Drivers for older LS120 drives

Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere that
XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives, and that
this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update to XP will
solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers that I can
use?

John McGough

Doesn't look like it unfortunately:
http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34685&subsectionid=616
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
> Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
> will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
> that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
> and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
> to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
> that I can use?
>
> John McGough

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been using my LS-120 ever since I installed XP Pro and it still works
with SP2 and subsequent updates. Device Manager show it as Matshita LS-120
Ver5 and the driver as sfloppy.sys and the version as 5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

"John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
> Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
> will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
> that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
> and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
> to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
> that I can use?
>
> John McGough

All of you are fortunate to get the system (I have XPProSP2) to recognise an
LS-120 drive at all. I have such a drive physically installed, and it worked
fine until I upgraded from Win ME. Now all attempts to install it
operationally fail. if I take out the normal floppy, it is just reinstalled
when I open up again, using flpydisk.sys as before. sfloppy.sys is present,
but I can't activate it for this older Panasonic drive, or for any drive.
No, I have no software, never have had, installation was automatic with
older OSs.
Microsoft really need to make a driver for all of us who have these older
drives, not leave us to struggle alone.
I must have functionality for file exchange with (Shhh!) a Mac laptop.
--
Dr. Prisca

"Jerry" wrote:

> I've been using my LS-120 ever since I installed XP Pro and it still works
> with SP2 and subsequent updates. Device Manager show it as Matshita LS-120
> Ver5 and the driver as sfloppy.sys and the version as 5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
>
> "John McGough" <john@mcgough.org.uk> wrote in message
> > Since I bought a new XP machine, and put my old LS120 into it, the LS120
> > will not function other than as a 1.44Mb drive. I have read elsewhere
> > that XP does not have drivers to support some of the older LS120 drives,
> > and that this is a known problem. Does anyone know if any future update
> > to XP will solve this, or alternately, are there any third-party drivers
> > that I can use?
> >
> > John McGough

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I know you don't want to hear this by I have never had a problem with my
LS-120 being recognized, from XP to SP1 to SP2 - always been there. (It is a
Matshita, if that makes a difference.)

"Priscilla Turner" <PriscillaTurner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6DE4F164-D362-4AF7-8B3A-20996C084572@microsoft.com...