Sign in with
Your question

Picking parts for new PC build.

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2013 12:54:30 PM

Hello everybody. I am quite new to the forums and this is my first post so please don't think of me as a child with no experience ;) 

I'm looking to build a PC and have been bothered with what parts to get. I have most things settled but the parts I really can't decide are the CPU and GPU. Originally, I was planning to get a Phenom II X4 965 combined with an HD7870 2GB. Asking some friends, they said that this system is complete rubbish and that I should rather spend money on stuff such as an i5 with a GTX660Ti, which, combined, is out of my price range. I am planning to use the system for gaming/recording (good ol' fraps will be the case here) and video rendering in Adobe Premier Pro. By the way, I will have 2 SATAIII HDD's. Thus, here comes the question: Will this system be able to keep up with the task? Will I get any lagg in games such as Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 2-3, GTA IV-V? If anyone has a similar system and does video rendering in Premier, what would be the average time to render a 10 minute video recorder with Fraps?

More about : picking parts build

January 7, 2013 4:51:20 PM

I think an i5-3470 paired with a GTX 660TI or Radeon 7950 will handle everything you want to do. If you're serious about video editing though you'll want an NVIDIA card for the hardware acceleration features the AMD cards don't have.
January 7, 2013 6:03:40 PM

Yes, the i5-3470 is a good choice but then I can only get an HD7850 1GB, since that would be in my price range. And, last time I checked, video rendering time depends on the CPU and HDD :) )
Related resources
January 7, 2013 7:30:51 PM

Vesparoid said:
Yes, the i5-3470 is a good choice but then I can only get an HD7850 1GB, since that would be in my price range. And, last time I checked, video rendering time depends on the CPU and HDD :) )

Having a good GPU does help though - the onboard video isn't meant to be a substitute for a dedicated graphics card. You definitely want NVIDIA like I said for the added hardware acceleration. You can probably score a GTX 570 for around $175 now.
January 8, 2013 2:34:27 AM

Doubt it. I live in Lithuania and even used parts are quite expensive :) 
January 8, 2013 2:44:22 AM

Found this bit of information on the web:

"I wouldn't go as far as saying that the 7850 is better than the 570. They both offer similar performance, however like someone said before you're getting power efficiency and more VRAM with the AMD card"
January 8, 2013 2:54:32 AM

Vesparoid said:
Doubt it. I live in Lithuania and even used parts are quite expensive :) 

Check the link in my signature - chances are good that there's a store where you live that won't charge an arm and a leg to get a system shipped.
January 8, 2013 12:46:53 PM

I checked it. No shops in my country and the ones that are near have sky high prices.
!