Sign in with
Your question

Help with Device Manager HD Speed Test... no Test Button!

Last response: in Windows 7
March 4, 2012 4:24:29 PM

Hi all, looking to do a simple benchmark in Windows 7 Device Manager for HD following the instructions located here.

In Device Manager, I have located my Serial ATA controllers, but there is no Test button to be found. Any reason why I'm not seeing it? Thanks!
March 4, 2012 4:51:17 PM

Do you have an NVidia nforce drive controller?
March 4, 2012 5:09:54 PM

I do not have nforce on this computer. Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", I have six listed:
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20

Does this mean I should expect to not see a test button?

If so, any other way within Windows (w/o 3rd party exe) to ensure my SSD is communicating at 3.0 GB/s vs 1.5 GB/s? My SSD and mobo are Sata 2, but I just wanted to do a quick double check. (I'm about 90% I'm using a Sata2 cable, though I'm pretty sure cable is unlabeled.)
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2012 5:19:32 PM

The SATA cable doesn't matter. The speed difference is in the interface not the cable. If the drive and the motherboard connector are both sata2 (3.0 Gb/s) then they are using a SATA2 connection..

If your looking for SSD benchmarking software I've used and can recommend "AS SSD Benchmark"
March 4, 2012 5:36:53 PM

Thanks for the info/advise on cable, etc. Will check into "AS SSD Benchmark". :) 

Reason I am concerned is that in Windows Experience Index, I'm getting a 5.5 for Primary hard disk using a "Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)" and "MB EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR X58 RT" mobo, which are both SATA 2. That's the same index I get on the machine I built my parents, with an old 7200 spin. I'm thinking somehow perhaps I'm only getting 1.5G/s on my current machine.

In the mean time, when other people go to Device Manager and select their Serial ATA controllers, do you guys see Test button? Any reason why nforce users would/should see a Test button but it would be missing for other hardware users?
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2012 6:12:22 PM

I've never seen this test option. Its probably showing for nvidia chip sets only, maybe just some unique feature of those chip sets I assume.

5.5 does seem low for an SSD. Run a quick test for AS SSD and let us know what your getting.

Edit: And sorry I just saw the part where you said "w/o 3rd party exe". ATTO is another good one if you do end up going with a 3rd party exe. And whats awesome is they are no installation exe.

ATTO : http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...
AS SSD : http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&dow... -- Download button at bottom
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2012 6:29:48 PM

Weird, I went to look up your manual to check out what kind of controllers you have for your sata ports but couldn't find that model on EVGA's website. It definitely exist as newegg had an old listing of the model. Wonder what EVGA doesn't list it.

I gotta head out bro. Good luck with your test.
March 4, 2012 7:27:42 PM

Thanks again for the help. Tried out ATTO (using default test).

First, here are the specs for my SSD "Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive" (which I bought back in Oct 2009):
SATA 2
Sustained Sequential Read: 220MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: 200MB/s

Here are the ATTO results for this SSD (which I am using as my primary drive):

Interesting. Looks like my SSD read is performing per spec. (Though my write performance seems way off.) When I look at best rated SATA 2 SSDs on NewEgg today (two and a half years after my SSD purchase), the transfer rates for these drives seem to have changed little. I'm seeing Sustained Sequential Reads of up to 280MB/s.

Now I am really confused... Isn't SATA 2 suppose to max out at 3GB/sec? Shouldn't these best rated SATA 2 SSDs be using all available SATA 2 bandwidth??? By my math, these drives are using only about 10% available bandwidth (0.28G/s divided by 3G/s). Hope I'm just mixing something up here... :) 

EDIT:
Opps, gigabytes vs gigabits. And I have a CS degree. ;) 

Per wikipedia on SATA 2:
"With a native transfer rate of 3.0 Gbit/s, and taking 8b/10b encoding into account, the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 2.4 Gbit/s (300 MB/s)."

In any event, I've confirmed I am transferring at 220MB/s, which is greater than SATA 1 speeds (150 MB/s per Wikipedia). However, still not sure why I'm getting 5.5 on Windows Experience Index.
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 12:32:55 AM

Yeah the lovely Gb and GB will trip us all up at some time =).

So we know the connection is SATA2 and is being saturated pretty well by your drive although the writes do seem low compared to the specs listed.

In regards to the 5.5 score. I'd be interested to see your test with AS SSD benchmark. It will also gives us other sweet information like your read and write IOPS. Before you run the benchmark go to view and select IOPS.
March 5, 2012 5:37:23 PM

I have ordered another (faster) SSD and may check out AS SSD benchmark eventually. Thanks for recommending.

Interesting, when I reran the Windows Experience Index (WEI) I now get a 5.9 "primary hard disk" score for my SSD (without having changed anything recently), from the 5.5 that was showing.

When I think back though, I did order some new SATA cables for a new mechanical HD that went into this computer. At the time, I was unsure whether cables labeled SATA 1 or SATA 2 would make a difference, so I went ahead and ordered SATA2. I'm 99% sure I moved the original SATA cable that was connected to my single SSD to the new mechanical HD, and used one of the new SATA 2 cables for the SSD (just in case having a SATA 2 cable mattered). It's quite possible I haven't rerun WEI until just a day or so ago, shortly after I created this thread. So it's possible that the 5.5 score was old.

Hmmm... Bottlenecked by the old cable? I hear you guys load and clear saying "The speed difference is in the interface not the cable." However, when I've read various forum threads on whether the cable matters, there is definitely some conflicting info out there. Here's the big question (if anyone knows why):

If SATA cable speed rating does not matter, then why are all the SATA cables rated for different speeds and divided between SATA 1, 2, and 3 out on NewEgg (and elsewhere)?

a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 6:25:31 PM

MadRussian33 said:
If SATA cable speed rating does not matter, then why are all the SATA cables rated for different speeds and divided between SATA 1, 2, and 3 out on NewEgg (and elsewhere)?

Just "Creative" marketing I suspect. I think monoprice is doing the same thing still.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-I...

Upgrade in score could have been from any possible update to. SSD firmware, windows OS, chipset maybe.
March 6, 2012 1:24:42 AM

Thanks skaz for that link and all the guidance here. Nice to know those cables are really are proven interchangeable. Can't wait to get my new SSD up and running and get close(r) to 600 MB/s! (Got a new mobo coming too.)
!