No POST Beep or Video Display on First Build; Checklisted

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Bought all these parts after Xmas and started putting them together yesterday to no avail. All fans spin up, LEDs on; no beep or display.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/zvS

All parts are new and from Newegg except for the monitors, keyboard/mouse, WD HDDs. Those are all from my old build, but I haven't actually used any of them with my new build yet, save for my monitor for testing.

I'll go through the shortstuff/jsc checklist. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

1. Read every word of MoBo manual.
2. Plugged in 4pin CPU Power connector.
3. Used all 6 standoffs for my MoBo (Also tried breadboarding)
4. GPU is fully seated; I've replaced them before.
5. Both power connectors attached.
6. Tried booting with 1 stick, 2 sticks, and no sticks. No POST errors.
7. All modules fully inserted.
8. Used the recommended blue slots A2 and B2, or just A2 when only trying 1 stick.
9. Did not have a plastic guard on the CPU socket.
10. Lined everything up when installing CPU.
11. No bent pins.
12. Thermal paste was preapplied, but just the same I was careful when attaching it.
13. Plugged in to the CPU_FAN as requested in manual.
14. All clean.
15. No loose screws.
16. No static.
17. Installed the system speaker.
18. All front panel plugs were connected properly, and they all did what they were supposed to.
19. PSU switch is on; there's also a switch for normal and hybrid on the inside. Tried both.
20. CPU is supported by BIOS.
21. Tried resetting CMOS.
22. No onboard video.
23. All cables and components are tight in their sockets.

Any ideas are welcomed...and perhaps praised.

Solution
Awesome post, much easier to help you this way.

Has to be a bad board or a bad CPU. You seem to have done the list honestly and tried everything already.

I know you were hoping that the list was somehow incomplete, but when you get to this point it's always one of those two things.
Awesome post, much easier to help you this way.

Has to be a bad board or a bad CPU. You seem to have done the list honestly and tried everything already.

I know you were hoping that the list was somehow incomplete, but when you get to this point it's always one of those two things.

Solution
if there a cmos speaker on the mb or there one in the mb box install it. see if there any beep codes. if there none. remove the video card and see if the mb beeps. if there are non pull the mb and see if the i\o shield or the mb is shorting to the case. if there no cmos beeps or video. see if a friend has another power supply to rule out a bad power supply. on the mb check that the cmos clear/reset on the right pins. also check that the mb header cables are on the right pins. if the case has a daughter board see if it the cables on the daughter board are on right.

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
I read just about every other post in the same vein too. I only just made this account when I was out of options.

Anyway, I was really hoping it wasn't a bad part. I don't have any spares for either of those to test. I was thinking of taking it to my favorite local electronics store; they've always done right by me. Would they charge me to diagnose that a part was bad though? Should I just RMA one or both of them? This is so frustrating!

When I was faced with a similar issue I did this:

I bought a cheap compatible processor that I knew I could re-use in SOMEONES build in the near future. (Turned out to be a birthday present for my brother)

When that worked, I knew I had my culprit and RMA'd the CPU. If it had not worked,
I could have done the same with the board.

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's the board at this time. I looked back at the reviews on newegg, and it seems like a lot of people had DOA mobos, sometimes even their replacements were DOA. I'm just gonna refund that and get a different one. Probably in a different chipset too. I'm not happy with a lot of the reviews: no core unlocking, messy BIOS, etc. I'll be referring back to your choosing parts guide (which I was using from the beginning without realizing that YOU wrote it).

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
No offense but you spent all that money and got a 965. Why waste the extra $70 on liquid cooling for the 965 when you could have used that money on a i5. A stock 3470 will beat the 965 by a margin no matter how much you overclock it.

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013

The 965 was a gift, and I had to build around that. Got the H60 because I'll do a modest OC, it's quieter than many fans, and it takes up very little room compared to a HSF.

Looks like as good as any of them. Seems like all these boards have the USB header on the bottom... that's annoying.

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013

I'm fine with the header actually. I've got nice long cords and plenty of space in the case to route them. Anyway, thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'll be posting in no time with the new board! Cheers.

Jedisponge

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Would you mind taking a look at my thread? I'm having a similar problem.