Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build for Photo Editing

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2013 3:55:34 PM

I'm looking to build a computer for photography editing and I need some help with the build I have come up with, it's been 5 years since I build my last one, so I appreciate all your expertise. First here is the software I have been using,

I have Adobe Design Premium CS5 which I primarily use Photoshop CS5 (I want to be able to use the other programs too) and I use Lightroom 3.

For my new build I would like to be able to use the following software and I would like the computer to last me approximately 3+ years, so I don't want something that future software will make my computer obsolete.

Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Kolor Autopano Giga (photo stitching software), Photomatix Pro 4 (HDR Software), and Portrait Professional Studio 64 v 10.

Additional information: I use two monitors and I shoot in RAW format. I'll be making an external RAID 1, set up for back up later on after my current HD is full. The two WD Hard Drives in this build will run RAID 0. I don't plan on overclocking anything.

Using your expertise I would like you to critique my build. I think the Video Card is overkill (what is better for photo editing better Processor or GPU?). I need help on the MOBO. I would like a quality MOBO that fits these components, not looking to expand after this initial purchase, except for more memory in the future. So I don't need extra bells and whistles (stock sound card is fine)I would like to save money where I can, but I don't mind spending money if it will make a significant increase in performance. Where would you cut corners? I was trying to stay around the $2000 range. (P.S. I know I need an operating system. I already know the price and I wasn't including it in the price of the build.) Thanks for all your help.

Here is my current idea of a build,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($268.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.33 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.33 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($247.55 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($568.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2215.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-07 12:48 EST-0500)
January 7, 2013 4:05:28 PM

id get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wmR8

-i didnt go x79 but if you are making some good money off of this or you are doing this at least 6 hrs a day, then it makes x79 worth it
-caviar blacks are no faster than blues. you pay 30 bucks a drive for extra warranty. thats about it. raid 0 hard drives still arent as good as ssds
-yes the 840 pro is a fair bit faster than the mushkin chronos deluxe but it costs a lot more.
-the 670 is as fast as a 680. the creative suite does take advantage of the GPU
-i have a cheaper case that is better in my opinion. and is silent
-cheaper PSU. made by superflower, a company on par with seasonic
m
l
!