5970 second GPU undetected by everything

hawkeye2309

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi guys I just picked up a 5970 from eBay for $80 the guy I bought it from believes it works fine (although he was quite eger to get rid of it selling it for 80 bucks). So I get it and set it up and run gpuz because i've herd of 5970 not showing a second GPU and loandbehold crossfires disabled so after about 4 hours of forum surfing I tried running atiflash just to get a read and see if the problem is windows related and it turns out that atiflash doesn't pick up the second (or possibly master) core so I've narrowed it down to being a bios/hardware issue and not windows or software I'm thinking the best way to solve this would be to try the 1+8 pin trick see if that's the problem but before I do that I'd like to get another opinion on the matter thanks in advance

hawkeye2309

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Its was a 2 day auction so I could have got lucky but I do agree these obviously something wrong with it so my question is without RMAing or sending it back to the guy I bought it from can I fix it at the moment the single gpu works great I've been playing games on it just fine I even did a fur mark to see if it was stable and its fine. I also flashed a newer bios to the one core that dose show in atiflash and that works fine. I just cant understand how the second Gpu completely disappeared there should be some trace of it somewhere shouldn't there

hawkeye2309

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
OK so kind of a bump but i tried the 1+8 pin trick and now the bios of gpu 1 has been erased and when i true to re right I get

Flash type : unknown SPI
followed by write fail and error 0FL01

I also tried 8+3 pin method but no luck but it dose show in windows but I'm not able to use it

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
For those who seem to be confused, the OP refers to their dual GPU as GPU 1 and 2, leading readers to believe they mean a crossfire setup rather than a dual GPU card.

If you aren't able to reflash the BIOS on the 5970, you might have to chalk it up as a loss. It might work with the right trick, but at this point it's well beyond my knowledge.

hawkeye2309

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Ok sorry guys but im kind of high jakinbg this thread but my currnet problem is

I bridged pins 1+8 and it wiped and corrupted the bios for the 1st gpu on the card the one that origianly worked now I cant flash to it whenever i try to flash to it I get

C:\atiflash -f -p 0 ati.rom
Old Device ID: 689C
New Device ID: 689C

Old Product name:
new Product name: Hemlock Master blah blah blah

Old Bios version:
New Bios version: 012.020.000.028.037492

Flash type: Unknown SPI

Write fail
0/20000h bytes programmed

ERROR 0FL01 : press 1 to continue

so l've been looking in to ponyprog or something similar to see if i can make it flash it regardless of whatever errors atiflash is picking up

Dude496

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
A couple of things that you can try...

Are you using a USB 2.0 flash drive? If so, make sure it is in a USB 2.0 slot...I know it sounds silly, but I had the same problem when I tried to reflash the bios on my cards. Once I booted from the USB using a 2.0 slot, everything worked fine.

Also, since your other card works fine, make sure it is completely removed prior to flashing the bios.

Now this part I'm not sure about...I don't really have much of a clue on how multi-gpu based cards work, but does it have an individual bios for each gpu on the card? If it does (again I must stress that I don't know), try using this command to flash both gpus...
atiflash -pa biosname.rom

hawkeye2309

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
yes Im sure its a 2.0 usb but ill try burning a CD and yes the card has 2 separate bios chips

oh and by the way as stated above I only have one card in my computer but is a 5970 which has 2 gpus on the one card.

I'm using the onboard graphics as a secondary

Dude496

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
For some reason I was thinking that you were going to try to quadfire the cards, disregard pulling the other card.

Since it has 2 seperate bios chips, try doing the command
atiflash -pa biosname.rom or atiflash -f -pa biosname.rom

Also you could try writing the bios for the second card by doing this command...
atiflash -f -p 1 biosname.rom