Just a comment on WD drives

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My first PC was a GW2k 486-33VL I bought in 1993. It came with a 540MB HD (WOW!!!!). I added to it a couple years later a WD 1.8GB HD. Later, I yanked the 540 (anyone want it?) and put in a 8.6GB WD which is now in my Dell XPS-T700r. None of these drive ever gave me so much as a bad sector. My GW2k is still in use at our Church's preschool with the now 6 year old WD 1.8GB. Maybe I've been lucky or other like to handle their units with sparks arcing.

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah those old slow WD drives just keep on running, my mother's "100 years old" WD still running nice and quiet. Never had any problem with it. Got my new Maxtor replaced twice, once the one they sent was already bad. LOL

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
boy...you and i have had the exact opposite experience with maxtor and wd drives...
my maxtor drives seem to last forever, without error, but the wd drives i have used, die, either fast, or slow.
and my maxtor drives are faster....especially the newer ones...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

My lil' WD30Gig just keeps on rockin'.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those old drives lasted a long time, their new drives are hit or miss, I've had to replace almost every one I've seen, and the replacement drives are of even worse quality.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Thats unusual. I have never had one go bad in 7 years. I guess you only see one
when its bad though.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I get a lot of recent computers when they get returned. WD's have had the highest failure rate by far in my shop for about 2 years. Before that it was Maxtor. Before that is was Quantum. Somewhere in the middle Seagate made a bunch of bad drives for a very brief period of time.

NONE of my replacement drives from WD have lasted more than a few months.

NONE of my other replacement drives have ever failed.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I don't doubt your word at all. I am just going on personal experience.
It appears all brands have a slump at one time or another. The only
drive I ever had fail was a 1 gig Seagate years back. Right now I have 3 WD's
and 1 IBM. It is a real toss up between the 60GXP 60 gig and the WD 800BB 80 gig
to pick the best one.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I've only rma 2 wd drives, a 2gb and a 730mb (replaced with 1.2gb). I don't have any problems with maxtor or quantum. My oldest wd drive was the 540mb (don't know if it still works). I'm still running 2 wd drives, a 4gb, and a 1.2gb on my OLD P133.

<i>DMA - Doesn't Mean Anything :wink: </i>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Do they send you refurbished replacement drives or brand new?

I just wonder if the shop gets refurbished ones or not because what do they do with all the failed drives.

<i>DMA - Doesn't Mean Anything :wink: </i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I still think it maybe the conditions you keep them in. Maybe too much moisture and humidity and possibly static electricity. The environment you keep it in is also a factor.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Since everyone is reminiscing...

Remember the good ol' days when IBM made reliable drives?
Remember when people looked at you strange when you said "case cooling"?
Remember when there was only one standard for IDE?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
remember when wolfenstein was considered amazing?
hehe
i remember when the mac my dad bought back in the day was faster than the pc...
ha..those days are long gone...but still something to think about...because then you can think...wow..in like 10 years...so much has hapened!

-DAvid

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Check this out. I'm rather proud of it, in p'od kinda' way...

My 45gig 75gxp *just* died. I came in and moved the mouse to chuck the screen saver, and it didn't pull up. Didn't even recognize the drive. Dead, Dead, Deadski.

So, I supported my local tax base and picked up a WD 40gig 7200rpm deal. And, to top it all off, used the WD box and packaging to RMA the 75gxp back to Ibm. I figure, the worst they can do is cancel the warranty because I didn't ship it back correctly (i.e. no 'rubber-foam') and send it to me Cod (which I will refuse). If you *know* the hard disk is going to fail again, what good is it even as a data/game drive? Really has me chapped because it has a 'made in phillipines' sticker when all the bad drives were comming from Hungary.

Prior-Proper-Planning-Prevents-Piss-Poor-Performance didn't apply when they engineered the 75gxp.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if you return the 75gxp to ibm, you get a 60gxp, which is better than the 75gxp....
but yeah...what a kick in the pants to ibm because you are sending it in a wd box....hehe

-DAvid