Sign in with
Your question

Fixing an ATI 6950-6970 failed flash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2012 4:21:33 AM

I had picked up my MSI 6950 2GB Twin FROZR II last December, and tried (unsuccessfully) to flash it back then.

I've just built a new 3770K and decided to give it a shot once again ... which "succeeded", though now the system won't boot with the 6950 in position 0.

I have been able to start the machine with a GTS450 in '0' and the 6950 in 1 - though attempts to re-flash the 6950 with the original back-up will report the known "SubsystemIDs mismatch" error.
This is the result of the "successful" update:

The only other (possibly) useful info I can provide is this:

Original VBIOS: 0xA00
Unlocked VBIOS: 0xE400 (this one succeeded then bricked the card)
"Orig" VBIOS: 0xDC00 (part of one of the 6950=>6970 "Mod" packages)

I have used info provided from the following areas:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319333-33-unlockabili...

I have also attempted to re-flash with the the "shader mod", but it returns with the previously mentioned id-mismatch.

Neither command-line norn GUI ATI Flash appear to work. I've not been able to utilize the MSI Live Update function, as this reports the VGA-BIOS is up-to-date.

I'd like to try to re-flash my 6950 with the original VBIOS - OR - litterally with anything that'll get it working again.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 4:46:47 AM

This is not a successful update. If it was you would see 1536 for shader count, memory type listed, bios version, default clocks and other reported specs. Not knowing what you did or how you did it I can not offer other help. I have flashed many 6950 with no problems. Given GPUZ report shown, you may have bricked it.
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 4:55:27 PM

Dogsnake said:
This is not a successful update. If it was you would see 1536 for shader count, memory type listed, bios version, default clocks and other reported specs. Not knowing what you did or how you did it I can not offer other help. I have flashed many 6950 with no problems. Given GPUZ report shown, you may have bricked it.

Yeah, I get that it wasn't successful - which was why I wrote succeeded in quotes; it was the ATIWinFlash utility that said it was.
What I can't understand, is why the flash-utility is able to force some ROM's (the incorrect ones) and it won't accept any others that are correct (even the original back-up ROM I saved from it).

I feel that IF there is a way to push the original back on, it might fix it - but still, most attempts result in ID-mismatch. The command-line method doesn't report the error, but immediately returns to the prompt without any indication that it's done anything vs other ROM-flash operations that take several seconds or more - including these events where the ATIWinFlash *DOES* actually flash.

So, thank you for your responses; I haven't found anything off of MSI's site for ROM's, so the list on TechPowerUp was promising... aside of that, Google and I parted ways LONG ago. They are not my friend.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 6:33:50 AM

FYI the most foolproof method is to copy your card supplied bios. Unlock the shaders in the copy and used that modded bios to flash back with. Using bios found on the web, even the card makers site can often lead to issues. Since what you get from increasing the shader count is about a 5% improvement in some aspects of the card, it is not the same as having a more powerful card. I always advise clients that if they want more power buy it. There is almost nothing in real life use that the stock card won't do that the shader modded card will.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:44:15 PM

Dogsnake said:
FYI the most foolproof method is to copy your card supplied bios. Unlock the shaders in the copy and used that modded bios to flash back with. Using bios found on the web, even the card makers site can often lead to issues. Since what you get from increasing the shader count is about a 5% improvement in some aspects of the card, it is not the same as having a more powerful card. I always advise clients that if they want more power buy it. There is almost nothing in real life use that the stock card won't do that the shader modded card will.

Thanks Dogsnake -
I think I had dome something like that when I bought the card a year ago, and I vaguely recall that trying to flash it back with the same ROM I saved would give me the "mismatch' error - and NOT the "ROM is already installed" message.
SO, more attempts soon.
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:17:35 AM

Dogsnake said:

I just tried this method on a powercolor card and I'm now blue screening at the windows symbol when using the effected bios. I'm still using the card but once I have the time I'll try to use my intel graphics and flash back but we'll see. Dual bios ftw!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 6:23:00 AM

I have been told that 6950's made it the last year or so of production have the additional shaders disabled on the chip level. If this is true than no bios mod will work. All in all seems that if you got the card within the last year or so, it is an increased risk for little gain.
m
l
!