ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hey guys,

So quick question, for some reason when I play battlefield 3, my cpu usage is at around 90 and my gpu usage is at around 65-80. Does that make any sense? I thought one of them needs to me at 99 (aka the bottleneck)

Thanks!

It makes perfect sense. CPU scores never hit 100% because games never use all the cores equally. A CPU bottleneck only takes one thread on one core to hit near max, which often leaves the total CPU usage well below 100%.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Rockdpm, I have a i5 3570K CPU.

bystander, what you say was a theory of mine, so what I am experiencing is a CPU bottleneck. Does this mean a CPU upgrade like i7 3770K would be useful if I want to start recording my gameplay with software like xsplit or FRAPS?

What is your resolution and games you are noticing the drop in GPU usage? Your CPU should not bottleneck very often, but it will depending the game and resolution you play at.

V-sync will also cause the GPU to drop, especially if you easily reach your refresh rate in FPS.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So I tried to play Batman and for some reason, they game would only play at 5fps even in the menus. I couldnt even get to the point where I actually play the game argg!

but I opened portal 2 and turned it on max setting in a box room, and my gpu hit 98% a few times here and there and in the small rooms it was hovering around 60 which makes sense to me.

bystander is right BATMAN ARKHAM CITY: It has coding issues, and if you disable some settings it's pretty playable at least it was for me.Here what you need to do

Disable PHYSX
Disable the DX11 features ( tessellation and MVSS/HBAO options or whatever).