What is the future for an EE graduate?

Here is a question: I am interested in Electrical engineering for the universal purpose it possesses and the many field I can go into. Problem is, many people say that it is a dying degree, and that i need to go with either Computer Engineering or an Energy Engineering degree to go where i need to go.

So, what is the future for the Electrical Engineer?

When I begin schooling, what should I go into if I want to pursue EE training? Personally, I would like to go into the Semiconductor Industry, but the fear of the 16 nm transition is growing as well. What about Boeing or GE?

What specific thing should I train for? Any technical or trades I should learn while training?

You input would be nice.

Dogman_1234

There will always be a need for EEs. Just for starters Intel needs them, AMD needs them, nVidia Needs them, and anyone developing their own ARM core needs them. Thing is they need an EE with the right skill set. An engineer that designs a chipset != an engineer working on a CPU != an engineer working on GPUs. Even though more of that is moving towards the CPU die (Sandy Bridge and Fusion) these are still separate disciplines. If you were to compare it to designing a car, it would be like comparing the people who design an engine to the people who design a transmission. They are separate, but they still need to take into account the discipline of the other.

Just specialize in one or two things, take what you find interesting, and take a few programing classes.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Check your university to see how if its possible to get both a EE and Computer engineering without adding to many classes. I am currently going back to school also and main goal was an EE and will end up with a CE with only adding 4 more classes (so one semester).

The trick is that you need to pick your electives of EE to satisfy CE and vice vrs. What college was you thinking of?