Help! ....Canon Rebel ... bottom 2/3 of picture(s) are bla..

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 6, 2005 6:22:41 AM

Canon DSLR Rebel EOS.

Current folder count 290, image count 9000. I think this means I have taken
9000 photo's to date.

right in the middle of shooting, the pictures are black on the bottom 1/2 to
2/3

http://www.hoofr.com/picts/oooBadPix.JPG this is a sample picture.

google search isn't turning up anything. Different lenses, all settings,
take picture without a lense, battery in out, card in out changed, no
matter. Broken shutter? please say no :(

Reset or firmware upgrade do anything?

The amount of black does change a little bit depending on picture settings,
like maybe its a piece of dirt that I might be able to clean?

help.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:22:42 AM

David A. wrote:
> Canon DSLR Rebel EOS.
>
> Current folder count 290, image count 9000. I think this means I have taken
> 9000 photo's to date.
>
> right in the middle of shooting, the pictures are black on the bottom 1/2 to
> 2/3
>
> http://www.hoofr.com/picts/oooBadPix.JPG this is a sample picture.
>
> google search isn't turning up anything. Different lenses, all settings,
> take picture without a lense, battery in out, card in out changed, no
> matter. Broken shutter? please say no :(
>
> Reset or firmware upgrade do anything?
>
> The amount of black does change a little bit depending on picture settings,
> like maybe its a piece of dirt that I might be able to clean?

I'm not an expert on the internals of a camera, but that doesn't look at
all like a shutter or internal problem, especiall if the area moves. It
looks like something physically blocking the sensor. If not in front of
the lens, then between the lens and the sensor. I can't imagine anything
else that would cause that type of pattern. But, again, I'm not that
experienced.

Randy.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:22:42 AM

In article <RfHye.14385$H64.6054@trnddc07>, David A. <Hoofr@Verizon.net> wrote:
>Canon DSLR Rebel EOS.

[ ... ]

>http://www.hoofr.com/picts/oooBadPix.JPG this is a sample picture.

[ ... ]

>matter. Broken shutter? please say no :(
>
>Reset or firmware upgrade do anything?
>
>The amount of black does change a little bit depending on picture settings,
>like maybe its a piece of dirt that I might be able to clean?

It looks as though it is a piece of dust limiting the travel of
the mirror. The mirror moves upwards to clear the sensor, but the
sensor (and the image) are upside down, so if it does not move far
enough, it is because the mirror is not moving far enough to allow a
clear path from lens to sensor. The variation may be because the
blockage is moving around a bit from shot to shot.

I don't have a Cannon (I currently use Nikons), so I don't know
how much of the mirror mechanism is visible to check for obstructions in
its tracks and levers. If it is all hidden, you will need to go to a
repairer. But it would not hurt to remove the lens, set it to manual
mode, so you can fire it without a lens mounted, and observe what
happens when you fire the shutter. i would suggest a 1 second shutter
time or similar, to give you some time to see just where it stops to
look for clues.

It may be that a small insect got inside when you changed
lenses, and crawled into just the wrong place when you tripped the
shutter. (Did you do a lens change shortly before the problem
developed?)

Best of luck,
DoN.

July 6, 2005 7:08:24 AM

What I just did is this, exactly what you said.

I set the shutter to 30 seconds to see what there is too see.

There is a little mirror that flaps up and down behind the first mirror
thing that you see, and it wouldn't flap up out of the way when the picture
snapped, i.e. it blocked about 2/3's of the censor. If I manually flap it
up, it stays up. I can take pictures in manual focus mode this way, but auto
focus mode is messed up.

So, it appears the little flappy mirror is messed up. I see a little hinge
spring on one side that is neatly coiled and tight, but on the other side is
another little wire spring that doesn't appear to do much - wish I could
take a picture of it :)

I wish I would have known this, this weekend, I would have gladly manually
focused my camera, I missed pictures at the top of 5th of July Mtn, Elev 8K
+\-, full panorama of the entire Cascade Mtn Range, I was so bummed.

It looks so much like the little wire spring wire thing is out, like one
little pop into place and I am in business. There doesn't seem to be
anything electrical about this mirror flap (?) all mechanical. ???

any thoughts?

thanks David A.

"DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:D afg3k$h1k$1@Fuego.d-and-d.com...
> In article <RfHye.14385$H64.6054@trnddc07>, David A. <Hoofr@Verizon.net>
> wrote:
>>Canon DSLR Rebel EOS.
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>http://www.hoofr.com/picts/oooBadPix.JPG this is a sample picture.
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>matter. Broken shutter? please say no :(
>>
>>Reset or firmware upgrade do anything?
>>
>>The amount of black does change a little bit depending on picture
>>settings,
>>like maybe its a piece of dirt that I might be able to clean?
>
> It looks as though it is a piece of dust limiting the travel of
> the mirror. The mirror moves upwards to clear the sensor, but the
> sensor (and the image) are upside down, so if it does not move far
> enough, it is because the mirror is not moving far enough to allow a
> clear path from lens to sensor. The variation may be because the
> blockage is moving around a bit from shot to shot.
>
> I don't have a Cannon (I currently use Nikons), so I don't know
> how much of the mirror mechanism is visible to check for obstructions in
> its tracks and levers. If it is all hidden, you will need to go to a
> repairer. But it would not hurt to remove the lens, set it to manual
> mode, so you can fire it without a lens mounted, and observe what
> happens when you fire the shutter. i would suggest a 1 second shutter
> time or similar, to give you some time to see just where it stops to
> look for clues.
>
> It may be that a small insect got inside when you changed
> lenses, and crawled into just the wrong place when you tripped the
> shutter. (Did you do a lens change shortly before the problem
> developed?)
>
> Best of luck,
> DoN.
>
> --
> Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
> (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
> --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:15:32 PM

> It looks so much like the little wire spring wire thing is out, like one
> little pop into place and I am in business. There doesn't seem to be
> anything electrical about this mirror flap (?) all mechanical. ???
>
> any thoughts?

If it's under warranty - contact Canon. If not, time to look for a repair
shop close by. Actually, I'd expect Canon to stand by their product even if
it's out of warranty. Epson often does.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:08:44 AM

In message <RfHye.14385$H64.6054@trnddc07>,
"David A." <Hoofr@Verizon.net> wrote:

>http://www.hoofr.com/picts/oooBadPix.JPG this is a sample picture.

Looks like the mirror isn't going all the way up for the shots.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:15:34 PM

I know whets wrong the camera, now I need a certain little part to fix it -
see other post from me above

!