Sign in with
Your question

PC turns off randomly

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2013 9:54:33 AM

Hello Everybody!

I've got a strange little problem. 3 weeks back, I bought 2x2gb ddr II 800 ram kingston for my old rig. Not sure it's connected to the issue I'm having though. My PC turns off randomly a couple of times a week and I can't power it up until .... that's where the magic happens or something beyond my understanding.... I take off the left panel of my case, which is what fixes the issue. It even powers on if I put back on until it happens again

MB: Asus P5b-E
Ram: (I had before the upgrade) 2x1 gb ddr II 800 kingston
Video card: Evga 550ti 1 gb
I've got 4 HDDs on different lines, it should not mess up with the power.
PSU: Corsair GS700

Hope to get the the bottom of this. :pt1cable: 

More about : turns randomly

a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 12:26:22 PM

Almost certainly this is a CPU overheating issue. That it works with the side panel off is a dead giveaway. The age of the machine is another good indicator.

OK, so basically your CPU is running at temps that could be dangerous to the hardware, so it shuts itself off as a safety feature. When it's running, install CPU-Z or CoreTemp or a similar program that monitors system temperatures. I suspect you'll see that your CPU is running very hot.

If so, you should shut everything down, unplug from wall and de-static everything, etc. Remove your CPU heatsink and clean it thoroughly - use compressed air to clean out all the dust and use isopropyl alcohol to remove the thermal compound from the base. Also remove the thermal compound from the CPU itself. Be sure to clean 100% of it. While your system is open, completely dust everything else and maybe try and tidy your cables and whatnot so that there's better airflow in the case.

Once everything is clean, reinstall your heatsink after applying the appropriate amount of thermal compound to your CPU. Here's some info on applying the compound if you haven't done it before: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_c...

I would bet that this will solve your problem. If not, then I don't know what's wrong :p 

Edit: By the way, the reason it works again when you remove the side panel is that your case has restricted airflow, so your CPU cannot cool itself properly (as I said above, this is also most likely related to dust and old thermal paste). You might think about adding new case fans if your case supports it.
January 8, 2013 8:57:56 AM

Thanks.
I'm gonna monitor the temperature and see what happens . If the overheating is the issue I'll have to find a workaround. The thing is that I cannot remove the CPU as the motherboard layout and zalman cooler I bought. If I attempt to do so I'll most likely to rip off a couple of capacitors
Related resources
January 8, 2013 9:11:35 AM

compote said:
Thanks.
I'm gonna monitor the temperature and see what happens . If the overheating is the issue I'll have to find a workaround. The thing is that I cannot remove the CPU as the motherboard layout and zalman cooler I bought. If I attempt to do so I'll most likely to rip off a couple of capacitors

What CPU + Heatsink are you currently using in this system?
January 8, 2013 10:32:46 AM

nevillethedevil said:
What CPU + Heatsink are you currently using in this system?

Oops I forgot to mention my CPU. It's core 2 duo 2,4 ghz. I don't know what kind of zalman model I've got. It's got 2 fan-looking heatsinks that surround the cooler.

Update on the issue :D 

I checked the temperature. The cpu's was ok but the motherboard's flashed red. I went and got 120mm chassis fan and put it in. The first time, I couldn't power the PC on. I tried disconnecting the chassis fan and I was able to power it on. Then I reconnected the fan again. While I was about it, I noticed a power cable that supplies my DVD-rom had come off. So I plugged it back. As a result of all this weird stuff. My PC runs again all temperatures are fine. Just wait and see what happens :ouch: 
January 8, 2013 10:52:25 AM

It might be connected, dunno.

CPU-Z stats.
the core voltage jumps around from 1,150 to 1,250
The core speed and the multiplier sometimes flash 1,6 ghz and x 6.0

Is that supposed to be that way ?
January 8, 2013 11:32:32 AM

compote said:
It might be connected, dunno.

CPU-Z stats.
the core voltage jumps around from 1,150 to 1,250
The core speed and the multiplier sometimes flash 1,6 ghz and x 6.0

Is that supposed to be that way ?

Thats fairly normal, the CPU automatically adjusts the vcore+frequency of the processor to save on power when on idle/low multitasking.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 12:38:07 AM

Ok, so looks like you did the right thing - improve case airflow.
January 14, 2013 1:53:02 PM

Hi, guys

It's happened again. :heink:  It turns out the issue has got nothing to do with temperature. This time, I took off the left panel and disconnected cables from the PC one by one, trying to power on the PC every time. No joy. Then I moved all my loose cables a bit. And boom it worked. I'm not an electrician by any stretch of imagination. Dunno, the loose cables short-circuited something ? :whistle: 

Anyway I wound them and put them in a static shielding bag that an HDD usually comes in.
Not sure it's a good idea. If I'm an idiot, just tell me that :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 2:03:12 PM

If your cables were loose, then some components were not receiving power, so yes this would cause problems. If you are referring to the cables just hanging around your case (instead of the connections being loose), then I don't know why that would make any difference.
January 14, 2013 2:13:51 PM

JMer806 said:
If you are referring to the cables just hanging around your case (instead of the connections being loose), then I don't know why that would make any difference.
Yeah, this one. I know, weird , right?! :o  All those SATA cables I don't need cos I don't have that many HDDs
!