Drivers for older LS120 drives

Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere that
XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives, and that
this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update to XP will
solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers that I can
use?

John McGough
4 answers Last reply
More about drivers older ls120 drives

    Doesn't look like it unfortunately:
    http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34685&subsectionid=616
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
    > will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
    > that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
    > and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
    > to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
    > that I can use?
    >
    > John McGough

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    I've been using my LS-120 ever since I installed XP Pro and it still works
    with SP2 and subsequent updates. Device Manager show it as Matshita LS-120
    Ver5 and the driver as sfloppy.sys and the version as 5.1.2600.2180
    (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

    "John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
    > will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
    > that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
    > and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
    > to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
    > that I can use?
    >
    > John McGough

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    All of you are fortunate to get the system (I have XPProSP2) to recognise an
    LS-120 drive at all. I have such a drive physically installed, and it worked
    fine until I upgraded from Win ME. Now all attempts to install it
    operationally fail. if I take out the normal floppy, it is just reinstalled
    when I open up again, using flpydisk.sys as before. sfloppy.sys is present,
    but I can't activate it for this older Panasonic drive, or for any drive.
    No, I have no software, never have had, installation was automatic with
    older OSs.
    Microsoft really need to make a driver for all of us who have these older
    drives, not leave us to struggle alone.
    I must have functionality for file exchange with (Shhh!) a Mac laptop.
    --
    Dr. Prisca

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > I've been using my LS-120 ever since I installed XP Pro and it still works
    > with SP2 and subsequent updates. Device Manager show it as Matshita LS-120
    > Ver5 and the driver as sfloppy.sys and the version as 5.1.2600.2180
    > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    >
    > "John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
    > > Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
    > > will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
    > > that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
    > > and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
    > > to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
    > > that I can use?
    > >
    > > John McGough

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    I know you don't want to hear this by I have never had a problem with my
    LS-120 being recognized, from XP to SP1 to SP2 - always been there. (It is a
    Matshita, if that makes a difference.)

    "Priscilla Turner" <PriscillaTurner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6DE4F164-D362-4AF7-8B3A-20996C084572@microsoft.com...
    > All of you are fortunate to get the system (I have XPProSP2) to recognise
    > an
    > LS-120 drive at all. I have such a drive physically installed, and it
    > worked
    > fine until I upgraded from Win ME. Now all attempts to install it
    > operationally fail. if I take out the normal floppy, it is just
    > reinstalled
    > when I open up again, using flpydisk.sys as before. sfloppy.sys is
    > present,
    > but I can't activate it for this older Panasonic drive, or for any drive.
    > No, I have no software, never have had, installation was automatic with
    > older OSs.
    > Microsoft really need to make a driver for all of us who have these older
    > drives, not leave us to struggle alone.
    > I must have functionality for file exchange with (Shhh!) a Mac laptop.
    > --
    > Dr. Prisca
    >

    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using my LS-120 ever since I installed XP Pro and it still
    >> works
    >> with SP2 and subsequent updates. Device Manager show it as Matshita
    >> LS-120
    >> Ver5 and the driver as sfloppy.sys and the version as 5.1.2600.2180
    >> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    >>
    >> "John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the
    >> > LS120
    >> > will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
    >> > that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120
    >> > drives,
    >> > and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future
    >> > update
    >> > to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party
    >> > drivers
    >> > that I can use?
    >> >
    >> > John McGough

Drivers Windows XP