossfire/SLI (Though it really should).
January 8, 2013 6:18:35 AM

ModKiller said:
you want to get rid of that ghosting... this is the one I believe will do it.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-VG236-120Hz-LCD-Mon...

if you can find it

It's also more than double the price. I got this since it is the best 1080p monitor available IMO with the added bonus of 3D.

However look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2730MD-LED-27-DP-Port...

If you want to plan for the future, here is a future resolution for modern prices.

EDIT: Also I would stay away from Nvidia 3D vision. The new standard is stereoscopic 3D, not HD3D, not Nvidia 3D, and not any other gimic. Don't limit yourself to something only one company offers.
January 8, 2013 6:35:32 AM

contrast ratio 1000:1 and response time 6ms... needs to drop that price by 200
January 8, 2013 6:46:04 AM

The best 1080p monitor is the BenQ XL2420T. Also, isn't the Asus VG278HE better than the Asus VG278H?

Err it's not entirely accurate to say that the 7990 is better than the 690. In most games the 7990 performs better how in some, such as Battlefield 3 the 690 outperforms it. Not to mention the 7990 draws an insane amount of power, in some instances more than double, which is really bad. If you're going for the 7990 route, I'd go for at least a 1300w power supply to be safe. Along with water cooling.

The 690 is naturally better with micro stuttering than the 7990 however RadeonPro (free software) almost completely eliminates it. The catch is you have to create individual profiles for each game which can get tedious.

I'd go with the 690 still not only because I'm a fanboy but because it is much more efficient when concerning power.
January 8, 2013 7:46:03 AM

ModKiller said:
contrast ratio 1000:1 and response time 6ms... needs to drop that price by 200

They are the same displays as the $1000 Apple thunderbolt displays with half the response time (Apple's is 12ms). I have never had an issue with any response time below 12ms so if it bothers you it is your decision. However the contrast ratio and color stuff is incontestable (Look up these korean monitor reviews for yourself).

As for the VG23AH, it IS one of the best if not the best. I have actually read multiple reviews where people took measurements of contrast ratio's, color accuracy, and amount of colors it displays. It scores crazy high.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5DbU-cqEsk&playnext=1&l...

Skip to "Colour Presets."

It can also do 72Hz and while that isn't 120 Hz... WHO CARES? 120Hz means you have to turn down setting A LOT to take advantage of it (Maybe not now, but you will have to eventually). Sure my 7970 could do 120Hz on Ultra in most games but not BF3 or FC3. In 1-1.5 years that 690 won't either.

About the 7990 vs. 690. The 670 benches ~30-40% slower than my overclocked 7970. A 690 is about as strong as 670 SLI so imagine how much faster a 7970 GHz double card will be (40-50%). Also the 7990's extra RAM and bus that can actually utilize it will really help (I already have used over 2GB in FC3). On top of this the 7990 is $208 cheaper! Yes it uses a lot of power but any 800w 80+ PSU will do fine (Please don't make me do the math for you). Overall I recommend getting 2 or 3x7970 GHz Vapor-x cards. But if you must get a double card, get the one that is cheaper AND stronger.

P.S. You really should just wait 1 month until AMD launches the 8970. It will be very strong and it is right around the corner.
January 8, 2013 2:00:07 PM

Quote:
Also, isn't the Asus VG278HE better than the Asus VG278H?

In my opinion I believe it is, it is in one of my configurations. Something I like about Newegg, I have 4 different system setups in wish list trying to get it right. The Acer HN274Hbmiiid also in one.

Quote:

I'd go with the 690 still not only because I'm a fanboy but because it is much more efficient when concerning power.

fanboy ? You guys are still around? How do you survive the heat wave? :lol: 

Quote:
They are the same displays as the $1000 Apple thunderbolt displays with half the response time (Apple's is 12ms).

I can see your point, but when I look at a monitor for 3D "I" want to see 2ms, if standard monitor then I'm not so worried about it but I do keep 3ms - 5ms in consideration if price is right.

Quote:

About the 7990 vs. 690. The 670 benches ~30-40% slower than my overclocked 7970.

Let me see if i have this right, your comparing your overclocked card to one off the shelf

Quote:

A 690 is about as strong as 670 SLI so imagine how much faster a 7970 GHz double card will be (40-50%). Also the 7990's extra RAM and bus that can actually utilize it will really help (I already have used over 2GB in FC3). On top of this the 7990 is $208 cheaper!

I am still on the fence between these cards, I only want to be practical. I'm looking for a triple screen 3D station at 120htz and from what I have read... the only way I can get that without burning up cards is with 4 quality cards unless I go with two gtx690 or two 7970 cards. these are my options as I see it. I have no intention of running 4 cards of anything.

My big concern is power, I am already at 1100amp on the calculator. The heat is a concern as well, but I already know this will be a wet system so it is just a matter of water blocks and radiators.

It is also my understanding that there are a lot of problems with the crossfire bridge not being long enough for many computers. What good is a card you cannot hook together?

edit: I wish i could find a good 23" monitor like the Samsung S23A700D at a little better price. Three 27" monitors is just going spend crazy in my opinion.
January 8, 2013 3:33:03 PM

ModKiller said:
I’m thinking second mortgage LOL
http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/pc/asus-announces-ro...

There is nothing wrong with me comparing my overclocked card to a non-overclocked one. You can't really overclock a 690 much at all due to heat issues. However the 7990 is two 7970 GHz which are practically two overclocked 7970, so my comparison still stands.

I didn't notice you were doing triple monitor. If you are, I guarantee the 7990 is a better choice. Everyone knows AMD wins when it comes to multi-monitor. Look at these benches:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

And this is from a site I consider to be Nvidia biased! Imagine running three of those things!

P.S. I hope I am not coming off as a fanboy. The fact is this is an instance where I believe the 7970 GHz is the clear choice. I have no problem recomending the 660 and sometimes 670, but those are the only worthwhile cards from that side of the river this gen.
January 8, 2013 7:50:38 PM

Not disputing your opinion, in fact I am almost sold, but using bench tests that apply to what I do and Nvidia kicks into high gear.
Although “if” the 7990 has the same increase over the 7970 as the 690 does over the 680, the fps increase is unnoticeable at 6 to 10 fps, hardly worth $300.

I would love to see a similar test done between the 2 cards in question, LOL. Now I climb back on the fence, thanks… just when I thought it was over.

I would love to know what that new ROG Ares II card does and costs. That would be a big help.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!