Need a quick response from you forum pros

gheedorah

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I'm about to buy a machine (finger is on the trigger)- i7 3770k (paying for 10% overclocking) with 16GB DDR3/1866 RAM on a GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H mainboard.

I was settled on an EVGA superclocked nVidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB, but after looking at comparisons on AnandTech (thanks to Manofchalk informing me of their website), it looks like AMD Radeon HD 7970 is a ridiculous improvement over the 660 Ti. I don't know if I'm reading this right (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372) but it looks like the standard 7970 (which is the one it seems is available on ibuypower) ranks at or near the top in nearly every benchmark I've flipped through, and is only 12 bucks more than the 660 ti. Am I reading these benchmarks wrong? Is there something I'm missing? And since it seems all of these benchmarks are for video games, I'd like to double-check that I wouldn't have any performance problems using that 7970 for Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/etc (which is the primary use for this machine). I assume most of that work is about the CPU not the GPU, but just want to double-check. I don't know a lot about any of this.

Thanks for any responses!