Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS K73S

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2012 10:46:22 AM

Hello,

I currently own an ASUS K73S. Everything works awesome, except for the graphics card. Seeing as this is my only computer, I'd like to play games on it too. I downloaded Planetside 2, but even on the lowest graphic settings, I get 20FPS out of my machine, tops.

The current GPU I have is apparently 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000', which just doesn't cut it for me.

Can I change my GPU? If so, which one do you propose?
A few things to mind: I'm a poor student and I know only a little about computers.

Thanks!
Sean

More about : asus k73s

a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 23, 2012 11:38:22 AM

In general laptops have limited opportunities to be upgraded. You can up the RAM or change the HDD, and not much beyond that. Specifically the GPU in all but a select few laptops is integrated into the system and cannot be replaced. Unlike a traditional desktop there is no provision to add a video card to a typical laptop.
a c 110 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 11:49:46 AM

That asus doesn't have a GT540M nvidia gpu ?
Related resources
November 23, 2012 12:02:05 PM

SchizTech said:
In general laptops have limited opportunities to be upgraded. You can up the RAM or change the HDD, and not much beyond that. Specifically the GPU in all but a select few laptops is integrated into the system and cannot be replaced. Unlike a traditional desktop there is no provision to add a video card to a typical laptop.

In general, yeah. I'm not sure if mine falls under the NOPE-category, and I sure as hell don't know enough about hardware to find out for myself..

djangoringo said:
That asus doesn't have a GT540M nvidia gpu ?

Well the little sticker on my laptop says that (just noticed that), but when I check in Device Manager, it says that it's an Intel(R) HD 3000.

Best solution

a c 110 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 12:08:24 PM

But you'll have 2 gpus intel hd 3000 and a nvidia 540m gt (nvidia optimus)
Download the latest nvidia verde drivers (laptop drivers for nvidia check your os and put 540m), then go to the nvidia panel and under Manage 3D Settings choose High-performance NVIDIA processor.
November 24, 2012 8:02:55 AM

I'll try that once my hangover is gone. Thanks, mate!
November 24, 2012 10:11:19 AM

Okay ehh.. I'm trying to install the drivers, but it's complaining it can't find any compatible hardware..
November 24, 2012 2:35:23 PM

Yeah, I did that. I downloaded it from Asus, then from NVIDIA, both say they can't find compatible hardware. Even my Device Manager says there's no NVIDIA.. Any ideas?
December 4, 2012 5:55:04 AM

Best answer selected by Flamecrest.
!