Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad Video card...time to upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 23, 2012 12:41:31 PM

Well last week I started to hear a funny noise from my PC, I thought it was the CPU fan but come to find out it was my AMD 6800 card. Now I noticed when playing games the computer would shut down...I thought that was odd and then I noticed the noise was gone. Well today I took the case cover off to find that the video card fan has stopped working.

So I am running 2 AMD 6800 cards...well now im down to 1.

Question is to run crossfire do I get another 6800 or should i buy a new card and just maybe sell the other 6800 that works?

What card should I get? I have plenty of power supply power.

am i better off getting one really good card? Or get 2 mid cards?

I like playing games like Diablo 3, Planetside 2, Skyrim..etc.
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 12:48:19 PM

If you could sell the card, i'd buy a 7870 ghz 2gb or a 7950 3GB.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 1:09:30 PM

You should always buy a single good card instead of 2 cards... (unless you're playing on more than one monitor)

I'd suggest a 7950 or a gtx 670 (which should provide similar performances as your 6800 series cfx set-up)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 2:48:40 PM

Linuxx27 said:
Well last week I started to hear a funny noise from my PC, I thought it was the CPU fan but come to find out it was my AMD 6800 card. Now I noticed when playing games the computer would shut down...I thought that was odd and then I noticed the noise was gone. Well today I took the case cover off to find that the video card fan has stopped working.

So I am running 2 AMD 6800 cards...well now im down to 1.

Question is to run crossfire do I get another 6800 or should i buy a new card and just maybe sell the other 6800 that works?

What card should I get? I have plenty of power supply power.

am i better off getting one really good card? Or get 2 mid cards?

I like playing games like Diablo 3, Planetside 2, Skyrim..etc.


I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think your Card is sufficient until the the AMD 8000 series are out, you would be better off waiting. I believe that it will be launched soon, I do not know if t's right and, but if we look at the clues, then it could be believed to launch soon. The first Card of the 7000 series got released this year the 9th of January and the 8000 series codename is spoted through the new drivers.

It would be the best upgrade! Good luck with whatever choice you make, mate!
m
0
l
November 23, 2012 3:01:12 PM

How much are you looking to spend? If your setup in crossfire was adequete for your needs, the cheapest fix would to just buy a aftermarket cooler for your current card. Otherwise, there are some really good deals on 7970's and 7950's right now...I just picked up a xfx 7970 for $360, $340 after rebate. I think I saw a few 7950's for around the $300 mark. Expect to pay around $500+ for the 8970 (if that is what their high end card will be called).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:15:28 PM

Dude496 said:
How much are you looking to spend? If your setup in crossfire was adequete for your needs, the cheapest fix would to just buy a aftermarket cooler for your current card. Otherwise, there are some really good deals on 7970's and 7950's right now...I just picked up a xfx 7970 for $360, $340 after rebate. I think I saw a few 7950's for around the $300 mark. Expect to pay around $500+ for the 8970 (if that is what their high end card will be called).


you mean expect 8970 to be $600ish. Amd redid their pricing system since the 7 series...

and I wouldn't expect the cards until mid january or early february... They've been doing like 14 month cycles...
m
0
l
November 23, 2012 4:40:33 PM

well my birthday and xmas are coming up, I am thinking in the $300s
m
0
l
November 23, 2012 4:41:24 PM

the other question is, is it worth updating now or just wait for some new tech that is coming out? I have not kept up with the video cards since i built my rig last year.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 5:59:41 PM

when the 8000 series comes out the 7000's prices will drop.
m
0
l
November 23, 2012 6:14:46 PM

Well, I know you don't want to hear this, but...

Stick with what you have. Just play at slightly lower settings and hang in their until the next series of cards unveil sometime q2 2013.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 7:55:18 PM

@ Linuxx27: More detailed specs would be handy, mate, especially monitor resolution.
You can wait for the next best thing forever, after many, many years of using computers all I can say is that you should get the best deal you can today, because it'll ALWAYS be bettered tomorrow.
m
0
l
a c 118 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 8:11:29 PM

coozie7 said:
@ Linuxx27: More detailed specs would be handy, mate, especially monitor resolution.
You can wait for the next best thing forever, after many, many years of using computers all I can say is that you should get the best deal you can today, because it'll ALWAYS be bettered tomorrow.


Agreed - some specs - and there will always be a better deal "someday"

Tom
m
0
l
November 24, 2012 2:30:32 AM

AMD FX6100 processor 3.3Ghz

8GB memory

SSD card

I dont know what else you want to know?

m
0
l
November 24, 2012 1:12:10 PM

bump
m
0
l
November 24, 2012 1:22:23 PM

Did your old setup meet your current needs? What resolution are you playing at? Are you able to play at highest settings at your current resolution?

If all of that is a yes, then just fix your current card.
m
0
l
!