Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2012 3:05:33 PM

I'm currently looking for a new card for Christmas. Since my Birthday (The 24th) and Christmas are coming up and my Graphics Card is kind of meh.
System Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz
GPU: Radeon 6870
RAM: 8GB
PSU: 720W (I couldn't check the exact brand or series)

Spending range: $250-$500 I'd like to have a pretty great Graphics card that my PSU will support and that can help me run games on Max. I was looking at the 7950, but I haven't had the chance to look at the reviews.

More about : card

a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:36:19 PM

cstahler92 said:
I'm currently looking for a new card for Christmas. Since my Birthday (The 24th) and Christmas are coming up and my Graphics Card is kind of meh.
System Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T Duo Core 3.2GHz
GPU: Radeon 6870
RAM: 8GB
PSU: 720W (I couldn't check the exact brand or series)

Spending range: $250-$500 I'd like to have a pretty great Graphics card that my PSU will support and that can help me run games on Max. I was looking at the 7950, but I haven't had the chance to look at the reviews.

I wouldn't say your GPU is bad, it is actually decent enough. I would consider getting a better CPU before getting a better GPU. Your CPU will bottleneck all better GPUs than the GPU you got now, I'm also quite sure, that it's actually bottlenecking it.

AMD doesn't make good gaming CPUs, but their new updated FX-series should be "okay" enough.
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:50:48 PM

Do you have a suggested CPU? I also forgot my Mobo, but my box is in my room and I'm trying to separate dogs atm. I've actually enjoyed my CPU though. My Usages never goes above 305, I can run 2 MMOs at the same time and still run them at the highest settings (TERA Online and SWTOR when I first got it) and as far as loading I don't seem to have any issues either. I guess switching to a better CPU would be less expensive than going with a great GPU though.

After typing all of this I decided to get my box this is my Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:55:48 PM

The 1090T is not by any means bottlenecking a 6870, nor will it be a significant bottleneck for pretty much any single GPU. That said, a nice overclock will show improvements in CPU-bound games. Edit: You could probably get a really nice overclock on that motherboard, provided you've got a good cooler as well.

As for the upgrade, you can afford just about any single-GPU solution on the market. If you're not wanting to spend the whole $500, a 7950 would actually be a great choice - the Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 is on the pricier side, but it also has an awesome cooler (overclocks nicely, as well, if that's your thing). A Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 is another solid option for you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:56:07 PM

are u ok with changing your mobo or u r sticking with AMD??
i say get an i5 with an H77 or H67 mobo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:56:22 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
I wouldn't say your GPU is bad, it is actually decent enough. I would consider getting a better CPU before getting a better GPU. Your CPU will bottleneck all better GPUs than the GPU you got now, I'm also quite sure, that it's actually bottlenecking it.

AMD doesn't make good gaming CPUs, but their new updated FX-series should be "okay" enough.

Lol. No. His CPU is better than the old FX, if you didn't know Phenom II has a higher performance/clock than the Bulldozer series. Piledriver fixes it and is about the same performance as the Phenom II's. (It's a 6 core CPU, just FYI)

I would look at a 7950. Great price/performance.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:00:19 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
are u ok with changing your mobo or u r sticking with AMD??
i say get an i5 with an H77 or H67 mobo.

I prefer AMD. The first computer I got had an Intel Integrated Graphics and ever since then I never really liked them lol. Since I just built this computer somewhat recently I'm not really willing to change the mobo though. Recently is a little over a year ago.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:04:14 PM

mousseng said:
The 1090T is not by any means bottlenecking a 6870, nor will it be a significant bottleneck for pretty much any single GPU. That said, a nice overclock will show improvements in CPU-bound games. Edit: You could probably get a really nice overclock on that motherboard, provided you've got a good cooler as well.

As for the upgrade, you can afford just about any single-GPU solution on the market. If you're not wanting to spend the whole $500, a 7950 would actually be a great choice - the Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 is on the pricier side, but it also has an awesome cooler (overclocks nicely, as well, if that's your thing). A Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 is another solid option for you.

A dual core CPU will bottleneck games such as Battlefield 3, and those that are meant to use a quad-core CPU, so yes, it will bottleneck.

I don't think you'll go for another MOBO, so you won't be using Intel which of course is best for gaming, so my suggestion would be AMD FX 4300 or AMD FX 6300 both isn't too expensive, and performance in games aren't far away from the flagship AMD FX 8350.

If you have some Money left, then save it for the AMD 8000 series. Upgrading to the 7000 series would be not so smart with the next series just around the corner!

Good luck, with whatever choice yoy make mate! :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:07:43 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
A dual core CPU will bottleneck games such as Battlefield 3, and those that are meant to use a quad-core CPU, so yes, it will bottleneck.

I don't think you'll go for another MOBO, so you won't be using Intel which of course is best for gaming, so my suggestion would be AMD FX 4300 or AMD FX 6300 both isn't too expensive, and performance in games aren't far away from the flagship AMD FX 8350.

If you have some Money left, then save it for the AMD 8000 series. Upgrading to the 7000 series would be not so smart with the next series just around the corner!

It's not a dual core kid. Look it up. It's a hexacore. Jesus. Get out of these forums if you don't know what you're talking about.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:07:46 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

The 1090T is a six core CPU
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:08:08 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

Let me stop you right there - 1) I said significantly bottleneck (that is, it will still be 100% playable), and 2) the 1090T is a hex-core processor, not a dual-core. So unless the OP decided to disable 4 cores, he'll be just fine with it.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:08:11 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

I may have mistyped it (Too lazy to look) but if I said Dual I mean Duo as in 6. Does the 8000 Series have a release date? I only saw 2013. If it comes out 1-8 I can just wait because the price of it isn't as bad and it is supposed to be 40% better than the 7000's.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:08:47 PM

samuelspark said:
Lol. No. His CPU is better than the old FX, if you didn't know Phenom II has a higher performance/clock than the Bulldozer series. Piledriver fixes it and is about the same performance as the Phenom II's. (It's a 6 core CPU, just FYI)

I would look at a 7950. Great price/performance.

It's the new FX series I mentioned? Not the old, mate. The new series should solve all the problems, that made the CPUs so bad in gaming.

It's also a dual core CPU, best is to get a quad nowadays. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:11:12 PM

Sorry, I just saw! He just wrote "duo core" - Which I was comparing to a dual core. I Draw my suggestion back. You would be just fine by upgrading your GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:15:27 PM

cstahler92 said:
I may have mistyped it (Too lazy to look) but if I said Dual I mean Duo as in 6. Does the 8000 Series have a release date? I only saw 2013. If it comes out 1-8 I can just wait because the price of it isn't as bad and it is supposed to be 40% better than the 7000's.

For future reference, dual = duo. Hex = 6. Just so we don't have another one of these misunderstandings! But yes, from what I have heard the Sea Islands GPUs will launch early next year, and they're supposed to be 40% faster (I sincerely doubt it, though). If you feel satisfied enough with the 6870 to wait up to 6 months for another upgrade, then I am jealous of your patience that is something you should certainly consider.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 4:19:23 PM

mousseng said:
For future reference, dual = duo. Hex = 6. Just so we don't have another one of these misunderstandings! But yes, from what I have heard the Sea Islands GPUs will launch early next year, and they're supposed to be 40% faster (I sincerely doubt it, though). If you feel satisfied enough with the 6870 to wait up to 6 months for another upgrade, then I am jealous of your patience that is something you should certainly consider.

Glad we came to a conclusion, sorry for my misunderstanding.

m
l
November 23, 2012 4:22:13 PM

mousseng said:

Weird... now that I think of it Idk who told me duo.My 6870 is running most of my games on High at the very least so I am satisfied. The only thing that will change my mind is if the 8000 Series came out in like 2014 lol. I still might upgrade though it just depends if a release date is set.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:29:55 PM

If you can do the $500 I'd get this card a 7970 for around $400 & a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo so you can overclock your cpu. Between those two things you should end up with some real nice performance.

Of course, waiting for the 8000 series is not a bad idea either but that will be after your birthday & Xmas.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:55:11 PM

Star72 said:
If you can do the $500 I'd get this card a 7970 for around $400 & a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo so you can overclock your cpu. Between those two things you should end up with some real nice performance.

Of course, waiting for the 8000 series is not a bad idea either but that will be after your birthday & Xmas.

I'm thinking about just grabbing cash for both of those. Because I'd rather not buy a card and then it be outdated in a couple of months like I did my first time around lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 5:35:01 PM

Yeah I agree, the 1090T is far from being a bad CPU, it doesn't perform as well as the new i5 and i7 for example, but it is more than decent for gaming.

For the video card, I'm in the same situation as you, I'm looking to upgrade soon and I'm not sure if I should wait for the new 8000 series (which should come out during the first quarter of 2013). Right now, I would be tempted by the 7950 because it seems like a good bang for the bucks since AMD recent price cuts. But just like you I'm already running a decent card, a GTX-460 256-bit, which offers similar performance to your 6870 so I'm not like in a rush to upgrade. There are upcoming games in 2013 that will be more demanding and that I want to play (Bioshock Infinite, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc...) so it might make more sense for me to wait then to upgrade. But right now the 7950 would be my choice.
m
l
!