Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wondering about bottleneck CPU/GPU

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 7, 2013 4:51:33 PM

I have a few options but not sure which will bottleneck first.

1. AMD FX-4170 + GTX 660Ti
2. AMD FX-8150 + GTX 660Ti
3. AMD FX-6200 + GTX 660Ti

I'm worried with either of these choices the CPU will bottleneck way before the GPU and so I'm just wasting money on this video card. Any advice on this? Also if the CPU is bottleneck, then which video card will be sufficient without compromising cost?

CPU will have to be AMD due to cost so please no intel fanboys jumping on board telling me that AMD suck etc.

Cheers guys.
January 7, 2013 6:58:20 PM

I'm swaying towards the FX-6200, because it's got alot more clock speed than the FX-8150, but a couple of extra cores than the FX-4170 for future needs and multitasking, and only has slightly less clock speed too. What do you fellas think? A good compromise?
January 7, 2013 6:59:51 PM

Also for £100 less I can get a HD7850 instead of a 660Ti, is it worth the saving?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 7:09:05 PM

Are you set on using AMDs? and if so why are you not looking at the 4300, 6300, 8350?

Intel will give you better game performance.
January 7, 2013 7:15:34 PM

Derza10 said:
Are you set on using AMDs? and if so why are you not looking at the 4300, 6300, 8350?

Intel will give you better game performance.


I know intel are better but as I mentioned it's down to cost, and I already have the motherboard bought. It has to be one of those I mentioned because of cost and availablility.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 7:24:28 PM

Well if you are willing to spend the ~$170 on the 8150... I would say get the 6300 for $140... What is your total budget anyway? It would be a lot easier to have a budget so we could recommend better solutions.

the 6300 is only $5 more than the 6200 and is a good bit better in gaming.
January 7, 2013 7:31:24 PM

Derza10 said:
Well if you are willing to spend the ~$170 on the 8150... I would say get the 6300 for $140... What is your total budget anyway? It would be a lot easier to have a budget so we could recommend better solutions.

the 6300 is only $5 more than the 6200 and is a good bit better in gaming.


I live in UK not US, I cannot get the CPU you are talking about where I live without excessive delivery charges, please can you stick to the CPUs I have suggested instead of going off course?
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 7:35:15 PM

dodgyx666 said:
I live in UK not US, I cannot get the CPU you are talking about where I live without excessive delivery charges, please can you stick to the CPUs I have suggested instead of going off course?


Sorry for trying to help you out. As if you gave us enough information to know your situation...(sigh some people) Well gl finding help, I don't feel the need to try to help you anymore.
January 7, 2013 7:43:54 PM

Derza10 said:
Sorry for trying to help you out. As if you gave us enough information to know your situation...(sigh some people) Well gl finding help, I don't feel the need to try to help you anymore.


I've given enough information, I wanted to choose between 3 CPUs did you not read anything? I asked you nicely to stick to the topic involved which was about bottlenecking GPU/CPU on a new build I'm doing, but instead you are telling me about other CPUs that have no interest to me, and then you cry when I ask you to stick to what I've asked, therefor you've been absolutely no help whatsoever. Thanks for nothing.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 7:51:54 PM

dodgyx666 said:
I've given enough information, I wanted to choose between 3 CPUs did you not read anything? I asked you nicely to stick to the topic involved which was about bottlenecking GPU/CPU on a new build I'm doing, but instead you are telling me about other CPUs that have no interest to me, and then you cry when I ask you to stick to what I've asked, therefor you've been absolutely no help whatsoever. Thanks for nothing.


First of all you gave no reason why you were limited to the CPU's you listed, how was I supposed to know you already looked into them? I was just giving you suggestions to help you out.

As for those CPU's with that GPU who knows.... it depends on the games you play, some games are more CPU intensive and others more GPU intensive(maybe list the games you play/plan to play) another big factor is the resolution you will be playing at (both of which you failed to give information about). You gave far to little information and then get upset with me for asking questions.

your original post also asks the question "any advice on this?" And my advice was to go with either the 6300 or 8350... I had no way of knowing your situation due to the fact you listed none.
January 7, 2013 8:01:21 PM

Derza10 said:
First of all you gave no reason why you were limited to the CPU's you listed, how was I supposed to know you already looked into them? I was just giving you suggestions to help you out.

As for those CPU's with that GPU who knows.... it depends on the games you play, some games are more CPU intensive and others more GPU intensive(maybe list the games you play/plan to play) another big factor is the resolution you will be playing at (both of which you failed to give information about). You gave far to little information and then get upset with me for asking questions.

your original post also asks the question "any advice on this?" And my advice was to go with either the 6300 or 8350... I had no way of knowing your situation due to the fact you listed none.


I never got upset until you made a big deal out of me asking you to stick with the CPUs I asked for. How about reading over the thread again then realize that you got upset because I "Asked" you to stick to the question in hand. Grow up kid.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 8:05:41 PM

dodgyx666 said:
I never got upset until you made a big deal out of me asking you to stick with the CPUs I asked for. How about reading over the thread again then realize that you got upset because I "Asked" you to stick to the question in hand. Grow up kid.


I see you still don't feel the need to give us the information we would need to help you, so once again good luck.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 9:02:19 PM

For gaming I would go with option number 2 its cheaper and most games don't use over 2 cores so the faster chip should be better. Also I would also go with the 7850 over the 660ti (again for a cheaper build) just make sure you pick a 2 gig model and if your ok with OC you normally get the performace as a 7870 with its OC'ed, a 7850 should be good up to 1080p resolution.
January 8, 2013 12:07:40 AM

ikaz said:
For gaming I would go with option number 2 its cheaper and most games don't use over 2 cores so the faster chip should be better. Also I would also go with the 7850 over the 660ti (again for a cheaper build) just make sure you pick a 2 gig model and if your ok with OC you normally get the performace as a 7870 with its OC'ed, a 7850 should be good up to 1080p resolution.


Thanks I was thinking along the same lines. The reason I was swayed more towards the 6 core is in case the near future any new games came out that would utilize 6 cores. I also do games development using Blender, Unity Engine and Visual Studio, so it could possibly help out there when multitasking. Also with some games believe it or not the benchmarking on the 6 core scores higher FPS than the 4 core, seems to be 50/50, i.e. Dirt 3 for one runs higher on the 6 core along with a handful of other games, and even the games that run faster on the 4 core the difference is a negligible 2-3 fps tops. Wouldn't it be better for the 6 core really for longevity?
January 8, 2013 12:08:51 AM

Edit: Also I'm guessing you really meant option 1 (4 cores) not option 2 (which is 8 cores)?

Cheers.
!