Here's a brain buster for you guys.

Entropica

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
My system is pretty much homebuilt, it's an i5 Dell Inspiron that I threw a GTX 580 and a new power supply into, here's the full specs.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GHz 32 °C
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0C2KJT (CPU 1)
Graphics
E2742 (1920x1080@60Hz)
HF237 (1920x1080@60Hz)
3071MB GeForce GTX 580 (EVGA) 48 °C
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

---

So here's the issue.

I brought this rig to college, and it ran fine for the first month or so. Around the second month I started to experience seemingly random freezes. When I say random freeze, I mean, in the middle of everything, sound buzzing and looping, and can't get out of it without a hard reset (usually). There were a few instances where if I waited long enough the system would unhang. They would usually only happen during gaming, and it is not game, or even game engine specific.

Thinking it was a PC issue, I began to think it was a number of things. I bought more fans, and also switched my RAM out. This didn't help at all. During Christmas Break, I took my PC home and used it extensively, not even freezing once. It didn't even come close.

Thinking it was an issue with power in the dorms, I bought a 1000w battery backup with voltage control.

Well, here I am 15 minutes into playing a game on my PC with the battery backup in college and it has frozen twice on me now.

Does anyone have any clue at all what would be causing this?

Thanks!~

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Do you have stable power supply? Are you the only one touching your PC? A lot of people in college are mischievous. You never know. Beware of hackers, if you know what I mean. XD

Entropica

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Well guys, thanks for the help, but I now believe the issue is the wireless card. My hunch is that the frequency was being interfered with. I switched to the wired connection and have not had a freeze yet.

Thanks for the help guys!