Sign in with
Your question

looking for GOOD CHEAP speakers

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2002 10:46:32 PM

I know this is the sound card area, but what better place to ask about speakers :)  Sorry if i'm congesting the area.

I basically have the Gigabyte GA-7VTXH Motherboard which has the Creative Labs CT5880 Sound Chip on board. Supposively it's an excellent chip with 4 speaker output capability.

I really don't need great speakers and don't want to spend alot of money on them. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $10 like a friend of mine did the other day for 2 speakers and they were horrible. I would rather spend in the $20 - $50 dollar range for good speakers.

I'm probably not going to be blasting mp's, more listening to mp's from time to time, and internet audio. Any input with types, number of speakers, personal experience with them, and approximate price would be appreciated. In fact, any of those would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

More about : good cheap speakers

January 6, 2002 12:44:47 AM

The Creative 4.1 Inspire set is around $60USD, I've read that they are the best for that price range.
January 6, 2002 7:26:44 AM

I have altec lansing speakers for gaming ( a 5 piece set) that I got for 100$ can. a couple of years ago. I've seen them for even less than that now. The quality should be good enough for what you need.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>
Related resources
January 6, 2002 11:22:53 AM

You can get the ACS54 from Altec Lansing for as little as $50 CDN now.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
January 6, 2002 7:08:19 PM

If you have a little extra space you could use a low end home system from a pawn shop or something. Or better yet if you already have a nice home sound system you could use that.

I have done this for years. It's just now that the multi hundred dollar PC speaker combos are starting to compare sound quality wise, with my crappy little stereo I got from my parents as a kid. Although it isn't 5.1 or anything it's just good ole 2.0. My geek buddies are always impressed by the sound levels I get. I've been told it sounds like there is a war going on in my computer room, while I was just playing a little quake.

The main problem with this idea is you do need a little extra space. 1. for the stereo equipment 2. because you must keep unshielded speakers seperated from your monitor.
January 6, 2002 7:27:37 PM

This is actually a reply to all of you. First of all, thanks for your opinions on this. It does appear both Creative and Altec are good.

The thing is, i'm stuggling with, they all seem to have 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 speaker sets. I probably can't use a sub woofer. My sound chip supports 4 speakers, so I need to go with 4 decent satellite types I believe. Basically when you go into your audio settings you can select 4 speaker out, so it converts the line in, as a second line out, for a second set of speakers(Heh, I actually thought that was pretty cool).

Anyhow, to make a long story short, i'm trying to snag a decent 4 speaker set. The Creative Labs and Altec you guys mentioned look good, but they both come with subwoofers.

I'm starting to think I am forced to buy 2 - 2 speaker sets. I'm going to do some more research on this chip on my board, and see if the line in can be configured for a woofer instead of two speakers. Then I could do 2.1.

Anyhow if you guys know of a good 4 piece set minus the whoofer that would do as well probably. I'm just trying real hard to not spend alot, but not get crap, ROFL.

January 6, 2002 7:31:38 PM

I'll be damned if I don't have some stereo speakers from an old system laying around. I'm going to give that a try, thanks! I just need to hunt down some ends for the wires.

Anonymous
January 6, 2002 9:22:15 PM

Wait, not so fast there. The speakers can only be connected directly if you have an amplified output (usually labelled "speakers". Connecting them directly to a line level output will yield disappointing results.

If you don't have a speaker out on the card you could do it like I do: run the line out to an external reciever/amplifier, and run the speakers off of that.

Sorry I didn't mention that earlier, I didn't know anyone actually listen to what I say. I hope this info you already knew, or isn't too late to help you.
January 7, 2002 2:44:14 AM

Just because you have a 4 speaker out doesn't mean that you need to have 4 speakers. your much better off with a good quality 2+sub setup than a cheesy 4 speaker setup ( cheesy in the fact that at that price a good 4 speaker set is hard to find)

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
Anonymous
January 7, 2002 3:02:31 AM

My recommedation:

Boston Acoustics BA635 system. Got it for $54 and it is TOP quality 3 peice (2 + Sub) system. I have it currently as my front channel setup for my audigy card and my sony 475 reciever or the rears. For a basic setup ( i use it in the office as my primary setup), it puts out crystal clear highs and really hits an excellent bass with the woofer on the floor.

Good luck

Chris B
Webtronix PC
January 7, 2002 12:01:29 PM

Basically if you do 4 speaker setup then the line in is converted to a line out. If I use a subwoofer, I wonder if it would work properly?? You can specify the 2 speaker, 1 sub setup, but I don't think it will convert the line in as a second line out.

I'm basically going to give the stereo speakers a shot. If I find out they aren't amplified enough, then I have a cheapo sound card laying around that I could try. If that doesn't work, then i'm going with the 2+sub and just use the 1 line out.

!