Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading HIS HD6950 - 650$ Budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 23, 2012 7:08:41 PM

Hello, I am looking to buy myself a nice christmas-present, and buy a new graphics card, but I have a pretty tight budget, 2500-3500 NOK, and the site im buying from is Komplett.no (No, I wont use any foreign site, cause if I try to import something into my *** country, I gotta pay an extra 40-50%).

I mainly play demanding games, such as BF3, MoH:WF, and I buy the latest games on launch often, so a card that will be able to run most games on HIGH/ULTRA settings would be appreciated.

The card I currently have, is a Radeon HD6950, and I am able to run BF3 on HIGH, 1920x1080, at around 50-60 FPS, IIRC, but I notice some drops in the framerate of more demanding games, like Skyrim maxed out.

Link to the page where I'm buying, for you non-Norwegians, use Google Translate to translate the page, if you could find me a good card for my price-range, without me having to upgrade PSU, etc. etc.
http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488&sortBy=p&sort...
I clicked into the "Graphics Cards - PCI Express" section for you, so all you have to do is use translate. (Site thinks Norwegian is Danish, so change it to Norwegian if it wants to translate from Danish to English :p  ))

My system:


Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor 3,5Ghz 2600K

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO, Socket-1155

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "TURBO"

Memory: Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 8GB + Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB = 16GB RAM

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB

SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series F60A, 60GB

PSU: Silver Power SP-SS620M 620W PSU

I got a couple of cards here;

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=751358

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=765590

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=660800

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=759806

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=760919

Whether or not its made by ATi or nVidia, is not important.

Thank you for any help!

-Eddy

Edit: Re-Posted the thread, added some info I found here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/290969-15-advice-ch...

More about : upgrading hd6950 650 budget

a c 170 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 7:34:31 PM

Why do you want to upgrade?

To be honest, upgrading to a newer GPU of the same range would not give you that much of an upgrade if you consider the price.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 7:41:49 PM

Eddybogo said:
Hello, I am looking to buy myself a nice christmas-present, and buy a new graphics card, but I have a pretty tight budget, 2500-3500 NOK, and the site im buying from is Komplett.no (No, I wont use any foreign site, cause if I try to import something into my *** country, I gotta pay an extra 40-50%).

I mainly play demanding games, such as BF3, MoH:WF, and I buy the latest games on launch often, so a card that will be able to run most games on HIGH/ULTRA settings would be appreciated.

The card I currently have, is a Radeon HD6950, and I am able to run BF3 on HIGH, 1920x1080, at around 50-60 FPS, IIRC, but I notice some drops in the framerate of more demanding games, like Skyrim maxed out.

Link to the page where I'm buying, for you non-Norwegians, use Google Translate to translate the page, if you could find me a good card for my price-range, without me having to upgrade PSU, etc. etc.
http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488&sortBy=p&sort...
I clicked into the "Graphics Cards - PCI Express" section for you, so all you have to do is use translate. (Site thinks Norwegian is Danish, so change it to Norwegian if it wants to translate from Danish to English :p  ))

My system:


Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor 3,5Ghz 2600K

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO, Socket-1155

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "TURBO"

Memory: Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 8GB + Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB = 16GB RAM

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB

SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series F60A, 60GB

PSU: Silver Power SP-SS620M 620W PSU

I got a couple of cards here;

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=751358

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=765590

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=660800

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=759806

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=760919

Whether or not its made by ATi or nVidia, is not important.

Thank you for any help!

-Eddy

Edit: Re-Posted the thread, added some info I found here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/290969-15-advice-ch...



Anything but the 670 4GB version they will all show great gains over your current card.
and you might save some cash by selling the 6950
Related resources
November 23, 2012 8:07:24 PM

Novuake said:
No, the HD7970 is about equal to the GTX680 thanks to newer AMD drivers.

Since the HD8xxx is on the way, I would wait for that before upgrading.


Well, the reason I'm upgrading now, is because I'm going to be going to TG2013, and I would like to have my graphics card upgraded by then.

Also, the latest and greatest 8000 series are likely to be out of my price-range.
Besides, it's rumoured to be out in Q2, 2013, and I ain't got that kind of patience, at all.
a c 170 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 8:08:14 PM

Eddybogo said:
Well, the reason I'm upgrading now, is because I'm going to be going to TG2013, and I would like to have my graphics card upgraded by then.

Also, the latest and greatest 8000 series are likely to be out of my price-range.
Besides, it's rumoured to be out in Q2, 2013, and I ain't got that kind of patience, at all.


In that case, get the HD7970 GHz Edition.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 8:09:07 PM

Actually they're out in Q1 2013. We can start looking for the mid range 8xxx's as early as January.
November 23, 2012 8:11:07 PM

Novuake said:
In that case, get the HD7970 GHz Edition.


And I will not have to upgrade my PSU or anything like that?

Dumb question, would be even dumber to screw that up though.
a c 170 U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 8:15:38 PM

Eddybogo said:
And I will not have to upgrade my PSU or anything like that?

Dumb question, would be even dumber to screw that up though.


No you would not. Unless you OC a lot.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 8:41:35 PM

Both will serve you well but if the 7970 is faster and does not appear to be that much more expensive
November 23, 2012 8:51:00 PM

Alright homies, thank you for all the responses, was very helpful. ;D

Peace.
!