Sign in with
Your question

Consistent chirping noise inside case

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2013 7:21:03 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded my computer and now I have been hearing a high-pitch chirping noise whenever the computer is on. It's less noticeable when gaming or watching a movie, but it's always there. My specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Processor: AMD FX 8350 (Slightly overclocked to 4.5)
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case: Corsair 500R Mid Tower
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green
PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Smart M Series (Modular)
Also have an old wireless card in a PCI slot.

Is there anything I can do for this? I have upgraded the bios to the most recent version and made sure that no wires are touching any of the fans. I can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, but it appears as if it's near the CPU. It sounds as if crickets are living in my case. I built this about 2 weeks ago and it's been happening ever since. At first I thought it was the power supply so I went out and bought a new one (I had the Corsair GS700), but the problem still persists. I keep trying to ignore the noise but it's pretty hard.

Thanks for the help
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 7:34:10 PM

I would first try disconnecting all fans except for CPU fan and then connect the case fans one at a time to rule out fan issues. You can also try tightening down the screws on the case fans to see if any are loose.

That should rule out fan issues and I have a feeling one of those solutions should fix the problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2013 9:21:47 PM

Might be a bit of a vibration, if the fans make more noise the faster they go, that is the case. Best fix for that is to use anti vibration mounts for any fans or hard drives.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2013 10:00:46 PM

Is it a high-frequency sounded little whine? I had a AMD 965BE that did that until I disabled the power saving settings in the bios.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:43:19 PM

It may be the case of a bad coil in the Psu, or it could have to do with a capacitor on the motherboard, or the Graphics card. or as said maybe a fan with a dry bearing xFrap.
m
l
January 8, 2013 2:29:57 PM

DSzymborski said:
Is it a high-frequency sounded little whine? I had a AMD 965BE that did that until I disabled the power saving settings in the bios.

Yes, it's high frequency and sounds like a whine. I went into the BIOS and it seems like every power saving setting is already disabled (such as AMD Cool N' Quiet).

sharkbyte5150 said:
I would first try disconnecting all fans except for CPU fan and then connect the case fans one at a time to rule out fan issues. You can also try tightening down the screws on the case fans to see if any are loose.

That should rule out fan issues and I have a feeling one of those solutions should fix the problem.

I tried doing that and it doesn't seem to help.

The more I hear the noise the more I think it's coming from the CPU fan. I went into the BIOS and changed my CPU fan to "quiet" and it still doesn't seem to do anything.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 7:19:07 PM

What CPU cooler do you have? If it's like the Hyper 212 you can just fasten a new 120mm case fan to it.

Do you hear the sound instantly when powering on your PC or does it start after awhile? If it's instant, you can always open up your case, unplug CPU fan and power it on just for a few seconds and if the sound is gone, you know it is your CPU fan for sure.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 8:40:01 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
What CPU cooler do you have? If it's like the Hyper 212 you can just fasten a new 120mm case fan to it.

Do you hear the sound instantly when powering on your PC or does it start after awhile? If it's instant, you can always open up your case, unplug CPU fan and power it on just for a few seconds and if the sound is gone, you know it is your CPU fan for sure.

If you do this, make sure it is no more than a few seconds and your heatsink remains seated.
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:28:33 PM

I'm getting that noise too but only under full load on any oc over 4.3... specs are: 8350, m5a99fx r2, 8gb g skill value(came with board), HD 5770, corsair tx750 psu
m
l
!