Sign in with
Your question

Will my system bottleneck a new gpu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2012 8:28:41 AM

Hi there, i've been planning on upgrading my computer and was planning on getting a bundle deal ( in new zealand ) with Intel i5 3570K, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and 2x4 GB G.skill ripjaws 1600mhz ram for $590 which is a good deal in my country. I was planning on upgrading this now and grabbing a new gpu later on ( a few months or so ). recently I have considered possibly upgrading my GPU first. my current system is

Phenom II x4 955 ( stock ) don't really wanna O/C
4gb DDR2 800mhz patriot ram
Gigabyte m720- us3 motherboard
Enermax 535w PSU.
MSI GTX 460 768mb

Ive been thinking about possibly getting a graphics card now, which will be an MSI GTX 660Ti PE, and the rest later which could be a few months down the track. Would it be better to get the new CPU,MOBO,RAM now and gpu later? Or should I grab the GPU now ( which is $500 ) or will my current cpu/mobo/ram bottleneck the gpu?

Cheers!

More about : system bottleneck gpu

a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 8:43:39 AM

Get a new computer now. Then put your Old GPU (GTX 460) in your new computer, play for months and then when you are ready, upgrade to GTX 660 Ti.

I recommend you GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti Windforce 2X OC 2GB. Its the best GTX 660 Ti out there. Check any reviews.
m
l
November 24, 2012 8:51:11 AM

I will consider the gigabyte however, I have found a Sapphire hd7950 Vapor x for $480 so that might be a better buy. Will my PSU be up for the task of the hd7950?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 9:01:22 AM

So, you'll smoke everything in GPU?

600w will be enough for 7950. But whatever you do buy the new Computer now and then upgrade. Because the cpu will bottleneck your GPU if you don't OC, and maybe after OC also, it will bottleneck.

You can spend months playing games with GTX 460. It isn't that bad.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 9:35:53 AM

?????????

games depend on the gpu a lot more than the cpu. you can upgrade the mobo, cpu, ram and get no difference in gaming. so why spend the money and get no results?

get the 660ti or a 7950. even with a bottleneck you can get close to twice the gaming performance than you are getting now or could ever get from that old, memory lacking 460.

now there is a bit of question about the age of your PSU. it will handle either card since that 460 uses over 120 watts and both the 660ti and 7950 will use ~140. the information i found about it was dated in 2005!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1692/7 <--- scroll down to see the recommendation
Quote:
High-End Power Supply
PSU: Enermax EG565P-VE FMA2.0 SLI 535W
Price: $97 Shipped

if you bought that just recently then it will be no problem; it has two 22 amp 12 volt rail and two 6 pin power connections. but if its more than 4 years old you may want to "update" that first thing.

but get a better gpu for god sakes and get better gaming . . .
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:18:16 PM

thats not a bad point, yeh the PSU is old I was going to upgrade that when I get the graphics card. I am a little concerned though for my cpu because its actually been sitting in a really small crappy case for the past year and has been getting temps of around 75c underload, I have bought a new antec three hundred two which has dropped them down to 61c under full load using prime 95. But from what I have read my AC freezer 64 pro should be cooling it. I have a funny feeling my cpu has been damaged over long term high temperature loads.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 8:04:04 PM

a better heatsink will help but that is still a bit high. if you had put a hurting on that cpu you would get some errors; have you run prime95?

before you test it, go look to see what Vcore (voltage to the cpu) is in the BIOS; i have a feeling it may be too high. it ought not be no higher than 1.425 according to spec. if you are running stock speed i am going to guess that 1.2 or a bit lower should be fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 9:32:35 PM

GTX 660 is the safest bet I would say, it's recommended to have a 450 watt PSU and 1 6-pin connecter, so your system wouldn't have any problems with it. It's way cheaper than the GTX 660 ti and the Radeon 7950, and the performance isn't so different than those two.

Look at this review with benchmarking in the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaXVrCFvL94.

m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 24, 2012 10:25:29 PM

instantcoffeenz said:
i think my voltage is 1.35v

that isn't horrible but, i would expect that for a overclock not so much for stock speed.

i really suggest lowering it, maybe even i big jump down to ~1.25v and test for stability in prime95 (the first option that stresses the cpu the most). if you get by 45 minutes* without a crash, try lowering it to 1.20v and test again.

even though you are well above the minimum of 0.85 volts, you still may fail to boot - if so knowing how to reset the CMOS - or - BIOS (same thing for this discussion) will put you back @ default settings. if you can't find the reset jumper/button then just removing the battery for 10 minutes with the computer unplugged will do it.

you ought to see the temps go down.

*granted it is recommended to test in prime95 for at least two hours, but that is overclocking and lowering the volts won't have the negative consequences.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:22:13 AM

in games im getting around 50-55c i believe, what if I just leave the stock voltage and overclock it ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 3:48:19 AM

Just upgrade to a new computer first. Because for few next months there is no Big Game releasing, hence upgrading GPU will be only be for old games that you already played this year.

When you'll get your new GPU in your new Computer, (that should be around March-April) there are new games releasing like GTA 5, Crysis 3 etc. So you'll play all those games on a Total new Rig.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 4:00:40 AM

instantcoffeenz said:
in games im getting around 50-55c i believe, what if I just leave the stock voltage and overclock it ?

what or how you're thinking is reasonable but it can potentially not be good. heat and voltage are the biggest enemies of a least destructive overclock - and they both go hand in hand; the higher the voltage, the higher the heat.

i wouldn't be so concerned over you temp but you have a AC freezer 64 pro and i would think they/it would be lower ~3-5c lower under load. maybe that thermal paste is a bit used up and needs a refreshing? it might be a wise idea to do that before venturing into overclock land but i digress.

it really is a good idea to get the voltage low @ stock before overclocking. that way you know that you are causing the least amount of added stress to the cpu when you starting cranking it up. too many folks will jump on a setting without fine tuning before hand and then end up fussing about their temps when the OC they stopped at would have be achieved @ 0.05 - 0.10 less voltage.

so i really recommend you drop down the voltage a bit before you start. it will save that already stressed cpu from getting unnecessarily stressed more. but if you want to go ahead anyhow, then watch those twmps and the second they get out of hand, STOP AND LOWER THE VOLTS!

:)  good luck.
m
l
!