Solved

Graphics card compatibility

I was having some questions with a upgrade I am planning on. I have a M5A97 mobo with 2.0 x16 gpu slots and i was going to upgrade my Radeon 6970 with a Nvidia 660 ti which is 3.0 x16 compatible. Will the 660 ti work with the motherboard and if so is there a difference?

specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 3.3 GHz Processor
AMD Radeon 6970 HD
8 gigs of DDR3 ram
Asus M5A97 motherboard
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card compatibility
  1. yes indeed, it will just work fine... thrust me...I run my GTX 670 on my Z68 board and it works flawlessly..
  2. Best answer
    Yes it will work because it's backward compatible so don't worry.

PCI-Express 3.0 almost have twice the bandwidth as 2.0, but the real question is does your bandwidth gets saturated otherwise you won't see any difference between the two. PCI-E 3.0 will shine more with a Crossfire or SLI setups because those require more bandwidth, but for a single card solution PCI-E 2.0 will have sufficient bandwidth in almost every scenarios so you shouldn't really see a difference, unless maybe you put a 690 or 7990 in your slot, lol.

But I would be curious to know why you are changing your card? In my book, a 6970 performs too close to a 660-Ti to be worth it (there might be a 10% difference between the two or something). I would suggest you wait at least 6 months for the new 8000-series or 700-series which should come out during the first quarter of 2013. Or if you really want to change now, at least get a 670 or a 7970 if you want to see some real improvement in performance...
  3. Best answer selected by crystalchamp.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Graphics