Good places to download stuff?

G

FilePlanet and other servers that I know just suck! they are always full and suck at downloading! anybody knows any decent, usually empty servers/websites where I can download CS 1.3 and HL 1.0.0.8 with my 56K modem? I don't want slow speed and packet loss...anybody?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I hate fileplanet too, especially all that logging into gamspy crap, but I got the cs update yesterday no probs, downloaded at a constant 60k/s which is about right for me, of course thats a new file, when I got it the number of downloads showed in the hundreds, as people got home from school/work then it would have become very busy- it usually does, I was luck- had the day off yesterday.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Grab the filename, and plug it into lycos ftp search. Then use gozilla (or getright) to hammer all the mirrors until one hauls.

That's what I did last weekend, and ended up getting 70k/s or so from one of the mirrors.

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
was just being general. Haven't downloaded either specifically...

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I would not use Gozilla....loaded with spyware and tends to take over your 'puter. I like Download accelerator. No spyware, really does speed thing up ALOT, and you can turn it off when you don't want to use it.

http://www.speedbit.com/

-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.