Sli, or upgrade to 660ti?

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi i have a gtx 560ti and i want to upgrade, to get better framerates (obviously). But i wanted to know if i should sell my 560ti and use that money plus extra to buy a 660ti or should i buy a second 560ti? and put it into sli. So i guess what im asking is whether its better to get the latest cards, or SLI.

Thanks
Tim

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
If you can sell your 560ti, it would be worth the upgrade. Especially because if the fact that, even though two 560ti's have a lot of power, it won't be utilized because of ram bottlenecks. Trust me you don't want ram bottlenecks. I just got a new card and the majority of games I am playing use at least 1gb ram. my 560ti would lose half its fps because of 1gb ram. Also look into getting the 7950, it is a few bucks more, but it is more powerful, and better Price per performance.

Sell the 560ti and buy a new gpu. Personally, I think SLI is best for multiple screens. Otherwise, why deal with a power hungry system (2xGPUs) and you might have to upgrade the PSU in order to power it.

My 560ti was great, but not Ultra great. Plus, my 660ti is pulling 1.5gb in most games.

i think you should do sli for sure. What game is using more than 1gb vram? you can always turn down texture detail or draw distance to save on vram. I seem to be able to max out everything just fine on my 2x 1gb 6850's. Someone tell me what games require more than 1gb vram...... the games i play certainly dont require it..... Maybe games with texture mods or something....

A second 560ti needs a big PSU. According to one tech website:

If your PSU is less than a 650W PSU, then you'd need a new PSU. If so, why not just sell the 560ti and get a less power hungry 660ti? The less power equals more money not wasted.

I play Battlefield 3, and MSI afterburner says I'm using 1.5gb

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I have a 650w PSU, its certified for sli, I was originally going to save up and extra 250 to get another 560ti but now im starting to doubt getting another 560ti because its outdated and stuff. some people are saying that i should get sli and some people say i should get the 660ti. i plan in the future to play on 1, 24" monitor at HD res. I am still undecided

Try selling your 560ti. If you can't get a decent price then reconsider selling it.

If you ask a question people will always tell you to up your budget. People always want more but you gotta decide what is best for you. I think a 560ti handles well at 1080p, but maybe not in 2014 or with a new game release. If you are happy with it now then don't upgrade. Upgrading every two years is reasonable, but not every year.