Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can someone Please tell me how I could improve my build? (First post)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 6, 2013 11:02:42 PM

My dad needs a computer to run 3 monitors so I am giving him my current rig and buying a new one. I'm going to reuse the sound card, my two hard drives, optical drive, and OS. I'm from Canada so I'm going to look where I can find the parts cheapest or with the best warranty, but I would like your opinions first. I would like to use this computer for heavy gaming and HD video editing. I only have one monitor that runs at 1920x1080. Also I've used Nvidia my whole life, so I would prefer to not use ATI cards. Here is my current build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($21.63 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($224.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.74 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.74 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Computer Valley)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($995.09 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.30 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($161.45 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2092.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 19:51 EST-0500)

Money is not really an issue. If I have an opportunity to upgrade please don't hesitate to inform me. I'm planning for the future, so I'm wondering if I should get a bigger power supply so a few years down the road I can throw another GTX 690 in, or should i just get a GTX ?90 when that comes out?(when/if I need the upgrade). What are your thoughts on reusing hard drives? i have a 1TB drive I use on my for my OS and current programs and a 500GB hard drive I use for my Games. would getting a newer hard drive be safer? Also any recommendations for thermal paste, if the CPU cooler doesn't come preapplied. Thanks for hearing me out. :) 

More about : improve build post

Best solution

January 6, 2013 11:28:31 PM

you are actually high on the price point.

Are you overclocking? if so, get a better cooler. Most trust the most common air cooler: hyper 212 evo, but if you want prebuilt performance, the new zalman lq series would be a good idea, if not for its price.

get a 2x8GB set instead of 2x 2x4GB.

Also, I think some would agree that you should drop down to a lower gpu chipset to get more performance per dollar.

Definitely lower your psu wattage, there's no way you're going to use 850W

Case can be decided based on appearance.

Put your os, most used games, and programs on the solid state drive, it's more reliable and faster. place your videos on the hard drives.

The newer HDD are not more reliable because they need to cut down the price per GB to keep up with the competition. They make cuts somewhere to keep a profit.

Today's coolers come with thermal paste, and some come pre-applied. If you want "better" thermal pate, it's cheap enough, go ahead and get some.

Edit: maybe too high on the gpu. if price is no matter, wait for the next series and get a professional grade gpu on the newest chipset. if price does matter, $1000 is too much for a single gpu. also, you can't re-use an os without a new activation code.

In the U.S., the Zalman LQ 320 is on sale with a $35 rebate, for the pros.

Modify this to suit your needs: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wgRV
Share
January 7, 2013 12:03:03 AM

id get this. fixed quite a few things. parts can be price matched at ncix if you would like to buy from one place
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wh41

-690s are useless
-get a better heatsink
-better motherboard that isnt a scam
-higher density ram
-SSD is a nicer

things can be priced matched at ncix if you look around
m
0
l
Related resources
January 7, 2013 12:24:40 AM

Thanks,

I wanted to wait for the next series of GPUs but my dad wants to buy my current computer for 400$ If I don't sell him mine within a month hes going to buy one from best buy.

I'd like to leave room for improvement, would I be able to throw in another GTX 680 with that PSU if I needed to?

Would you recommend overclocking my CPU?

what do you think about this cooler? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 12:41:54 AM

shanethrice said:
Thanks,

I wanted to wait for the next series of GPUs but my dad wants to buy my current computer for 400$ If I don't sell him mine within a month hes going to buy one from best buy.

I'd like to leave room for improvement, would I be able to throw in another GTX 680 with that PSU if I needed to?

Would you recommend overclocking my CPU?

what do you think about this cooler? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...


you could add one in sli, but you won't need to for a while.

Many of us overclock, and we keep it safe by using high performance coolers, such as the hyper 212 evo, noctua nh-d14, and water coolers. nh-d14 beats many water coolers, so I would choose the nh-d14. it's a big cooler, so once it's in, don't drive around a lot with your pc loose in the trunk.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:11:59 AM

Isn't windows 8 worse than windows 7? Ive heard a lot of bad things about it.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:18:10 AM

shanethrice said:
Isn't windows 8 worse than windows 7? Ive heard a lot of bad things about it.


it's a decent upgrade from windows 7 as long as you get start 8 from stardock. it's only $5, and you get to bring back the start menu for windows 8.

There are lots of people that are happy with the improvements in win8, even on desktops.

this is a home gaming build, so I think win8 is the way to go.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:27:18 AM

Here is the new build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($464.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.30 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($110.77 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1490.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 22:23 EST-0500)

Is there any real reason to get 80 plus gold instead of silver or is the difference pointless?
my dad said we had an extra copy of windows 7 lying around so Ill use that.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:32:18 AM

shanethrice said:
Is there any real reason to get 80 plus gold instead of silver or is the difference pointless?
my dad said we had an extra copy of windows 7 lying around so Ill use that.


it doesn't make a noticeable difference

check that the windows version is home premium, professional, or ultimate. also make sure it is 64 bit and can do a full install, not just an upgrade.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:39:27 AM

Best answer selected by shanethrice.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:41:45 AM

my dad bought a 3 pack for windows 7 home premium 64bit he said he have one key left.
Thanks guys your information has been invaluable.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:48:34 AM

Everything looks SWEET I would go with a non-Thunderbolt motherboard as that takes away from PCI-e lanes that you would get. The mobo manufacture normally adds a PLX or multiplier chip to the board, to give it more PCI-e lanes, however there is a little bandwidth there lost. I like the ASUS Z77-V or Z77-V Pro. Or the Gigabyte UD5 non-thunderbolt one.

I would consider the Hyper 212 Evo as a cpu cooler, it is cheap and quiet, has won numerous awards, and is an amazing cooler for overclocking at an extremely low price! ($30 to $36)

Not familiar with your psu or SSD, so I can't comment there. Great build, even as is. I may consider a different brand of video card, for better cooling and lower noise. Maybe ASUS or Gigabyte?

Nice build, have fun. Cheers.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 9:56:34 AM

shanethrice said:
Here is the new build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($464.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.30 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($110.77 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1490.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-06 22:23 EST-0500)

Is there any real reason to get 80 plus gold instead of silver or is the difference pointless?
my dad said we had an extra copy of windows 7 lying around so Ill use that.


-please fix up the GPU. a 670 performs the same as a 680 for 100 dollars less. NEVER get one
-the c70 is a pretty bad case. the temps inside are equivalent to a corsair 550D, which is a silent case
-no reason to go gold
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 10:54:31 PM

your right the gtx 670 would be better, I can always get another if I felt It was necessary, it not like I need an ultra powerful system. I just want to max out my games at 1920x1080, and that card looks like is does the job. what manufacturer would you recommend? I like the look of evga but im sure there are better options. would you suggest overclocking or if its worth it, buy a better version of the card eg: evga has super clocked, signature, and FTW editions of their cards. also the reason I didnt choose the case you picked out Is cause I really want a case with a large window on it, I wanted to have one on my first build 4 years ago but due to budget reasons. I could not. if there are any others you'd like to recommend I'm all ears. but I did read up on that case you recommended, Its pretty nice I must say.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:29:20 PM

ill actually stick with the M4, toms gave it a good review, and I'm sure the novelty would die off after a while.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:39:25 PM

well how embarrassing , I didn't see that you recommended a gigabyte card.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:50:31 PM

id rather go away from the M4. pretty much the oldest good SSD out there. and not particularly fast.

evga doesnt make the best coolers. their custom designs arent anywhere near what the others can offer
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:27:31 AM

Thanks sir, Im going with your build. ordering items as we speak.
m
0
l
!