Bad Video card...time to upgrade

Linuxx27

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Well last week I started to hear a funny noise from my PC, I thought it was the CPU fan but come to find out it was my AMD 6800 card. Now I noticed when playing games the computer would shut down...I thought that was odd and then I noticed the noise was gone. Well today I took the case cover off to find that the video card fan has stopped working.

So I am running 2 AMD 6800 cards...well now im down to 1.

Question is to run crossfire do I get another 6800 or should i buy a new card and just maybe sell the other 6800 that works?

What card should I get? I have plenty of power supply power.

am i better off getting one really good card? Or get 2 mid cards?

I like playing games like Diablo 3, Planetside 2, Skyrim..etc.

I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think your Card is sufficient until the the AMD 8000 series are out, you would be better off waiting. I believe that it will be launched soon, I do not know if t's right and, but if we look at the clues, then it could be believed to launch soon. The first Card of the 7000 series got released this year the 9th of January and the 8000 series codename is spoted through the new drivers.

It would be the best upgrade! Good luck with whatever choice you make, mate!

Dude496

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
How much are you looking to spend? If your setup in crossfire was adequete for your needs, the cheapest fix would to just buy a aftermarket cooler for your current card. Otherwise, there are some really good deals on 7970's and 7950's right now...I just picked up a xfx 7970 for $360, $340 after rebate. I think I saw a few 7950's for around the $300 mark. Expect to pay around $500+ for the 8970 (if that is what their high end card will be called).

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

you mean expect 8970 to be $600ish. Amd redid their pricing system since the 7 series...

and I wouldn't expect the cards until mid january or early february... They've been doing like 14 month cycles...

Linuxx27

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
the other question is, is it worth updating now or just wait for some new tech that is coming out? I have not kept up with the video cards since i built my rig last year.

@ Linuxx27: More detailed specs would be handy, mate, especially monitor resolution.
You can wait for the next best thing forever, after many, many years of using computers all I can say is that you should get the best deal you can today, because it'll ALWAYS be bettered tomorrow.

Agreed - some specs - and there will always be a better deal "someday"

Tom

Dude496

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Did your old setup meet your current needs? What resolution are you playing at? Are you able to play at highest settings at your current resolution?

If all of that is a yes, then just fix your current card.