AMD Athlon II X2 245

Hello, I was wondering what graphics card I could use, and fully utilize, with an AMD Anthlon X2 245. I currently have a Gt520 and a 480w psu (Recently died and looking to replace with a higher wattage psu). I also currently have 8gb of DDr3 Ram. Is it worth it to upgrade the processor and then buy a larger graphics card, or can I get decent performance with another graphics card with this processor without bottlenecking?
5 answers Last reply
More about athlon
  1. Depends on what kind of games your looking to run. Things like GTA SA, L4D2, FS2004, COD (any), won't really be limited by that CPU. I've got a Phenom II X4 @ 3.6ghz and most games of that age/style don't need much more than two cores and are usually using 80-90% of my GTX480.

As for things like BC2 or BF3 or GTA IV, my CPU and GPU are pretty much maxed and matched for their relative limitations.
  2. A GTX460 would probably be about right for that CPU depending on what types of games you run. I had a 1GB PNY model and it was the bottleneck for my Phenom II X4 most of the time.

I had a GT240 1GB and it was the bottleneck for my Athlon II 265 I had a few years ago.
  3. I'm not looking to do any hard core gaming, but the occasional game I come across i'd like to at least play with reasonable fps in 1080p. The Gtx460 looks reasonable and within the price range I was looking at.
  4. What do you think about a GTX 650 Ti...? Looks reasonable for the price.
  5. Anything in that level of performance would work well for your application. No point in spending more for a GPU/PSU unless you decide to upgrade your CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards AMD Processors Graphics