Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6230 battery life

Last response: in Brands
Share
March 2, 2005 6:32:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

hi,

i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
all the time).
mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would take up
even more battery.

thanx

devin

More about : 6230 battery life

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:l0lVd.450$QA3.161@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> hi,
>
> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
> all the time).
> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
> i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would take
> up
> even more battery.

Bear in mind that quoted battery life is when the phone is used in optimum
conditions. In the real world you'll be lucky to get anywhere near the
quoted figures. There are a number of things that affect battery life, but
the main killer is having the phone in an area with less than steller signal
strength in which case it'll just keep boosting power in an attempt to
improve the signal whist eating power at an alarming rate.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:02:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
news:QnoVd.27027$8B3.18158@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:l0lVd.450$QA3.161@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>> hi,
>>
>> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
>> all the time).
>> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
>> i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would take
>> up
>> even more battery.
>
> Bear in mind that quoted battery life is when the phone is used in optimum
> conditions. In the real world you'll be lucky to get anywhere near the
> quoted figures. There are a number of things that affect battery life,
> but the main killer is having the phone in an area with less than steller
> signal strength in which case it'll just keep boosting power in an attempt
> to improve the signal whist eating power at an alarming rate.
>
> --
>>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
>
>

Richard, what is your opinion of the 6230 battery overall? Is it that bad? I
do currently have full signal on O2 with my 7250i on my bed.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:31:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Dablyz" <spam@spammymcspam.com> wrote in message
news:rRpVd.1669$dF4.206@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:QnoVd.27027$8B3.18158@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>> "DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:l0lVd.450$QA3.161@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
>>> all the time).
>>> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
>>> i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would
>>> take up
>>> even more battery.
>>
>> Bear in mind that quoted battery life is when the phone is used in
>> optimum conditions. In the real world you'll be lucky to get anywhere
>> near the quoted figures. There are a number of things that affect
>> battery life, but the main killer is having the phone in an area with
>> less than steller signal strength in which case it'll just keep boosting
>> power in an attempt to improve the signal whist eating power at an
>> alarming rate.
>>
>>
>
> Richard, what is your opinion of the 6230 battery overall? Is it that bad?
> I do currently have full signal on O2 with my 7250i on my bed.

Personally I don't like the 6230 at all. The battery life though seems to
be a bit of a mystery - I have a friend who reckons to get 7 days out of it
and one that rarely gets 3 days. They both have similar calling patterns
but the main difference is that the one with poor battery life is on Voda
and the other is on Orange. I've noticed on other handsets that the battery
life seems worse when not using GSM 1800.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:48:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
news:xgqVd.27161$8B3.24136@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Dablyz" <spam@spammymcspam.com> wrote in message
> news:rRpVd.1669$dF4.206@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
>> news:QnoVd.27027$8B3.18158@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>>
>>> "DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:l0lVd.450$QA3.161@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>>>> hi,
>>>>
>>>> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week?
>>>> (on
>>>> all the time).
>>>> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
>>>> i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would
>>>> take up
>>>> even more battery.
>>>
>>> Bear in mind that quoted battery life is when the phone is used in
>>> optimum conditions. In the real world you'll be lucky to get anywhere
>>> near the quoted figures. There are a number of things that affect
>>> battery life, but the main killer is having the phone in an area with
>>> less than steller signal strength in which case it'll just keep boosting
>>> power in an attempt to improve the signal whist eating power at an
>>> alarming rate.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Richard, what is your opinion of the 6230 battery overall? Is it that
>> bad? I do currently have full signal on O2 with my 7250i on my bed.
>
> Personally I don't like the 6230 at all.

May i be highly nosey and ask why?

>The battery life though seems to be a bit of a mystery - I have a friend
>who reckons to get 7 days out of it and one that rarely gets 3 days. They
>both have similar calling patterns but the main difference is that the one
>with poor battery life is on Voda and the other is on Orange. I've noticed
>on other handsets that the battery life seems worse when not using GSM
>1800.

Is O2 on GSM 1800, i cant remember.

>
> --
>>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
>
>
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:54:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Richard Colton wrote:

> Personally I don't like the 6230 at all. The battery life though seems to
> be a bit of a mystery - I have a friend who reckons to get 7 days out of it
> and one that rarely gets 3 days. They both have similar calling patterns
> but the main difference is that the one with poor battery life is on Voda
> and the other is on Orange. I've noticed on other handsets that the battery
> life seems worse when not using GSM 1800.
>

It used to be the case that the location update interval on Vodafone was
shorter than on Orange, the latter used to be 90 minutes. I also
remember a long time ago that Vodafone didn't used DTx so that added
some extra consumption but I'm sure it has been changed since the days
when I last checked.

GSM 900 does use a higher maximum power than GSM 1800 but then the lower
frequency usually means the PA efficiency is higher so things are not
quite as bad as they might be.

Other possibility that comes to mind is how the networks organise their
paging channels for incoming calls, if that is different then it can
cause higher standby consumption because the receiver operates for
longer than necessary. Having said that, all phones on the same network
should see the same effect.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:56:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

>>The battery life though seems to be a bit of a mystery - I have a friend
>>who reckons to get 7 days out of it and one that rarely gets 3 days. They
>>both have similar calling patterns but the main difference is that the one
>>with poor battery life is on Voda and the other is on Orange. I've noticed
>>on other handsets that the battery life seems worse when not using GSM
>>1800.
>
>Is O2 on GSM 1800, i cant remember.

O2 use GSM 900, although in a few places in the UK they do have
GSM1800 cells.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

>Personally I don't like the 6230 at all. The battery life though seems to
>be a bit of a mystery - I have a friend who reckons to get 7 days out of it
>and one that rarely gets 3 days. They both have similar calling patterns
>but the main difference is that the one with poor battery life is on Voda
>and the other is on Orange. I've noticed on other handsets that the battery
>life seems worse when not using GSM 1800.

what is it about the 6230 you don't like Richard? I've got one and
personally think its a great phone & mp3 player etc...
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:32:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Dablyz" <spam@spammymcspam.com> wrote in message
news:8xqVd.1708$dF4.1174@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:xgqVd.27161$8B3.24136@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>> "Dablyz" <spam@spammymcspam.com> wrote in message
>> news:rRpVd.1669$dF4.206@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>>>
>>> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:QnoVd.27027$8B3.18158@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>>>
>>>> "DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:l0lVd.450$QA3.161@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>>>>> hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week?
>>>>> (on
>>>>> all the time).
>>>>> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
>>>>> i have not had hte bluetooth on, i'm guessing if it was on, it would
>>>>> take up
>>>>> even more battery.
>>>>
>>>> Bear in mind that quoted battery life is when the phone is used in
>>>> optimum conditions. In the real world you'll be lucky to get anywhere
>>>> near the quoted figures. There are a number of things that affect
>>>> battery life, but the main killer is having the phone in an area with
>>>> less than steller signal strength in which case it'll just keep
>>>> boosting power in an attempt to improve the signal whist eating power
>>>> at an alarming rate.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Richard, what is your opinion of the 6230 battery overall? Is it that
>>> bad? I do currently have full signal on O2 with my 7250i on my bed.
>>
>> Personally I don't like the 6230 at all.
>
> May i be highly nosey and ask why?

I just think it's a bit boring and terribly bland (it's also a complete
bitch to flash as most flashing cables don't fit properly). I honestly
think that (design wise) Nokia have missed the boat - whilst Samsung and
Motorola are bringing out beautifully designed handsets Nokia have mostly
stuck with variations of the original (tired) theme. It all boils down to
personal preference - I used to swear by Nokia handsets, but they now mostly
seem boring and uninspired. Even the user interface is in dire need of an
overhaul to make it a bit more presentable.

Now if Nokia decided to release a handset in the 6310i form factor with a
colour screen, polyphonics and expandable memory whilst retaining the 6310i
system connector and battery life I'd be pretty quick to change my mind.
<snip>
> Is O2 on GSM 1800, i cant remember.

GSM900.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:16:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...

> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
> all the time).
> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?

Do like the rest of us do, charge the thing up every two or three days ;o)

Mine's never lasted for more than 3 days (16 hrs approx each of those days),
even when just left on standby with no use whatsoever apart from switching
it off in the evening, and back on in the morning.

Mike.
March 3, 2005 7:25:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:16:07 -0000, "Mike H" <dot@dot.dot.dot.moc>
wrote:

>
>"DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
>
>> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week? (on
>> all the time).
>> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
>
>Do like the rest of us do, charge the thing up every two or three days ;o)
>
>Mine's never lasted for more than 3 days (16 hrs approx each of those days),
>even when just left on standby with no use whatsoever apart from switching
>it off in the evening, and back on in the morning.
>
>Mike.
>

I'm on my 2nd handset and fifth battery. Average 1 hour/day calls,
standby 18 hrs/day, battery life 2/3 days with all of them. The
colour screen is the real drainer.

The battery should have a higher output - it's only 50mAs more than
the battery for an 8210!
March 3, 2005 11:30:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

i've got a 7250i as well, and that lasts well over 7 days on a single
charge.
do u think if i took the screensaver off, that would make an affect?

thanx

dev

"ƧØÞ" <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:s54d21pn5f0fd56ibdmdgn6d48uegmcn0j@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:16:07 -0000, "Mike H" <dot@dot.dot.dot.moc>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"DP" <dp@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
> >
> >> i've got a new 6230 and the battery is ment to last at least a week?
(on
> >> all the time).
> >> mines only lasts half of that time. wat could i do?
> >
> >Do like the rest of us do, charge the thing up every two or three days
;o)
> >
> >Mine's never lasted for more than 3 days (16 hrs approx each of those
days),
> >even when just left on standby with no use whatsoever apart from
switching
> >it off in the evening, and back on in the morning.
> >
> >Mike.
> >
>
> I'm on my 2nd handset and fifth battery. Average 1 hour/day calls,
> standby 18 hrs/day, battery life 2/3 days with all of them. The
> colour screen is the real drainer.
>
> The battery should have a higher output - it's only 50mAs more than
> the battery for an 8210!
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:23:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

>>>> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
>>>> news:QnoVd.27027$8B3.18158@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

>I just think it's a bit boring and terribly bland

I have to disagree with you there Richard, i've had a 6230 for 3
months now and love it!

>. I honestly
>think that (design wise) Nokia have missed the boat - whilst Samsung and
>Motorola are bringing out beautifully designed handsets Nokia have mostly
>stuck with variations of the original (tired) theme. It all boils down to
>personal preference - I used to swear by Nokia handsets, but they now mostly
>seem boring and uninspired. Even the user interface is in dire need of an
>overhaul to make it a bit more presentable.

you're right, it is down to personal preference. Otherwise i could
stand here defending the 6230 for ages!
!