Can DVD drives be used as a bootable device?

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
I've been looking into the DVD+RW drives here lately and most of the manufacturers say that they can not be used as a bootable device nor do they come with DOS drivers. I was thinking that these drives would be a CD-ROM replacement but it seems that may not be true. Are they any DVD drives that can be used as a bootable device or have DOS drivers, or does anyone know different then the people I spoke with at the "Technical" support line?

If you are asking why, well if you have to replace a hard drive (upgrade or crash) couple of options if it can't be used as a bootable device, have both a DVD and CD-ROM drive, install a CD-ROM for re-installing the new OS, or put the drive in another system and copy the instalation files over somehow.

Anyone hear anything about a bootable DVD disc?

GK

My motherboard can beat up your motherboard!

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
so then it would depend on things like the mainboard and the manufacturer of the drive. great.. I guess I need to ask more questions of those that have thier name of these drives :). Thanks for the info,

GK

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. dvd drives behave just like cd-rom's
had zero probs with my pioneer 106s.
lots of booting.

oh, and ive also booted once from my cdrw.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As lhg said, it's treated the same as a CDROM. Do it as you would with a regular CDROM.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
then the only question would be is... are any of you using a DVD+RW drive, and are you able to boot from it? that's the kind of drive that I wanted to get, but sony said thiers could not be used as a boot device.

GK