Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Opinions sought on new build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2013 1:01:14 AM

Having recently come into some money (a bequest, sadly) I have decided to replace my ageing rig with something more up-to-date.

I intend to use the rig for 2560x1600 gaming (roughly 30% of the time), video editing and production (roughly 30% of the time), recording music via an audio interface into a DAW (roughly 20% of the time) and miscellaneous less-processor-intensive activities for the remainder of the time: hence the need for me to strike a good balance between cooling and quiet operation.

I would greatly appreciate any comments people might have on my proposed build - in particular if I have made any errors such as choosing incompatible components or poor-quality components or hot/noisy components.

So, here goes:
-------------------

CASE: Silverstone Fortress SST-FT02B Black Aluminum Mid Tower Case with USB 3.0

PSU: 860W Corsair AX860i Digital

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K (possibly overclocked to 4.4GHz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series

GPU: 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Dominator Platinum, PC3-14900 (1866), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-10-9-27, DHX, XMP, 1.5V

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS V EXTREME

SSD: 512GB OCZ Vector

------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, I'll add some hard drives and a blu-ray burner I have spare.

I calculate that I can make this build for about £2200 / US$3600 and I am fortunate enough to be able to afford this amount out of my recent inheritance, so I'm not too concerned about the value for money of the components in my build but rather the quality and the compatibility.

So, if you've got this far, thanks for reading and feel free to leave any comments on the build!

xpabl0b

More about : opinions sought build

January 8, 2013 3:07:27 AM

well since money is not really an option for you. everything looks good. why not windows 8? also Id recommend an air cooler like a noctua d14, those closed loops tend to leak eventually. unless you do your own custom water cooling. everything else is solid
January 8, 2013 11:28:13 AM

Thanks for the reply T91. I must admit I had been thinking about going down the air cooler route and after your advice I think I definitely will, and the Noctua cooler you mention does look good. On the Windows 8 subject, I have read bad things about its use as a desktop operating system: it seems to be very good for touch-based products such as tablets etc. but not for good-old keyboard-and-mouse people like me. I wish MS had released two versions of Windows 8; 'Windows 8 Desktop' and 'Windows 8 Touch' for example. I like Windows 7 a lot so I think I might wait to see what happens with Windows 9.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 8, 2013 11:36:55 AM

But you know that Windows 8 has also an desktop option in it? Just press on an icon and it will look like ordinary Windows. Also Windows 8 boots up faster and is cheaper.
January 10, 2013 1:14:55 AM

Mmm. I'm still not sure I want to change over from Windows 7 (which I really like) yet. I may upgrade in the future of course.