Sign in with
Your question

Display Driver on new PC Constantly Crashing with Nothing Open

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2012 4:48:11 AM

I have recently ordered a custom-built PC from ibuypower.com and a few days after I got it my display driver would continuously crash (it seems pretty random on it's timing and can happen even when I have nothing open, making it hard to even get to my desktop after restarting my pc), and when it does happen it will continually do it over and over after I restart my pc for a solid hour or so, then it will seem to go on like nothing is wrong with it for awhile. It rarely recovers once the display driver crashes. I also make youtube videos and when rendering on this computer, no matter what format I render it out to, the video will result jittery and skippy. I've always been more of a software guy than a hardware guy so I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with my graphics card or PSU, from the research I've done. My specs are as follows:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB - Single Card
PSU: 500 Watt
Processor: AMD FX-6100 CPU (6x 3.30GHz/6MB L2 Cache)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 -- AMD 970
Memory: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - ***Corsair or Major Brand
Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan
Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Monitor: 22" LED 1920x1080 -- ASUS VS228H-P

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
November 24, 2012 4:59:10 AM

Welcome to the world of desktops buddy. Only thing we can tell you is to re-install drivers.... Since none of us here are driver devs...
November 24, 2012 5:27:43 AM

try a old driver like version 12.6

you can find it on the ATI website

also make sure your .NET is up todate
Related resources
November 24, 2012 7:57:50 AM

Make sure all of your updates are installed and then download the latest WHQL drivers from www.amd.com. At this time that is 12.10. Before you install the drivers though uninstall the current drivers and use a program like driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/driver_sweeper_down... to completely remove the current drivers. After that reboot and then install the drivers you just downloaded.

I am running two AMD\ATI rigs and can tell you that I have not had any problems with the current ATI drivers in any of my rigs. I run a AMD FX-8120 with a Sapphire HD 6950>6970 and a AMD FX-8350 with a Sapphire HD 7950 both running the 12.10 drivers with no problems what so ever. Good luck.
!