Sign in with
Your question

After Scandsk and Defrag the system loses it's network

Last response: in Business Computing
October 7, 2011 5:52:52 PM

We have a server running Server 2008 Standard 32bit, running File service only. Networked with five clients running XP Pro, every month on the weekend we do a complete defrag, scandsk, and file cleanup on the server and the clients. The major software we use is Office 2007 and Intuit Enterprise Solutions 11. About one every three or four months after a weekend of cleanup and testing the network and all is working correctly then the following Monday the network crashes and the three clients running Enterprise Solutions loses connection to the server. What am I missing?
October 7, 2011 6:01:14 PM

What do the server event logs have in them?
October 7, 2011 7:16:19 PM

One of the files that are cleaned may contain data that the programs are using as a repository, you may want to see if Intuit Enterprise Solutions 11 has any temporary or data files that the system may consider junk but are required for the program to work.
October 7, 2011 7:56:12 PM

EliFatz said:
We have a server running Server 2008 Standard 32bit, running File service only. Networked with five clients running XP Pro, every month on the weekend we do a complete defrag, scandsk, and file cleanup on the server and the clients. The major software we use is Office 2007 and Intuit Enterprise Solutions 11. About one every three or four months after a weekend of cleanup and testing the network and all is working correctly then the following Monday the network crashes and the three clients running Enterprise Solutions loses connection to the server. What am I missing?

Dear jtt283 - This last time the Event Viewer Snap-in was trashed and I was unable to even get it to open, so I had no reference point to draw from.

and skanderoni, I'm not server savvy, this is and inherited position by default and I'm learning on the fly. I am computer smart but server stupid! So I'm not sure where to seek out the temporary data files you are referring to.

Eli
!