lens filters

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 8, 2005 1:38:58 AM

As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get some
photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.

More about : lens filters

July 8, 2005 1:38:59 AM

mo wrote:

> As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
> mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get some
> photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
> 18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.

A Circular Polarizer will protect your lens and improve most of your
outdoor shots.

--
Slack
Anonymous

In article <NfmdnZxOzMrTbVDfRVn-gw@giganews.com>, Slack
<slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:

> A Circular Polarizer will protect your lens and improve most of your
> outdoor shots.

You don't want to have a polarizer on all the time.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:49:30 AM

In article <6Pkze.1379$IU1.897@fe11.lga>, mo <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
>mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get some
>photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
>18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.

Well ... what I have on most of my D70 lenses are the "Hot
Mirror" filters, originally bought for the same lenses on the NC2000e/c
(Nikon N90s converted to digital for the AP by Kodak). There, the
sensor was supposedly excessively sensitive to IR (such as from glowing
coals or fire), and resulted in strange colors. I *think* that the D70
(and D70s) already have good IR filtering just above the sensor, but I
have experienced no bad side effects from using these filters.

Granted, I did not have them in place for the fireworks
photography on the 4th of July (different lenses, one of which (the 16mm
Fisheye) does not even accept external filters), but fireworks
photography is a strange enough beast anyway so I don't consider it to
be a true test. :-)

Otherwise, just a good Haze or UV filter should do nicely. It
will keep dust and scratches off the lens surface, and is replaceable at
relatively low cost if it, itself, gets badly scratched over time.

Enjoy your new camera,
DoN.
July 8, 2005 4:37:49 AM

hey buddy just get a UV FILTER thats all you need as a newbie ok leter on
you can try other filters. goog luck and enjoy your new camera.

vince...

"mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get some
photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:41:08 AM

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <NfmdnZxOzMrTbVDfRVn-gw@giganews.com>, Slack
> <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> A Circular Polarizer will protect your lens and improve most of your
>> outdoor shots.
>
> You don't want to have a polarizer on all the time.

Ditto. A polarizer is great to reduce reflective glare off of water and
improve colour with clear skies, but in reduced lighting conditions you will
probably want to remove it.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:48:43 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

> In article <6Pkze.1379$IU1.897@fe11.lga>, mo
> <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
>>mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get
>>some photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the
>>standard 18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.
>
> Well ... what I have on most of my D70 lenses are the "Hot
> Mirror" filters, originally bought for the same lenses on the
> NC2000e/c (Nikon N90s converted to digital for the AP by Kodak).
> There, the sensor was supposedly excessively sensitive to IR (such as
> from glowing coals or fire), and resulted in strange colors. I
> *think* that the D70 (and D70s) already have good IR filtering just
> above the sensor, but I have experienced no bad side effects from
> using these filters.

Are you using the Tiffen, Heliopan or B+W hot filter? I can't afford the
B+W, can't find a source for the Heliopan, so I'm waiting for my Tiffen
to arrive. The D-70's IR filter is pretty poor, which is why it makes a
pretty good IR camera with a Hoya R72 on the lens.
July 8, 2005 1:29:01 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I think I'll start with the haze or uv
filter and work my way up after that.

"Vince" <vcl@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> hey buddy just get a UV FILTER thats all you need as a newbie ok leter on
> you can try other filters. goog luck and enjoy your new camera.
>
> vince...
>

> "mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
> mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get
> some
> photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
> 18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.

July 8, 2005 7:30:18 PM

Hey mo. like s said start off with a uv filter and later on do lots of
reading on other filters and how, where and when to use them then you can
chose which one you will need and want. the uv filter will cut out outdoor
haze and give you better color in your photos and of cause protect your lens
also it can stay on the lens all the time no need to remove it fo indoor or
outdoor shots. again good luch and enjoy your new camera

Vince...

"mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get some
photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:23:17 PM

DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Well ... what I have on most of my D70 lenses are the "Hot
> Mirror" filters, originally bought for the same lenses on the NC2000e/c
> (Nikon N90s converted to digital for the AP by Kodak). There, the
> sensor was supposedly excessively sensitive to IR (such as from glowing
> coals or fire), and resulted in strange colors. I *think* that the D70
> (and D70s) already have good IR filtering just above the sensor, but I
> have experienced no bad side effects from using these filters.

The D70 is way too sensitive to IR, so your choice is good. I've got the
B+W 486 filters in 52mm and 77mm, and while they're less needed with the
D2x, I'll still use them for people shots, especially in direct sunlight.

Those would not be a good choice for lens protection, though, as they are
quite expensive and take about 6 weeks to get to you. I don't leave them
on my lenses. (I don't normally use any filters for lens protection.)

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <Xns968CF23E09242dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
>
>> In article <6Pkze.1379$IU1.897@fe11.lga>, mo
>> <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>>As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
>>>mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get
>>>some photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the
>>>standard 18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.
>>
>> Well ... what I have on most of my D70 lenses are the "Hot
>> Mirror" filters, originally bought for the same lenses on the
>> NC2000e/c (Nikon N90s converted to digital for the AP by Kodak).
>> There, the sensor was supposedly excessively sensitive to IR (such as
>> from glowing coals or fire), and resulted in strange colors. I
>> *think* that the D70 (and D70s) already have good IR filtering just
>> above the sensor, but I have experienced no bad side effects from
>> using these filters.
>>
>Are you using the Tiffen, Heliopan or B+W hot filter?

Mine are all Tiffen, FWIW.

> I can't afford the
>B+W, can't find a source for the Heliopan, so I'm waiting for my Tiffen
>to arrive. The D-70's IR filter is pretty poor, which is why it makes a
>pretty good IR camera with a Hoya R72 on the lens.

But there is a web site which documents how to remove the IR
filter in the D70 to get better exposure values, so it must do
something. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

July 9, 2005 6:56:38 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

My Tiffen Hot Mirror arrived in the mail today. I'll go out and shoot a
bunch of test shots tomorrow. I'm primarily concerned with cleaning up
chlorophyll greens and the blue/purple flower problems.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:56:39 AM

In article <Xns968DD511B318Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

[ ... ]

>My Tiffen Hot Mirror arrived in the mail today. I'll go out and shoot a
>bunch of test shots tomorrow. I'm primarily concerned with cleaning up
>chlorophyll greens and the blue/purple flower problems.

Please let us know how it works out.

Enjoy,
DoN.

July 9, 2005 7:00:25 AM

Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

> Those would not be a good choice for lens protection, though, as they are
> quite expensive and take about 6 weeks to get to you. I don't leave them
> on my lenses. (I don't normally use any filters for lens protection.)

My Tiffen arrived in 3 days and costed me about $90.00 including 1st class
mail shipping. I'll probably leave it on the kit lens. It's got a lens cap
on it 99.999% of the time. I didn't put a mark on the UV filter that was on
it for the last 14 months so I'm not too worried.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:58:36 PM

"mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> As a newbie with a brand new Nikon D70s, I am looking to buy a filter,
> mainly to protect the lens. I'll be going to the beach and hope to get
> some photos there. Is there any filter that is better? I have the standard
> 18-70mm lens for now. Thanks Mo.

I just stuck on a UV filter (the lighter variety) for protection and leave
it on all the time. They also make clear filters.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:11:47 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

> In article <Xns968DD511B318Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
> Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>My Tiffen Hot Mirror arrived in the mail today. I'll go out and shoot a
>>bunch of test shots tomorrow. I'm primarily concerned with cleaning up
>>chlorophyll greens and the blue/purple flower problems.
>
> Please let us know how it works out.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.

The results so far are that grass and leaves show a perceivable but
slight shift away from yellow. I could do the same in Photoshop in 5
seconds with a differential green hue adjustment. Deep red/violet blooms
are slightly less likely to oversaturate. No apparent difference with the
blue/violet flower problem. I need to find a piece of black synthetic
material that has severe IR reflectivity to test that aspect. So far I'm
not terribly impressed. Certainly not $90 worth of impressed.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:11:48 AM

In article <Xns968ECD794379Cdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns968DD511B318Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
>> Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>>My Tiffen Hot Mirror arrived in the mail today. I'll go out and shoot a
>>>bunch of test shots tomorrow. I'm primarily concerned with cleaning up
>>>chlorophyll greens and the blue/purple flower problems.
>>
>> Please let us know how it works out.

>The results so far are that grass and leaves show a perceivable but
>slight shift away from yellow. I could do the same in Photoshop in 5
>seconds with a differential green hue adjustment. Deep red/violet blooms
>are slightly less likely to oversaturate. No apparent difference with the
>blue/violet flower problem. I need to find a piece of black synthetic
>material that has severe IR reflectivity to test that aspect. So far I'm
>not terribly impressed. Certainly not $90 worth of impressed.

You might also try shooting the glowing coals on a BBQ grille,
at dusk, both with and without the Hot Mirror filter, and see how
*those* compare. I *think* that the shot without the filter will show a
significant magenta shift.

I must admit that I got most of mine used from eBay auctions --
after the first for the "28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D" which I used on the
NC2000e/c before the D70.

Enjoy,
DoN.