Sign in with
Your question

Quick Power Supply question, is this enough for a i5-3570k build?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2013 2:20:04 PM

Hi guys, I just have a quick question. Would the Corsair CX430 - 430w PSU be enough to power the following build?

i5-3570k
Asrock Extreme4 mobo
8GB Samsung Ram
Sapphire 6770
Bluray drive
SSD
HDD
CM Hyper 212 HSF

Thoughts? I put it through a couple of online calculators and for the most part, they calculate inside of 300's watts of power draw. It's not for me personally, but the unit is on sale and a friend is 50/50 on it.

Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 4:54:27 PM

No - I've had major difficulty getting the CX430 to work on a number of Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge builds. It has the Corsair name on it but it's not a good power supply. The Seasonic S12 II 430W is a far better power supply - it's a bit more expensive but it will handle that setup far better.
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 5:16:24 PM

430W should be enough, I don't have a comment on the quality of the specific unit.
Related resources
January 7, 2013 7:22:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I recommended the Antec VP-450. I think 450 watts should be plenty, and it rates Tier 2 over at Eggexpert.

That Corsair CX430 is totally love hate I've noticed. Some people swear by it, others say to avoid it like the plague. It's so cheap at under $20, has a known name, and is 80 plus that it's hard to ignore I guess.
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 7:25:45 PM

real world said:
Thanks for the replies. I recommended the Antec VP-450. I think 450 watts should be plenty, and it rates Tier 2 over at Eggexpert.

That Corsair CX430 is totally love hate I've noticed. Some people swear by it, others say to avoid it like the plague. It's so cheap at under $20, has a known name, and is 80 plus that it's hard to ignore I guess.

It has the Corsair name and it's a good value but this is one supply that really is buyer beware. I had a couple of them fail on me (which Corsair was quick to replace) and I couldn't get it to work on my HTPC no matter what I tried, and wound up swapping it with the Seasonic unit - booted up no problems.
!